Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Anyone know where those Plant performances were from. He seems to acknowledge his failing in the second clip. Is Meatloaf well? That feels worse than a bad night on stage. Some performances were just weird.

The second one was from Toronto, 08/18/69 during You Shook Me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

I think my ears have just started to bleed

 

Well, Jimmy is out of tune and Robert's voice is cracking, and, Robert seems kinda out of it. What I find funny is it seems, to me, Bonham & Jones keep changing the beat & coming in early / late in what appears to be an effort to fuck with Jimmy intentionally. The beginning of this song though is the best I have ever heard, very different and spacey. Overall, the version IMO is pretty good and funny at the same time. In fact at the very beginning when the crowd goes crazy right after the song takes off from the opening arpeggio, Jimmy sounds like the crowd scared the shit outta him.

For me this song is a glorious mess, I actually really like it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2016 at 10:37 PM, IpMan said:

Well, Jimmy is out of tune and Robert's voice is cracking, and, Robert seems kinda out of it. What I find funny is it seems, to me, Bonham & Jones keep changing the beat & coming in early / late in what appears to be an effort to fuck with Jimmy intentionally. The beginning of this song though is the best I have ever heard, very different and spacey. Overall, the version IMO is pretty good and funny at the same time. In fact at the very beginning when the crowd goes crazy right after the song takes off from the opening arpeggio, Jimmy sounds like the crowd scared the shit outta him.

For me this song is a glorious mess, I actually really like it.

Actually Jimmy was standing too close to the flashpots at the start of the song, when they went off it knocked him on his ass and freaked him out a bit. You are right, though- the Tempe version of "Achilles Last Stand" sounds like four guys who all know how the song goes but have never played it together before.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh it's GOT to be Live Aid. For years I kept hearing the legends about how shocking it was and kept thinking: "Neh, it'll just be an exaggeration, the hype was too great, I'm sure it was okay really." Then I finally got to watch it. Gawd......and frankly Phil Collins doesn't deserve the vast chunk of blame he gets either. I don't know precisely what Jimmy was on at the time, but he'd taken plenty of it by the time this Led Zeppelin cabaret act had stumbled onto the stage. Considering the way his 'Stairway' solo started, it's no wonder that Plant cut him off early...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man Live Aid. :lol: All kinds of wrong with that one.  Somebody on Youtube thought it was

"The blonde guy from Hall & Oates with Susan Boyle on guitar."

Ooh and how about the guy talking in-between who is dressed like Richard Simmons.
Nothing screams the  80's more than tight shorts riding up a dudes butt.  If anything
Live Aid is just one of those moments I bet they try and forget happened.

They got it right at the O2 concert though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Biggest live fail was not plugging in a decent reel-to-reel deck at every show and recording the performances nor having a roadie shoot a couple full shows from each tour on 8mm or 16mm. 

Well, yeah, there's that too :lol:

I wonder if Jimmy Page in particular regrets nowadays that they didn't professionally film/record more gigs than they did...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/01/2016 at 5:02 PM, Sticks of Fire said:

Biggest live fail was not plugging in a decent reel-to-reel deck at every show and recording the performances nor having a roadie shoot a couple full shows from each tour on 8mm or 16mm. 

Totally concur. It baffles me how few Zeppelin shows were professionally recorded. The band evolved fast, their sound and musical personality changed quickly from tour to tour. History was being made, each show was unique, new ground was being broken continuously (especially in the earlier years) and yet so little of it survives in multitrack. Surely the band realised at the time that these incredible moments on stage would never come again. Jimmy was / is the archivist of the band, yet he chose to record and preserve so little. Why?  As you mentioned, they could so easliy have just taken a stack of reel-to-reel tape on tour and recorded from the board like the Grateful Dead, if only for their own posterity, and part with some cash to record a few professionally. I've played in bands and known a lot of musicians and even the crappiest garage band usually want to record their shows on some kind of device so they can listen back later. Why would the greatest rock and roll band ever just allow musical gold to disappear the moment it is played?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2016 at 8:02 PM, Sticks of Fire said:

Biggest live fail was not plugging in a decent reel-to-reel deck at every show and recording the performances nor having a roadie shoot a couple full shows from each tour on 8mm or 16mm. 

At least we have the bizillion bootleg recordings to listen to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2016 at 7:13 AM, Moddey Dhoo said:

At least we have the bizillion bootleg recordings to listen to.

True, but there are some fantastic performances that unfortunately only circulate on mediocre audience tapes that would really benefit from at least a soundboard recording, never mind multitrack or professionally shot film- though a pro-shot film of something like any of the 1977 LA shows would be a godsend!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2016 at 10:31 PM, Azapro911 said:

Oh it's GOT to be Live Aid. For years I kept hearing the legends about how shocking it was and kept thinking: "Neh, it'll just be an exaggeration, the hype was too great, I'm sure it was okay really." Then I finally got to watch it. Gawd......and frankly Phil Collins doesn't deserve the vast chunk of blame he gets either. I don't know precisely what Jimmy was on at the time, but he'd taken plenty of it by the time this Led Zeppelin cabaret act had stumbled onto the stage. Considering the way his 'Stairway' solo started, it's no wonder that Plant cut him off early...

I disagree, i think Phil Collins totally ruined it, he had no clue on the arrangement of the songs, especially WLL. I mean the least you could do when playing a huge gig with Led Zeppelin is to learn the songs. The other drummer (forgot his name) could have done a great job if Phil wouldnt have played total nonesence over the real arrangements. 

 

Im not saying that Jimmy, Robert or Jonesy were excellent. But Collins ruined it. Totally selfish of his part to have played with them without learning the songs, and even worse playing over the other drummer, who is great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2016 at 3:42 AM, Nutrocker said:

True, but there are some fantastic performances that unfortunately only circulate on mediocre audience tapes that would really benefit from at least a soundboard recording, never mind multitrack or professionally shot film- though a pro-shot film of something like any of the 1977 LA shows would be a godsend!

You'd think some of this would not have to even come out of the bands pocket.   It could have be written into the contract with the record company for each tour budget that the record company pays for a few nights of recording.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

You'd think some of this would not have to even come out of the bands pocket.   It could have be written into the contract with the record company for each tour budget that the record company pays for a few nights of recording.

i don't think the money was the issue- I think it was more of a case of the band simply not wanting to be filmed (or more specifically, Peter Grant not wanting the band to be filmed). Also, if Atlantic were to pony up the dough for a mobile truck to multitrack a few gigs, I think Atlantic would own the rights to the recordings and could therefore put them out as they wished, no matter how good, bad or indifferent the recorded shows were. And we know Page- if he can't have complete control over the recording, it ain't happening.

 

15 hours ago, anniemouse said:

I could be wrong but wasn't the other drummer Tony Thompson who played in Chic.

I think you may be right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, anniemouse said:

I could be wrong but wasn't the other drummer Tony Thompson who played in Chic.

yes he was...Tony was tipped by certain press people as one of the possible heirs to the drum throne after Bonzo died.

Tony was a huge Bonzo fan and while his Chic recordings don't reveal this, his work for his one off project The Power Station with Robert Palmer and the two Duran Duran brothers shows a remarkable resemblance to the huge Bonzo sound

I remember Cozy Powell andCarmine Appice were also cited.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2015‎-‎06‎-‎27 at 1:39 PM, Stairway is NOT stolen said:

Not performing The Rover live in it's fullest

This.  Endless tease, beginning with my favourite song from PG and then segueing into arguably my least favourite (BWS being more of an oddity).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...