A Band's Defining Song

redeyedrichard

My criteria for a "signature song" is the one everyone seems to know,regardless of whether or not they know anything else about the artist.For example;if you were to say to someone,"Do you like Aerosmith?",and they tell you"Yes.They're the ones that did "Walk This Way" right? (I didn't say "Dream On" because I hate that fuckin' song)

It also tends to be a song that a lot of the hardcore fans are sick of.

That;or the song that always ends up on one of the multi-band "Best of" collections.

It's not neccessarily the bands' best song,just their best known,the one they'd absolutely have to play in concert,or risk a riot.

...not to mention the fact that some bands have more than one..

Hello Kith..

I pick "Kashmir" live as performed in 1977 as Zeppelin's defining song. I cannot separate the studio albums with the live performances.... it's all part of it to me.... which is to say, there's not an offically released live version of "Kashmir" that fully embodies what I'm talking about, with reference to the '77 performances...

Hello :beer:

yeah, I was thinking of Kashmir, but I need Zep's defining song to be more rooted in the blues but still have a certain level of sonic experimentation and of course it has to rock out.

How Many More Times

Dazed and Confused

are probably my two top contenders.

Holy shit, I haven't listened to them in years. I think I'll drag out my Becoming X album. That song and Spin Spin Sugar are my faves.

You have the albums?! Dammit, I had to download all of mine, and I hate it! Apparently Virgin doesn't stock any of their cds but there is no shortage of any other bands *slight over-exageration*

oh also the point of this thread:

Adam Ant- Stand and Deliver

My criteria for a "signature song" is the one everyone seems to know,regardless of whether or not they know anything else about the artist.For example;if you were to say to someone,"Do you like Aerosmith?",and they tell you"Yes.They're the ones that did "Walk This Way" right? (I didn't say "Dream On" because I hate that fuckin' song)

It also tends to be a song that a lot of the hardcore fans are sick of.

That;or the song that always ends up on one of the multi-band "Best of" collections.

It's not neccessarily the bands' best song,just their best known,the one they'd absolutely have to play in concert,or risk a riot.

...not to mention the fact that some bands have more than one..

I agree with this criteria. The song can but does not necessarily have to be the artist's best.

I think it would be better to start a topic for an individual band, and then have a discussion as to what that band's Definitive Song is, and what that band's Signature Song is.... this hsould be contrasted to lessen the confusion about the two.

But to try and discuss all bands in one topic for this kind of subject is a little unwieldy.

Do I ask for too much ? ? ? ? :unsure:

So far, I can't say I see a difference between an artists' "defining" song and their "signature" song. One thing I do know is, "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" doesn't fall under either category for Aerosmith.

Yes, Aerosmith is a fine example of a band that deserves their own discussion thread to determine their defining/signature song. I do not think it is Walk This Way. Aerosmith's sig song would have to be "Dream On". No....wait....it would be "Sweet Emotion"..... that's the sig Aerosmith song!!!! It's not easy to pick. :'(

I think there's definitely a distinction to be made between "defining" and "signature."

In my view, the "defining" song would be one that encompasses the heart of a band's sound overall while the "signature" song would be the one they're most famous for. Now obviously sometimes it can be one and the same.

For instance, I don't think of "Stairway To Heaven" when I think of Led Zeppelin but its certainly their most famous song. If I wanted to turn someone onto Zep I wouldn't play Stairway for them. I wouldn't play "Satisfaction" to a teenager asking about The Rolling Stones. But they're both great songs and certainly they are signature songs. I don't know that I would call them "defining" songs though.

For me, these are the defining songs of these bands, the song that you'd play for someone who was just learning about them, the songs that showcase most of what they are and define their sound:

The Beatles - "She Said, She Said" (This was the hardest to nail down. Not only do you have two completely distinct but equal main writers, but their sound changed dramatically over their career).

Led Zeppelin - "The Song Remains The Same"

The Rolling Stones - "Jumpin' Jack Flash"

The Who - "Who Are You"

The Kinks - "Till The End Of The Day"

The Police - "Message In A Bottle"

Springsteen - "Rosalita" (Even if he doesn't play it anymore, although "Born To Run" or "Thunder Road" would work easily as well)

XTC - "Senses Working Overtime"

Aerosmith - "Sick As A Dog"

The Monkees - "Pleasant Valley Sunday"

Bob Dylan - "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall"

Nirvana - "Come As You Are"

Queen - "Tie Your Mother Down"

The Singing Nun...."Dominique"

The Partridge Family......"I Think I Love You"

The Cool Bee Gees......"How Can You Mend a Broken Heart"

The Uncool Bee Gees....."Jive Talkin'"

Barry Manilow......"I Write the Songs"

The Osmonds......"One Bad Apple"

The Carpenters....."Close To You"

Three Dog Night....."One Man Band"

The Fifth Dimension....."Aquarias"

The Monkees....."I'm a Believer"

Carl Douglas....."Kung-Fu Fighting"

The Poppy Family...."Which Way You Goin' Billy ?"

Tom Jones....."It's Not Unusual"

Bobby Sherman...."Little Woman"

Glenn Campbell....."Gentle On My Mind"

Johnny Cash....."I Walk the Line"

For better or worse (usually the first)...

Led Zeppelin: Stairway To Heaven

The Beatles: Come Together

Jimi Hendrix: All Along The Watchtower

Aerosmith: Dream On

Queen: Bohemian Rhapsody

The Doors: Light My Fire

Black Sabbath: War Pigs

Gunz and Roses: Sweet Child Of Mine

Deep Purple: Smoke On the Water

KISS: Detroit Rock City

Nirvana: Smells Like Teen Spirit

Def Leppard: Bringing On the Heartbreak