The Next Jimmy Page Studio Album

What I would think would be really, really cool would be to hear Jimmy Page release an album with a different singer on each track:

- Roger Daltrey

- David Grohl

- David Coverdale

- Paul Rodgers

- Jeff Martin

- Joe Elliott

- Chris Robinson

- Ian Hunter

- Sass Jordan

- Burton Cummings

Jimmy has been indicating in recent interviews this month that he is ready to pick up the guitar again and "be seen playing", he gets a bit of a mischievous look in his eye when he talks about it. What do you think he intends?

Its hard to know. He's been talking about new songs and a new album since 2003. He keeps bringing it up in interviews but it sounds like he doesn't really have a clue what he intends to do. I think if he wanted to be out playing, he'd be out playing. I personally believe that the only thing he's bothered with is a Led Zeppelin project, and thats never going to happen, so its a possibility that he's retired now.

Besides any other considerations many fans may not realize that Jimmy after all the fame and even the heavy media blitz for the

recent releases/ companions remains a shy and retiring person. Disagree ??? What really unknown facts has he revealed in all

these talks/interviews ??? My point is that he probably won't have a problem getting his chops up, but Jimmy in other project

situations would typically have a intermediary contact desired musicians. The idea of using all different vocalists is interesting.

but actually I think Jimmy would actually get real nervous about such a route. Everyone is just going to have to wait. Page's

own sensitive nerves are likely a huge part of any comeback.

Jimmy has been indicating in recent interviews this month that he is ready to pick up the guitar again and "be seen playing", he gets a bit of a mischievous look in his eye when he talks about it. What do you think he intends?

Intentions are irrelevant, it's what he does that matters. Personally, I don't think he'll do anything of consequence as a solo artist now.

I read an interview yesterday in which Jimmy said he doesn't necessarily need a singer on each track. He will rehearse the song and decide whether lyrics are necessary.

More talk, same idle half promises he's been spouting for years. Forget it, he's done as a solo artiste, not that he ever really was one in the first place.

i find his choice of words very unusual "i want to be seen to be playing" which is the line he has used numerous tmes now, so its his intended statement, not a slip up of words. seems to me this could cover a lot of things including a video for instance rather than playing gigs.

all immaterial anyway, he's never going to get any solo project together, gigs or no gigs

I read an interview yesterday in which Jimmy said he doesn't necessarily need a singer on each track. He will rehearse the song and decide whether lyrics are necessary.

His first and only solo album, Outrider (1988) has instrumental tracks; he could take the same approach to a second solo album.

Coverdale says he actually suggested to Jimmy that he should do an album with several guest vocalists, 'like a Santana thing'.

As MCAN said above, Jimmy's apparently not going to even decide if his new stuff 'needs embellishing' with vocals until later.

Which is an approach that actually could lead to Jimmy choosing different singers to suite the mood/style of different songs.

As Steve said, however, it could also mean at least some instrumentals, as with Outrider. Which may be what Jimmy meant by him doing 'a guitar project' next.

Hmmm.

As for what might be on any new solo album, Jimmy once said said that after Walking Into Clarksdale he'd written 'about a dozen' songs for another album with Robert.

Robert 'heard them and said that some of them were really good', but he didn't want to do another Page and Plant album, so none of that stuff got used.

No one seems to have asked Jimmy much about these songs, so I don't know if they were just riffs, sketchy ideas or fully sussed arrangements.

It sounds like there's a fair amount of unused ideas that Jimmy could potentially work on relatively easily, though.

There's also Embryo and the newer stuff that he said he'd written but hadn't actually recorded.

How accurate any of this is and whether the years of talk and promises will finally translate into action is another matter, of course!

Exactly. Don't hold your breath. Having said that, I would bet anybody $500 Page will eventually reemerge either live or in the studio.

But I'm not wasting more than 5 seconds speculating when it will happen. Off the forums, a total waste of time thinking about this.

What I would think would be really, really cool would be to hear Jimmy Page release an album with a different singer on each track:

- Roger Daltrey

- David Grohl

- David Coverdale

- Paul Rodgers

- Jeff Martin

- Joe Elliott

- Chris Robinson

- Ian Hunter

- Sass Jordan

- Burton Cummings

Pat Monahan is another one that I would love to hear record a song with Page

Q: When you came out of retirement, was it difficult for you to get your chops back?

Les Paul: I was desperate, but I still didn't scramble. I guess I just leaned more on what was in my mind than what was in my chops. I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes. With 20 notes he's got a lot of problems. My chops were not as fast as when I was a kid; things that were done a certain way before were harder to do when I came out of retirement. But then the speed came back. Chops come back, and you don't worry about them. I think the most important thing about playing is to walk out with confidence and look the people in the eye and say, "Here I am," and go and do your thing.

I'm in alignment with Les Paul's actual experience of getting back to playing live gigs. Do you really think Jimmy Page doesn't know how to prepare for live gigs?

That's a great quote from Les Paul.

Honestly, I just don't think Jimmy wants to put in the work.

His post Zep playing peaked in 98-99 after 5 solid years of live playing and studio work etc.

He doesn't have 5 years of solid work in him, he looks good, but he is frail.

I'm just being a realist, I'm also a guitar player and musician I'm not just talking out my ass. Getting your chops back, especially after a essentially 16 year layoff, gonna take time and Jimmy doesn't have a lot of that.

Archived