Kevin Shirley on the making of DVD and HTWWW...

2 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Does a definitive list exist of live multi-tracked performances from 75-80?

I know some dates from MSG 75 were multi-tracked, but apparently there are none from 77 and 80 is doubtful.

Page would never consider a soundboard for a release.

Good question. I have never seen a definitive list. Definitely Earls Court and Knebworth. What about 69-73? Just rumors of Bath '70, LA 9/4/70, maybe Japan '71 shows, maybe the Bill Graham productions of '69. It'd be good to have this information just to stew in frustration. ?

10 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Good question. I have never seen a definitive list. Definitely Earls Court and Knebworth. What about 69-73? Just rumors of Bath '70, LA 9/4/70, maybe Japan '71 shows, maybe the Bill Graham productions of '69. It'd be good to have this information just to stew in frustration. ?

Curious as I am not very up on current mixing technology but, do you know if the technology exists to essentially turn a soundboard into a sort of faux multi-track, then master from there? If so that could really open up the possibilities. If not, well, Page did release Paris 69' and I believe that was sourced from a soundboard and not a multi-track. Regarding Plant's voice at the Earls Court gigs, don't know what Page did on the DVD but his voice is mighty strong and clear on those five EC songs, no cracking at all. I have the In the Court of King James DVD and Plants voice does crack here and there (of course R&R is bad but he warms up quickly) but overall his performance is pretty damn good (for 75'). Not west coast March good but sill better than Jan or Feb 75'. I am sure Jimmy could clean it up a bit.

13 hours ago, IpMan said:

Curious as I am not very up on current mixing technology but, do you know if the technology exists to essentially turn a soundboard into a sort of faux multi-track, then master from there? If so that could really open up the possibilities. If not, well, Page did release Paris 69' and I believe that was sourced from a soundboard and not a multi-track. Regarding Plant's voice at the Earls Court gigs, don't know what Page did on the DVD but his voice is mighty strong and clear on those five EC songs, no cracking at all. I have the In the Court of King James DVD and Plants voice does crack here and there (of course R&R is bad but he warms up quickly) but overall his performance is pretty damn good (for 75'). Not west coast March good but sill better than Jan or Feb 75'. I am sure Jimmy could clean it up a bit.

Technically Paris 69 is a plain soundboard, just like the Beeb 69 sessions and Playhouse Theatre show. That didn't prevent Jimmy to edit, trim, splice and EQ the audio at his own discretion. A multitrack however opens up an whole array of possibilities and allows you to work in layers. The Earls Court audio on DVD is not from soundboard but from a multi track (16 or 24,  I can't remember). The cracks in Percy's vox can be removed without affecting the instruments, simply because these are on a different audio track. One of the best examples of the pro tool wizardry, is the fact that the original hammond organ section on HTWWW Stairway had to make way for the mellotron part from the 73 Southampton multi track. Something that is simply not possible with 1/4" (two track) soundboard sources like the 75 shows.

9 hours ago, duckman said:

Technically Paris 69 is a plain soundboard, just like the Beeb 69 sessions and Playhouse Theatre show. That didn't prevent Jimmy to edit, trim, splice and EQ the audio at his own discretion. A multitrack however opens up an whole array of possibilities and allows you to work in layers. The Earls Court audio on DVD is not from soundboard but from a multi track (16 or 24,  I can't remember). The cracks in Percy's vox can be removed without affecting the instruments, simply because these are on a different audio track. One of the best examples of the pro tool wizardry, is the fact that the original hammond organ section on HTWWW Stairway had to make way for the mellotron part from the 73 Southampton multi track. Something that is simply not possible with 1/4" (two track) soundboard sources like the 75 shows.

Interesting, thank you Duck

Archived