New Remasters and Classic Records

Hello,

I have the new remasters on vinyl. I have also recently learned of the Classic Records set that was released a few years back. Notably, there is a set sealed and unopened on eBay right now.

I am very interested in the Classic Records set, but I'd first like to know if they are generally well received as the ultimate Zep experience on vinyl. Or were they the best until these recent remasters? I am speaking of the 45rpm Classic Records and the 33rpm remasters.

Thank you one and all for any information you can provide on this.

I'll throw in my two cents regarding the 33rpm classic records set.

Led Zep I 200g - Phenomenal! What LZI should sound like. Lots of balls! I have a hard time believing the remaster would best this

Led Zep II 180g - Copy of the master tape was used but after hearing an RL Monarch, this issue is nothing to write home about. From what I read the remasters wins!

Led Zep III 200g - A little bright but very revealing and a great listen. You are either gonna love it or gonna hate it. I love it! Alot of reviews vary between this and the remaster

Led Zep IV - I have been satisfied with my UK plum so I have never bothered. Lots of fans of the 200g but from what I heard the bass has no presence.

HOTH - Satisfied with my UK Porky/Pecko but I have heard this one is disappointing

PG 200g - A little disappointed with this one. The volume on certain tracks would fluxuate on the copy I heard. Could of been a shit pressing

Presence 200g - The best sound you are gonna find for this masterpiece but the UK 1st press is great too along with a US Monarch. Well, let's see what Jimmy has to offer with the new remaster.

ITTOD 200g - Another beauty! Best pressing of the album but in my opinion, a Canadian first press is just as good and cheaper. Bring it on Jimmy!

Coda - No idea

Edited by Jimmy's Dragon Suit

• 9 months later...

Out of interest what source are the classic records re-issues from? 

I saw a YouTube video of a guy slamming the new remasters and saying they didn't compare to the classic records re-issues as the new ones were from a digital source and the CR from the original analog masters. I believe this was also stated on the sticker on the shrink wrap of the CR records if I remember correctly.

The only reason I ask is that the original master tape of Nobody's Fault But Mine didn't have the fade in, and on the original releases the song ran at 6:16. Jimmy added the extra opening riff, bringing the song to 6:28, during the 1990 remasters and it's been on all the reissues since including the CR reissue. This would suggest the 1990 digital remasters as CRs source rather than the analog masters.

Edited by babysquid

All the new remasters are sourced from the original analogue mixdown master tapes - including Presence - and both Jimmy Page and John Davis have said there was no new remixing on any of the albums, so I'm assuming/presuming the extended 'Nobody's Fault But Mine' is the original version... in fact, I seem to remember reading somewhere that Jimmy admitted to there being a manufacturing error back in the day that cut out the original fade-in and was thus restored years later.

Could be mistaken, I'm sure someone will set me straight if I am.

That guy on Youtube complaining about the new remastered II  in comparison to the Classic Records release is a vinyl snob; there's a sect of them out there that believes anything digitized is automatically inferior to it's initial analogue equivalent.  I'll take the new remasters over any previous releases, including first presses, they sound spectacular... but that's just me.

I seem to remember Jimmy commenting at the time of the 1990 remasters that they added the extra faded up bar at the beginning "because we could". Now I may have mis-remembered that but on both the original pressings I had it was absent as well as the cassette version pre remasters. 

Regarding the new remasters I also read somewhere else on this forum that the albums themselves were remastered from digital transfers. I'm aware that the companion discs were mastered from 1/4" analogue.

I love the new remasters by the way. I just wondered if Classic Reords had been telling a few porkies about where they mastered from. It has been known to happen. Did you hear about Steve Hoffman being called out by Bob Ezrin regarding the "original master tapes" he was remastering Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies Lp?

On 5/5/2016 at 0:27 PM, The Old Hermit said:

All the new remasters are sourced from the original analogue mixdown master tapes - including Presence - and both Jimmy Page and John Davis have said there was no new remixing on any of the albums, so I'm assuming/presuming the extended 'Nobody's Fault But Mine' is the original version... in fact, I seem to remember reading somewhere that Jimmy admitted to there being a manufacturing error back in the day that cut out the original fade-in and was thus restored years later.

Could be mistaken, I'm sure someone will set me straight if I am.

That guy on Youtube complaining about the new remastered II  in comparison to the Classic Records release is a vinyl snob; there's a sect of them out there that believes anything digitized is automatically inferior to it's initial analogue equivalent.  I'll take the new remasters over any previous releases, including first presses, they sound spectacular... but that's just me.

The new vinyl releases sound fantastic.

• 1 year later...

@Jimmy's Dragon Suit thanks for your input. 

I didn't strike the first time and am again contemplating purchasing the road case with the entire catalog. If anyone has had first hand experience with the 45rpm LPs I'd greatly appreciate any opinions on what you heard. In particular, the idea of having the original '76 No Quarter in a better sounding light is a tantalizing proposition.

Is the sound truly different from everything else?

• 3 years later...

I did a comparison with my Led Zep II Mobile Fidelity LP with the remastered CD and there was A Whole Lotta difference! I also compared my Classic Records Led Zep IV LP with the remastered CD and again the LP sounded superior to the remaster. Guitars sounded totally different, cymbals decay were much more prevalent on the LP as did Robert's voice. Unless the remastered 180g LP's sound different to the remastered series CD's from the very same source I'd be surprised.