Jimmy Page and the XYZ tapes

I would put both Page and Squire both in the top 3 for their instrument, and I'm sure there are polls that also support that. But a project that puts them together doesn't guarantee the result would be successful - and from what I heard on You-Tube, it wasn't. There's no doubt the groups you all are naming were and are still successful, and the musicians are all very good. I just tend to think that a dominant or improvisational bass player usually winds up with a less than stellar guitarist, and many top guitarists want a bass player to be more of a hold the line type of guy.

• 3 months later...

To me the most interesting aspect of the whole XYZ stuff, was the timing.  Bonzo had passed away mere MONTHS ago, and Page was back in the studio with other artists.  Sort of the whole "if the horse dumps you, get up and get right back on" thing.  Wish he had that sort of motivation today.

• 2 years later...
On 12/17/2017 at 7:47 AM, Chap said:

I wonder if this is in the queue for a polish up and release.  Anyone heard any updates?  I'm surprised that there are not more questions about this collaboration in interviews.

A release as what? It's two guys from Yes basically killing time with a post-Led Zeppelin Jimmy Page. 

• 1 year later...

Good entry on Jimmy's site today for Jan 4, 1981.  I forgot the sessions were that early in 1981.  Anyway he provides a Soundcloud clip from the track Rock and Ruin that eventually became Fortune Hunter with the Firm.  Here is the text from his site today. 

I played the XYZ sessions at The Sol

The first playing I did after Led Zeppelin split up was with Chris Squire and Alan White - the rhythm section of Yes. They got in contact and said they had some material and I said I had a studio. This was the best medicine I could have had at this time and I knew that playing with them might be quite challenging, knowing the quality and precision of the music they had established with Yes. In fact, the combination of the three of us proved to be substantial. Chris had supplied bass, piano and vocals, with Alan on backing vocals and drums. Chris even had a name for the outfit - XYZ - and I believe they hoped Robert Plant would have a listen but I think he was occupied. And the party was over. However, the music that was done at this point was really good. Here is a sample of Rock & Ruin- a rough mix of something I presented to them, but their songs were more impressive.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/6/2015 at 7:15 PM, Genghis Kon said:

I could say the Allman Brothers. We obviously know about Duane, but what about Berry Oakley? Although he never really took to the limelight like the other musicians listed here, and his bass lines weren't the most complicated, I always found his playing strangely compelling. Who can forget "Berry starts 'er up", before he initiates the pile driver of a song that is Whipping Post? He did that with a lot of their songs, just drove them forward, and doing more than what your average bassist does. I don't know, just my two cents.

I have to agree on this: I've always liked the original Allman Brothers because of Duane and Berry!!! But I have to say I regard Dickey Betts highly, he has surpassed Duane in musicality and songwriting-wise he was also very prolific. But that original band just seemed to have a great chemistry.