The Next Jimmy Page Studio Album

I will say that I agree with you and do not agree with you. 

"Wonderful One" and "Yallah" are good songs.  This is where I agree with you, however, both of these songs were done with pre-recorded tape loops. 

I will say that I think that "Blue Train" and "Walking into Clarksdale" were two "killer" new songs that Page and Plant recorded.  This is where I will respectfully disagree with you.

I think that "Blue Train" is one of my favorite post Led Zeppelin songs ever.  To me, it is just such a beautiful and passionate song.  Robert's voice evokes passion and beauty. 

"Walking into Clarksdale" oozes mystery and bluesy history.

Interesting as actually I really like "Blue Train", "Walking into Clarksdale", "Wonderful One", and "Yallah".

I also think the album WIC wasn't bad, but minimalism just doesn't suit Page or Plant right, they are

meant for expansive, epic arrangements and the lack of echo and reverb also held back the expected

onslaughts. They were trying some new things, but ultimately I myself can't listen to the album all the way

thru. Live a lot of the songs sounded much better IMO.

That's an interesting view. If I rack my brains, I find albums by both Page and Plant separately which have

individually better songs, but also lack consistency thruout. WIC seems to have a certain steadiness to it

which is lacking from all the other stuff. Still, the production sound was a mistake, Zep was built on a 

solid foundation of reverb and echo. If you gave the Clash Zep production thruout, the results would be

equally odd. A lot of this was discussed on an older thread, actually. I say the album is underrated,, but

it's also a departure somewhat from fans' expectations.

• 5 months later...

well,  we're almost six months into this year already, the year that Page said will definitely see him put his album together and "be seen to be playing"but there's no sign of it looming is there? oh hang on, I expect he's had to shelve it for this year to deal with the stairway court case, so no doubt yet again it'll be put back to "definitely next year" I expect he's already working up excuses for why it wont happen next year either

On 5/31/2016 at 5:56 PM, jsj said:

well,  we're almost six months into this year already, the year that Page said will definitely see him put his album together and "be seen to be playing"but there's no sign of it looming is there? oh hang on, I expect he's had to shelve it for this year to deal with the stairway court case, so no doubt yet again it'll be put back to "definitely next year" I expect he's already working up excuses for why it wont happen next year either

We were never going to get a solo album or a tour out of him this year or any other. The real question is does he have enough motivation left in the tank to do one last live Led Zeppelin cd/dvd project, ideally Earls Court 1975.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2015 at 1:42 AM, kingzoso said:

I think that "Blue Train" is one of my favorite post Led Zeppelin songs ever.  To me, it is just such a beautiful and passionate song.  Robert's voice evokes passion and beauty. 

I absolutely agree that Blue Train is one of their best post Zeppelin songs. It's Robert singing about Karac and the emotional level with which he sings is unprecedented. To me, it's the standout track on Clarksdale!

2 hours ago, Dr Death said:

I absolutely agree that Blue Train is one of their best post Zeppelin songs. It's Robert singing about Karac and the emotional level with which he sings is unprecedented. To me, it's the standout track on Clarksdale!

I really like Heart in your Hand as well as the two stellar tracks which were left off the album, Whiskey from the Glass & The Window.

Yeah, totally agree about that, Blue Train. That album with more regular Zep production, other things, could have been

excellent instead of good with unfulfilled potential. Actually, I thought on my mail that Jimmy had finally announced

a bonafide solo album !! There were two guitar mags(non US, in Barnes & Noble) where Jimmy did mention he is

practicing and preparing to play out, but nothing concrete about a band, or deadlines, etc.. As usual.

19 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

There were two guitar mags(non US, in Barnes & Noble) where Jimmy did mention he is practicing and preparing to play out, but nothing concrete about a band, or deadlines, etc.. As usual.

Yep...early last summer he said he was going to get match fit starting in August...perhaps he meant August 2025.

Yeah, one can wish, but not sure I can remember ANY musician of Page's caliber simply dropping dead at his craft. Even

other older famous rock stars,etc. doing the "back in time" oldies shows are at least still playing. Pointless.

On ‎17‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 9:21 PM, SteveAJones said:

Yep...early last summer he said he was going to get match fit starting in August...perhaps he meant August 2025.

don't rush the man, it might put him off the idea

Does the outcome of the trial hinder any up coming projects?  Ever since the trial was announced
All three of them have been rather withdrawn from the public - which yeah you would expect.

I expect Robert to go back to what he was doing before - same with Jones,  but dear Jimmy what
will he do?  I'm sure he has some little ideas floating around through his mind.  

Yeah, hopefully. I speak in blasphemy but if Jimmy actually lost half his fortune from this carnival sideshow( incredible it

got this far), I think Jimmy would actually be very motivated and possibly create some great music again. That's the 

situation: this case will die, and there goes Jimmy back into his coffin. I was one of those hopeful idiots who  thought

even after Zep Jimmy is gonna continue to seriously innovate, do further avant-guarde soundtracks, the world is his

oyster. Well there was still some great playing but a 2nd wave of brilliance , not even close.

9 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

Does the outcome of the trial hinder any up coming projects?  Ever since the trial was announced
All three of them have been rather withdrawn from the public - which yeah you would expect.

I expect Robert to go back to what he was doing before - same with Jones,  but dear Jimmy what
will he do?  I'm sure he has some little ideas floating around through his mind.  

what will jimmy do? you ask. with regards to any solo album or tour etc, nothing, the same as he's been doing for many years. I expect he'll keep claiming how close to activity he is but we all know he's been peddling that line for over a decade now

I just don't understand what goes on in Page's head. he did a massive reissue campaign in 2014/2015. He oversaw hundreds of photos for his book way back in 2010, as well the photos for the deluxe versions of the Zeppelin albums. 

And did he not once think 'Seeing all these old photos of myself onstage, wearing my Les Paul, maybe it's finally time to get out there again'. I mean, he's Jimmy Page, for one thing, it won't be hard to find musicians (I mean, what musicians WOULDN'T want to play with Jimmy Page?)

The only thing I could think of is the fact that he is completely out of ideas. I doubt it though. Someone who is as creative as Page can't really be out of ideas. Even after Zeppelin, he still had quite a few really good ideas (Writes of Winter, The Release, Emerald Eyes, Shake my Tree, When The World Was Young). 

I always imagined it would be Plant who would release very little, with Page being the one who would have an incredible solo career. Although as a Musician and songwriter myself, it is much easier to write Lyrics than melodies and music (for me anyway).

And it is frustrating for Page to constantly say that he has 'New Material' and is 'Getting ready' to get out there. I mean, I get it, he has nothing left to prove to the public and his fans. But does he not want to get out there to prove to HIMSELF that he can still perform? Even if it's just a 'Career highlights' tour. Just something to prove that he's still around as a musician.

I honestly don't know.

I'm not sure we will ever know. I do agree with you Stairway, I also thought Robert would have less of a solo career. I really don't care for 99% of the stuff he has done.

There could be more going on, than the public is aware of, possible health issues being one. I also think there would be musicians lined up around a block somewhere, to get a shot at playing live with Pagey.

A possibility regarding Page touring is maybe he is afraid of the temptations of the road, not wanting to fall back into bad habits now that he has such a large family of which he is the Grand Patriarch. However that does not explain his lack of output. One does not have to tour to put out albums, especially with his resources...just ask Steely Dan & The Beatles.

On 6/25/2016 at 10:30 AM, IpMan said:

A possibility regarding Page touring is maybe he is afraid of the temptations of the road, not wanting to fall back into bad habits now that he has such a large family of which he is the Grand Patriarch. 

Nonsense. He'd play every hockey arena in the world with a reformed Led Zeppelin. The guy simply has no ambition for anything less.

Yeah you have point S A J.  I bet Jimmy would drop everything if Robert called him up and  said
let's do this already.  Something would have to be very wrong physically if Jimmy were  to decline a 
Zep reformation of some type, or even working with Robert in general.  It's as if Robert is a kind
of safety net for Jimmy ,  that or an Achilles heel for him. 

6 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

Yeah you have point S A J.  I bet Jimmy would drop everything if Robert called him up and  said
let's do this already.  Something would have to be very wrong physically if Jimmy were  to decline a 
Zep reformation of some type, or even working with Robert in general.  It's as if Robert is a kind

Over reliance upon Robert Plant is simply the price Jimmy's paying for not cultivating a proper solo career after 1980.

13 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

Bingo.  Robert is def his safety net.  He is petrified to do anything without Robert, and after Zep split, I really felt like it would be the other way (Plant over relying on Page). 

With Plant continually refusing to do more Zep tours, Page will sit around until such time as he is physically unable to play.  Sad.  So much talent.

Like others, I'd assumed that Jimmy pretty much wants to collaborate with Robert, above all else. Yet, when Robert told Jimmy 'if you've got anything acoustic, let me know and I'll give it a whirl', Jimmy apparently 'just walked away'. Does that mean that Jimmy's interest is only in a Zeppelin reunion and not something more low-key? I dunno. 

Archived