Pete Townshend on LZ

hercoflex

• 3 weeks later...

I would pay a lot of money to see Plant and JPJ perform new music together. Given both men's musical explorations during the past 35 years, just imagine what they could come up with if they collaborated on a musical project. Unfortunately, I don't see this happening. I get the impression from some of Plant's comments over the years that his relationship with JPJ has never been an easy one. The gist of Plant's comments seems to be that he respects JPJ as a musician but, they approach music making differently and he has always found him to be a bit prickly.

I'd like to see JP and jpj collaborate as equals (unlikely imo,) on new material that isn't harkening back to lzs sound. And then tour with a decent singer with range and emotion.

I'd like to see JP and jpj collaborate as equals (unlikely imo,) on new material that isn't harkening back to lzs sound. And then tour with a decent singer with range and emotion.

They tried in 2008 (along with Jason Bonham) but nothing came of it. Actually, it's probably inaccurate to write that "nothing" came out of this brief collaboration. One of the singers they auditioned for the project was Myles Kennedy and he mentioned during an interview a few years ago that the four of them came up with several songs. IIRC, one of the original songs Black Country Communion performed had its roots in this aborted Page, Jones and Bonham project.

Is this sort of statement as open to interpretation in the UK as it is in the us? "He's a beautiful looking man "

I joked about Townshend having a man crush on John Paul Jones during an earlier post, but I'm actually not sure what he meant by that statement. Perhaps he meant that JPJ is remarkably well preserved for his age. Pete is a witty guy who has a well deserved reputation for provocative comments. Remember the comment he made about Mick Jagger's member?

• 1 month later...

We saw JP & The Black Crowes here in Chicago, & it was phenomenal (I still have the t-shirt I bought). It was worth getting completely soaked, although we had pretty good seats, about 1/2 way up the main floor, it was an outdoor venue, but it was raining so hard that it rained sideways, they should have played " The Rain Song".

But on to Townshend,he's a grumpy old man, who doesn't even enjoy playing with The Who onstage, according to a recent RS article. I have no doubt that he is good friends with Robert, but so is Carmine Appice. I read an article, a few years back, where Carmine talks about Robert & Zeppelin. He said that Robert did the O2 show because he knew he could do it, for a night, however, he doesn't think that he could do it on a full blown tour anymore, which a reunion would have been, makes sense.

Don't know why so much is made of Townsend's opinion or remarks concerning Zep. This is a Zep site so obviously a former huge rock

star saying anything will be vetted and scrutinized. Rather strange that he doesn't enjoy playing live anymore, as he is one of the few

remaining really aged rock guitarists who seems to retain most of his youthful energy. If Page came out and said, well, Pete's a great

writer and rhythm guitarist , but isn't all that versatile, I'm just curious if that would be a minor blip, or a story, as I'm not sure outside of

these forums what his "star factor" is.

Don't know why so much is made of Townsend's opinion or remarks concerning Zep. This is a Zep site so obviously a former huge rock

star saying anything will be vetted and scrutinized. Rather strange that he doesn't enjoy playing live anymore, as he is one of the few

remaining really aged rock guitarists who seems to retain most of his youthful energy. If Page came out and said, well, Pete's a great

writer and rhythm guitarist , but isn't all that versatile, I'm just curious if that would be a minor blip, or a story, as I'm not sure outside of

these forums what his "star factor" is.

Townshend has struggled with hearing loss for years. Maybe this has something to do with why he no longer enjoys playing live. It's probably a lot harder to play and sing well when you've lost a lot of your hearing. Also, he probably worries about further damaging what hearing he has left.

I just think he's a crabby old bastage, despite the hearing loss. Look up the short interview, you'll see what I mean.

Carmine Appice is a solid drummer, but Jason would be the man, that's pretty obvious. I could see Carmine possibly playing with Robert's somewhere down the road.

Archived