The Next Jimmy Page Studio Album

On 8/12/2016 at 0:53 PM, JTM said:

Ask those same people to give you a few bars of "Hi Ho Silver Lining " and they will sing away, ask for a few bars of "Kashmir" and you'll get nada...

I was at Fenway Park tonight and heard Kashmir played over the sound system to 35000 Red Sox fans.. Hi Ho Silver Lining didn't make the playlist and probably has never made the list. Must be a British thing...

55 minutes ago, Mithril46 said:

Beck has been touring practically every other. year since the 90's. Usually he'd be paired up with Santana or  other

guitar monster and they would be playing to large attendances. Of course he is nowhere as rich as Page, but to say

he needs the money, no way. Beck and Page together would be cool, but people don't realize that the RARHOF jam

Page hardly played anything. No lead guitar, no cool fills, barely backup guitar even. Page would need a good 9 mos-1 yr

daily dedication just to play reasonably well. This situation is so far apart and Page, unless he's been secretly practicing for

a while, forget it.

At the RRHOF Page was playing what he originally played on Becks Bolero.. 12 string guitar. Kind of hard to solo on a 12 string.. Besides it was Becks night. 

39 minutes ago, the chase said:

I was at Fenway Park tonight and heard Kashmir played over the sound system to 35000 Red Sox fans.. Hi Ho Silver Lining didn't make the playlist and probably has never made the list. Must be a British thing...

At the RRHOF Page was playing what he originally played on Becks Bolero.. 12 string guitar. Kind of hard to solo on a 12 string.. Besides it was Becks night. 

Yes, and this is what has always set Page apart from his contemporaries, humility. Even during Zep's induction in 95' Page let both Young & Plant solo on WTLB, he did not take a solo and that was HIS gig during a time he was performing live and performing well. 

Page should just give it a go before its too late. Whatever form it takes people will appreciate it. He does not need Plant or Jones, he can take care of business if he so wishes.

3 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

Jimmy is not like Steve Vai that will put out some stupid and meaningless record for shits and giggles.   It is too late and Jimmy will be 73 soon.  The turkey is well beyond burnt and toasted and left too long in the oven. 

Steve Vai , while not for everyone, is awesome. A class act too. He treats Page with respect ... unlike some here on his own bands webpage. 

How many here if you won the lottery and became a multi millionaire would stay at your job?

How many of you plan on working at 73? How many of you would work as hard as Page if you had his legacy and his bank book at 73?  He'll get to it when he gets to it.

3 minutes ago, the chase said:

Steve Vai , while not for everyone, is awesome. A class act too. He treats Page with respect ... unlike some here on his own bands webpage. 

I totally get your defense of Page, chase, but, as a musician, you open yourself up to criticism.

justin Beiber?  Please!  But I can't deny he is hugely successful.

supposed widest range in a singer?  All Rose.  Must be scream and scream louder, cause I sure as hell don't hear it.  

whitney Houston?  Snore!  Sold gazillions of records.

just cause I don't like these people, I can accept their success.  I can still say their work sucks.  My opinion.  And likely, they couldn't care less what I think as they cash their royalty checks!

it really comes down to what has Page done outside of Zep as a measure of his talent?  Except for DW2 and Coverdale, I could name fifty guitar players who have put out better stuff and appear to be better players.  I have come to the conclusion that if Page hadn't had Zep, he might not have even made the top one hundred in guitar player polls.

sadly, this thread is pointless.  There is no "next JP solo album".

Well that's absolutely right, Page has much humility and that is a important reason why Zep was so great. Nobody ever

called him a dictator, but Post-Zep I think the shyness and humility became a problem. In Zep when the band was

coming up With new songs etc. Page may suggest something, but as everyone was already playing FOR the song

anyway, Jimmy didn't have to deal with the ego nonsense of " why aren't I in the song more ??". So after Zep In the

varied projects, I never heard of Jimmy having musical clashes in person, he just took it in and eventually the

band was no more(the Firm, for sure). I think some fans might think, "well anything Jimmy is part of, he will step

in and correct any weak material or clich'ed parts". I really think Jimmy got massively frustrated post-Zep, he knew

that now it would be back to ego nonsense in the band, not which part fits the song best.

I think Jimmy is enjoying the fruits of his labor and looking back as an elder statesman of hard rock.

He survived a crippling drug addiction, loss of his band, his close friend who was his perfect foil on drums, his ace bassist, keyboardist and arranger and his co-frontman and main songwriting partner. He's come out of it clean sober and healthy.

I would love to see a new album too. I'm as puzzled as the next guy why it hasn't happened, but I'm not going to go on a witch hunt because he is not working on what I want him to.. It's not up to any of us.

A good summup of the situation. However, some rock fans may not be aware that a very large percentage of blues

and jazz guitarists, often having styles much more difficult to play than rock, literally tour and release new material

until they drop dead. Just pointing out a misconception. I've seen many of the artists I speak of, over in Europe and

Japan these artists get practically exorbitant fees for playing live. There certainly are great but destitute, sick, mentally ill

or whatever old blues or jazz players who are now in Jimmy's supposed non playing shape, but not as many as you think.

I think we're all just frustrated that our guitar hero is not out there doing what he does best. When we see his peers - Clapton, Beck, etc - still recording and performing to a very high standard, we get the green eyed monster, and want our man to be rubbing shoulders with them. As Keef said, Jimmy is "shy boy" and it's not doubt harder for him to get out there and do stuff sober in his '70s. I just get the feeling he's achieved all he wanted to achieve in music and it's over. When he does do things these days, it tends to be one-off events like the olympics ceremony. Events which he feel befits his status as a rock god and are on a global stage.

8 hours ago, the chase said:

How many here if you won the lottery and became a multi millionaire would stay at your job?

How many of you plan on working at 73? How many of you would work as hard as Page if you had his legacy and his bank book at 73?  He'll get to it when he gets to it.

I agree, he's not for everyone and I personally never really listened to him except for working with David Lee Roth and love those releases.

Steve is at least still working and putzing around.   Jimmy is not the type to rush with things, he would be in the studio or rumors building up, but I don't see it happening.

20 hours ago, the chase said:

Steve Vai was a guest musician on David Letterman years ago. Dave (jokingly) complained about the music and asked if they knew any other music and Steve started playing Whole Lotta Love to audience cheers.

I also think losing Michael Lee was another major setback for Jimmy. Great young drummer cut down in his prime. Watch the two of them clooge together an awesome set at NetAid and wonder what could have been. I know I do. Lee was right there in the thick of it for Page.. Sad loss.

15 hours ago, TheGreatOne said:

I agree, he's not for everyone and I personally never really listened to him except for working with David Lee Roth and love those releases.

Steve is at least still working and putzing around.   Jimmy is not the type to rush with things, he would be in the studio or rumors building up, but I don't see it happening.

If you want to hear Vai at what I think is his best and most obscure Listen to  the Public Image Limited recording known as  "Album"  "Compact Disc"  or "Tape" depending on what medium you bought.

4 hours ago, the chase said:

I also think losing Michael Lee was another major setback for Jimmy. Great young drummer cut down in his prime. Watch the two of them clooge together an awesome set at NetAid and wonder what could have been. I know I do. Lee was right there in the thick of it for Page.. Sad loss.

I've thought the same thing, and not even on just on a hunch but from a photo. It was of Jimmy (and another fellow, not sure who) leaving Lee's funeral. I usually don't get emotional  looking at a picture but you could tell Jimmy was in grief, crying even. It was touching to me.

I liked Lee's drumming even though to my ears it was stylistically different from Bonzo's or Jasons. But when I saw him with Page/Plant back in 98 I thought Jimmy drew from Lee's infectious energy. He just looked like he was having the time of his life pounding the hell out of those drums. And agreed, Jimmy and Michael looked like a musical match at the NetAid concert, no time for regret's but what could have been eh?  Either way I cant be sure but I suspect Michaels passing was a big loss for Jimmy.

59 minutes ago, SuperStatic said:

I've thought the same thing, and not even on just on a hunch but from a photo. It was of Jimmy (and another fellow, not sure who) leaving Lee's funeral. I usually don't get emotional  looking at a picture but you could tell Jimmy was in grief, crying even. It was touching to me.

I liked Lee's drumming even though to my ears it was stylistically different from Bonzo's or Jasons. But when I saw him with Page/Plant back in 98 I thought Jimmy drew from Lee's infectious energy. He just looked like he was having the time of his life pounding the hell out of those drums. And agreed, Jimmy and Michael looked like a musical match at the NetAid concert, no time for regret's but what could have been eh?  Either way I cant be sure but I suspect Michaels passing was a big loss for Jimmy.

I saw them live  from the 5th row and I can tell you that while Lee is no Bonham,  he was playing his ass off and made the best attempt of any drummer i've seen at capturing Bonham's vibe

Mentioning Michael Lee, also Bonzo, Jimmy really needs a very particular drummer to  make his music sound best. After Zep,,

Jimmy if most noticed, really had a nightmare in finding a suitable drummer to inspire him  and  enhance his music. Some

may not realize that Bonzo was kind of the rhythm guitar at times when Jimmy soloed. Also some Zep riffs simply don't

work without the drummer filling up empty space, or playing counterpoint to Jimmy. Saw Lee live a few times with P/P,

always thought he was locked in with Jimmy a lot. About Vai, he is a true original, but certainly it's unfair to compare him

to other rock guitarists., as IMO he really isn't a rock guitarist. He's coming from a Zappa mindset, where to sound ordinary

is a grave sin.

On 7/29/2016 at 2:10 PM, Mithril46 said:

Yeah, that's funny. Still, wondering what exactly he's looking for at those guitar shops. The cynical( but deserved mindset)

is that he's trying to fool people that he's started cracking on a serious project. Guitars he certainly doesn't need, but there

have been significant advances in technology even since the 02 show, he might be checking out some advanced pedals

or home recording equipment.. Even if he is actively getting things together, a snails' pace it is. Of course the shop owners

etc. Are probably sworn to secrecy, as so many Page activities seem to be . Of course anyone with a good smartphone

in the store could have recorded/ videod much, but again mysteriously this just doesn't happen to Jimmy.

Curiosity...personal interests...discussion of having maintenance work done on axes he already owns...I don't take it to mean he's actively working on anything of significance.

On 8/1/2016 at 0:17 PM, SuperDave said:

I think having good management may have helped, but what do I know?  Just how I see it in away. 

What do you think?

I definitely agree that having good management (which he hasn't had since the Page/Plant era) can make a significant difference, particularly when the level of ambition for the artist is in doubt. Yes, good management can bring the right musicians and producers together, or secure tantalizing opportunities, but at the end of the day I think this dog simply won't hunt regardless.

On August 14, 2016 at 11:35 AM, the chase said:

I think Jimmy is enjoying the fruits of his labor and looking back as an elder statesman of hard rock.

He survived a crippling drug addiction, loss of his band, his close friend who was his perfect foil on drums, his ace bassist, keyboardist and arranger and his co-frontman and main songwriting partner. He's come out of it clean sober and healthy.

I would love to see a new album too. I'm as puzzled as the next guy why it hasn't happened, but I'm not going to go on a witch hunt because he is not working on what I want him to.. It's not up to any of us.

I totally agree brother, but to take this one step further, Jimmy should keep his yap shut and stop making pronouncements that he knows full well are not going to come to fruition. You are right, nobody has a right to expect anything from Page, but when he opens his mouth and says that something new is imminent, some (naive) fans are going to accept him at face value. Those days are long gone for me, but I can see why people get their hopes up and later feel let down. And besides, Page's credibility has always been suspect, and his annual pronouncements are a re-inforcement of that fact. Some people would rather he simply operate with integrity, and stop with the 2 decades of obvious untruthfulness. 1996 was when he started this nonsense, and it just needs to stop. The man is a wonderful artist, and he should be remembered as such.

1 hour ago, The Dark Lord said:

I totally agree brother, but to take this one step further, Jimmy should keep his yap shut and stop making pronouncements that he knows full well are not going to come to fruition. You are right, nobody has a right to expect anything from Page, but when he opens his mouth and says that something new is imminent, some (naive) fans are going to accept him at face value. Those days are long gone for me, but I can see why people get their hopes up and later feel let down. And besides, Page's credibility has always been suspect, and his annual pronouncements are a re-inforcement of that fact. Some people would rather he simply operate with integrity, and stop with the 2 decades of obvious untruthfulness. 1996 was when he started this nonsense, and it just needs to stop. The man is a wonderful artist, and he should be remembered as such.

Yes, I don't want to be cynical but those yearly pronouncements of  impending new music are maybe not treated quite with the optimism they were say 14 years ago.  However there is a range of high quality scarves, mugs, and T-shirts to purchase while we wait.*

*Nearly forgot the limited edition photos for those of you who own oil fields or diamond mines...:o

13 hours ago, Stairway is NOT stolen said:

So what was the real reason why Page never started on a second solo album? In Outrider interviews, he talked about how he would have approached the next album, but he didn't say anything more than that.

Initially, he did intend to record a second solo album. However, he sold The Sol studio in Summer 1989 and then turned his focus to producing, releasing and promoting Led Zeppelin: The Definitive Collection in 1990.

In late January 1991, Rod MacSween from ITB Promotions (an old friend of David Coverdale) contacted Page's management to inquire if Jimmy would consider a collaboration. Brian Goode (Page's manager) discussed it with him and it was arranged for David & Jimmy to meet in Manhattan in March 1991. The rest is history...and essentially why there was no second solo album.   

More distractions from the "next solo album"..

In an interview in the latest MOJO magazine #275 October 2016, when asked if the release of TCBBCS (sorry Kiwi) is the end of restoring LZ's available catalogue Page says "I'm not sure, I have a few other ideas" he goes onto say "I'm really keen to revisit the stuff I did in The Yardbirds" mentioning the bands final sessions at CBS studios in NY in May 68 and the ill fated Anderson Theatre show of March 68. Page says " I've been working on that. I'm in touch with the guys in The Yardbirds  and I want to make sure the material comes out because those guys were so good and I really want that stuff to be out there so let's see"....

Do I hold my breath..........

23 minutes ago, JTM said:

More distractions from the "next solo album"..

In an interview in the latest MOJO magazine #275 October 2016, when asked if the release of TCBBCS (sorry Kiwi) is the end of restoring LZ's available catalogue Page says "I'm not sure, I have a few other ideas" he goes onto say "I'm really keen to revisit the stuff I did in The Yardbirds" mentioning the bands final sessions at CBS studios in NY in May 68 and the ill fated Anderson Theatre show of March 68. Page says " I've been working on that. I'm in touch with the guys in The Yardbirds  and I want to make sure the material comes out because those guys were so good and I really want that stuff to be out there so let's see"....

Do I hold my breath..........

Now that sounds intriguing! Fingers crossed for that one.

I wouldn't think Jimmy would be diving into The Yardbirds  material because it's not really his
baby. Yes his creative spoon was in the pot stirring away prior to Zeppelin, but there seems
to be a number of hoops and hurdles when it comes to doing a Y B project. His hands are bit
more tied,  are they not?  Question: Who has the keys to The Yardbirds  vault?  If there is such
a thing? McCarty? Dreja?

It'll be a weird time in music when those musicians who came out of the 60s and 70s are no
longer here.  You take it for granted because there is somebody from each iconic group that
is still kicking it and able to carry on their bands legacy through various projects.  They don't
even have to be together touring.  It's the fact somebody original still holds the keys to the
kingdom and can dig out unheard goodies. 1 8-25 years from now these ol' gents will be well
into their 90s and the term dinosaurs will finally have real truth to it.  Almost like an extinction.

Haha just think there's an 18 year old kid who when they turn 50 ( like many of you) will be on
a fan site speculating when their once-upon-a-time favorite rapper will be digging into his vault
and sharing some unreleased hip hop "dis "tracks .  C'mon I know you all wanna hear about the
fueding between East Coast and West Coast rappers 
:offtopic:

Right now I'm game for whatever Jimmy fancies doing. It's nice he's not ill able to even consider
this stuff.

2 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

I wouldn't think Jimmy would be diving into The Yardbirds  material because it's not really his
baby. Yes his creative spoon was in the pot stirring away prior to Zeppelin, but there seems
to be a number of hoops and hurdles when it comes to doing a Y B project. His hands are bit
more tied,  are they not?  Question: Who has the keys to The Yardbirds  vault?  If there is such
a thing? McCarty? Dreja?

Jimmy has tried to do something with that material for more than 16 years now, and I have posted about his intentions many times. What it has always come down to in the past is that Jimmy wants a producer's credit for the effort, and Dreja/McCarty are adamantly against Jimmy Page getting a producer's credit on any Yardbirds era material.

Edited to add: On Feb 15, 1977 Epic Records destroyed the album masters, parts, and lacquers for 'Live Yardbirds Featuring Jimmy Page'. However, Jimmy acquired the performance master tapes in the 1980s.

Archived