No Zeppelin I?

With Zeppelin II being the bands second largest selling album, behind IV ( HOTH close behind, PG certified more because of it being a double set, but still behind in overall sales) It's interesting to know that Zeppelin I has sold a few million less in the US than II, and been certified a little less in other countries. That means that their are people out there who own II but not I.

Now a lot of this probably applies more to back in the day upon initial release, but still I think it's safe to say that based on the figures, Zeppelin II, even under more current formats, is possessed, by a few, who don't also care to own Zep I.

Those are the two albums that just seem to go together, both chronologically and in style.

As I said, I do think the gap between the two is much smaller by now, all these years later, than the official numbers. I doubt any real Zep fans only own one of the two.

Do you guys know anyone today, or back in the day, that never cared to get I even after II became a classic?

Back in my day ... High school 77-81 all the LZ fans had ALL of them.. It was almost a prerequisite ....funny I really didn't fit with any of the HS stereotype groups but the kids I talked to most were the musicians and weed heads even tho I never smoked myself... Cigarettes that's a different story it was like quitting heroin or what I imagine that'd be like.....

I have to add it is pretty funny using "home room" to discuss the meaning of the Presence cover back then. I think girls and Zep are all I took from high school and maybe some learning happened there too..... I remember when Bonzo was lost to us what a damn depressing day... Should have had it off!

As I said in another thread, Vol II was monumental. This was the album that most Zep fans (from that era) first got introduced to Zep. I was one of them. Although we began the chronological purchasing of Zep albums from that point forward, Zep I was something most fans discovered AFTER buying Vol II. So, Zep were globally famous post Vol II and I can only assume that it was due to this that sales of Vol I suffered a little (by Zep standards).

As I said in another thread, Vol II was monumental. This was the album that most Zep fans (from that era) first got introduced to Zep. I was one of them. Although we began the chronological purchasing of Zep albums from that point forward, Zep I was something most fans discovered AFTER buying Vol II. So, Zep were globally famous post Vol II and I can only assume that it was due to this that sales of Vol I suffered a little (by Zep standards).

Valid point indeed. I'm guessing too, that the bulk of the difference in sales between I and II is based on the casual fans who never went back and bought I after getting II first.

Their first LP is so historic. Zep is not even my favorite band from that era, but that first album is mind blowing for what Jimmy did with it. II just follows along, IMO, very well at that. But the first one has so much history behind it that every time I listen to it I shake my head in amazement. Sure some riffs were pulled from here and there, but Jimmy made them his. That whole issue is overrated and just a reason for people to offer a contrary opinion.

LZ1 is the end of the 60's LZ2 is the start of the 70's

even though it was released in 69. It also contains their signature tune

That for me explains the relative "obscurity" of LZ1

LZ1 is the signpost to a whole new everything

LZ2 is where it goes from black and white to technicolour

Archived