Carouselambra

Klape

I'll go with the Rough mix, we can understand what Robert is saying, at least better than before, I love the guitar part in the middle, Jimmy Page's guitar sound awesome with those effects, sounds like a lot of gain/fuzz and reverb but I'm not sure, but I like it, I feel like I'm in heaven/paradise while listening to that part !

24/96's are FANTASTIC! Carouselambra is a swirling, thunderous, majestic piece! The bottom shakes your molars! I have newfound love for it! Th whole album gave me chills!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, they made the cheesy keyboard intro more weird than synthy cheesy...that makes me happy, yet i will now miss the cheesy. It is a companion disc aptly titled, the epic. This is one of the main songs, that always brought me back to listening to zep when i was young. The new sound of this song is great and now i can go back and listen to the old vinyl record and 90 cd in the wintertime. Thanks for this one, page, bonham, plant and jones.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely love this song. The lyric "Where was your word, where did you go? Where was your helping? Where was your Bow?" I've read pertains to Jimmy not attending Karac's funeral and not being there for Robert during that horrible time. Does anyone know if Robert has ever talked about this?

I'm really over the moon with The Epic, I just can't stop playing it.Everything is so clear and Pages guitar in the middle is gorgeous.I stick my neck out and say I prefer it over the original mix but then that's been around a long time.Now if Page had only done something with All of My Love,I'm Gonna Crawl.Horrible muddy,mono??? mixes.

Not an expert but pretty sure Robert did talk about Page "missing" and so on, but he did it indirectly, like "I realized we weren't a family

anymore", no names or exact situations mentioned. Same with Page's playing nosediving and the addictions, the comments were

indirect.

Not an expert but pretty sure Robert did talk about Page "missing" and so on, but he did it indirectly, like "I realized we weren't a family

anymore", no names or exact situations mentioned. Same with Page's playing nosediving and the addictions, the comments were

indirect.

I think the "family" quote from Robert also had a lot to do with who did and didn't show up to his son's funeral.

I'm really over the moon with The Epic, I just can't stop playing it.Everything is so clear and Pages guitar in the middle is gorgeous.I stick my neck out and say I prefer it over the original mix but then that's been around a long time.Now if Page had only done something with All of My Love,I'm Gonna Crawl.Horrible muddy,mono??? mixes.

Have you heard it on headphones? it's 3D. You can feel the keys moving and grabbing both ears, the middle sections are vast and glorious. He should have gone with this mix for the entire album.

I really wanted to like Carouselambra but could never get over that jaunty first half of the song. It is just too 'happy', too lightweight. Jimmy saves it during the second half of the song but it's merely a bit of cosmetic surgery. JPJ is a wonderful musician and his bass and keyboards were an absolutely fundamental part of Zeppelin but he could not write a Zepp song to save his life. Jimmy had spoken to Bonzo about the need to make the next album a real rocker so it's pretty clear that Jimmy was not happy with ITTOD. People say it was the direction Zeppelin would take into the 80's, thank Christ Jimmy wasn't about to embrace that moonwalking crap. What might have been would have been a lot better than ITTOD. All my humble opinion of course. :-)

First heard the song when the album was first publicly released and the local radio station played each side completely (with a commercial break to flip the album over!). The album just showed up unannounced late "in the evening" at the radio station.

Anyway, my musical tastes weren't as varied as I like to think they are now (ahem), and I loved how the album kicked off with the hard rockin' "In the Evening," with Percy's ragged voice, understandable with what he had gone through in his personal life. Then "Southbound Soiree, er... Suarez" -- okay, I thought, Zep usually puts on a silly song on each album. We'll give that one a pass. Then "Fool in the Rain," made me think, eh, what's this wimpy stuff? Then "Hot Dog," what?!! Another silly song? What The What?! A few commercials played, and I thought, okay, The Zepsters are gonna melt my radio with the next side. They have to, right?.

Then, the opening strains of "Carouselambra." I yelled out to no one in particular: "Zeppelin is doing disco!!" [as I mentioned, my musical tastes were very narrow back then, maaaannnn.]

It took a few months, but I finally came to realize what a musical monster "Carouselambra" was. And if you are in the right mood, a nice pair of headphones does this Hard Rock Song justice!

P.S.: I always though Percy was singing, "Where was your pull?" instead of bow. I get the Bow reference, but still think "Pull" might be the word that is being sung. Whadda I kno?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The album In Through The Out Door is just amazing. Everything on it to me sounds just so good, as well as Carouselambra. I'm a professional drummer, and listening to Led Zeppelin's music whether live, or studio, it is so well done compared to anyone else in my opinion. They are my favourite group. About the song though Carouselambra, the sound of the powerful drums, keyboards, guitar, bass, Roberts voice, just fantastic, and the neat rythm changes throughout the song makes Carouselambra if not the most, one of the most technical songs in history. If only they got to play it live. It was created by my influential heroes. Led Zeppelin. Great track!

Long Live Led Zeppelin!

Always loved Carouselambra, right from Day One (I'm an old fart and ran out and bought ITTOD the day it went on sale in Aug. 79).  It was a rather daring departure for Zep at the time, but then again it's not really so daring, is it, it's just more of the "ever onward" ethos of the band.  Page's guitar part in the middle is monstrous (and sounds even better now on the remasters), Bonzo is completely off the hook, Plant's vocal is passionate and memorable, and while Jones' synth work is predominant, I think what doesn't get talked about enough is his fantastic bass on this track.

Too bad we didn't get to see and hear what might have come later.  But Carouselambra is a keeper imo.

Archived