Which shows do we know were multitracked?

nick2632

2 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

I was motivatin'
Back in town
I saw a Cadillac sign
Sayin' "No Money Down"
So I eased my brakes
And I pulled in my ford
I gotta have that car
and go ridin down the road
Let me say it again ahha yeah 
let me tell you yeah yeah
When I was a little boy
I memba five years old
My mama told me son you gotta lotta 
lovin in the fold cause you 
gonna be a man you gonna be a man 
you gonna be a you gonna be you gonna  
b b b b b b b b b b b b
a Man

That's - I'm afraid- the "No money down" segment of the medley. "As long as I have you", starts with "I was born in darkness". Never mind. I'll start preparing banners for our protest march on Times Square, stating 

#As long as we can have you TOO'

:chickeddance:

7 hours ago, duckman said:

That's - I'm afraid- the "No money down" segment of the medley. "As long as I have you", starts with "I was born in darkness". Never mind. I'll start preparing banners for our protest march on Times Square, stating 

#As long as we can have you TOO'

:chickeddance:

The Hell you say!!!   Do you really think I don't know what that song is?   C"mon man give me a break. That's just my fav bit from 4-27 I figured peeps would get it.

2 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

The Hell you say!!!   Do you really think I don't know what that song is?   C"mon man give me a break. That's just my fav bit from 4-27 I figured peeps would get it.

https://genius.com/Garnet-mimms-as-long-as-i-have-you-lyrics

and than you have Chuck Berry's No Money down (staple diët in Zep's As Long as I have you medley )

http://www.metrolyrics.com/no-money-down-lyrics-chuck-berry.html

Spoiler

Goes without saying...my favorite slice of Fillmore 4-27 too.

Edited by duckman

3 hours ago, duckman said:

https://genius.com/Garnet-mimms-as-long-as-i-have-you-lyrics

and than you have Chuck Berry's No Money down (staple diët in Zep's As Long as I have you medley )

http://www.metrolyrics.com/no-money-down-lyrics-chuck-berry.html

Reveal hidden contents

Goes without saying...my favorite slice of Fillmore 4-27 too.

I know exactly what songs are in the medley, I've been listening to it since 1984. Again, No money down is my fav bit from the 4-27 ALAIHY

Edited by hummingbird69

• 4 months later...
On 8/2/2015 at 5:32 AM, Sathington Willoughby said:

Known:
·1970.01.09 -- Royal Albert Hall, London, England, UK -- Officially released in 2003 on Led Zeppelin DVD.
·1971.04.01 -- Paris Theatre, London, England, UK -- Concert recorded for John Peel's In Concert series; officially released in 1997 on BBC Sessions.
·1972.06.25 -- The Forum, Inglewood, California, USA -- Officially released (in part) in 2003 on How the West Was Won.
·1972.06.27 -- Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, California, USA -- Officially released (in part) in 2003 on How the West Was Won.
·1973.01.22 -- The Old rectory, Southampton University, Southampton, England, UK -- Rough multi-track mixdown bootlegged in 2007; officially released (in part, mellotron intro to "Stairway to Heaven") in 2003 on How the West Was Won.
·1973.07.27 -- Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York, USA -- Officially released (in part) in 1976 on The Song Remains the Same.
·1973.07.28 -- Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York, USA -- Officially released (in part) in 1976 on The Song Remains the Same.
·1973.07.29 -- Madison Square Garden, New York City, New York, USA -- Officially released (in part) in 1976 on The Song Remains the Same.
·1975.05.23 -- Earls Court Exhibition Centre, London, England, UK -- Officially released (in part) in 2003 on Led Zeppelin DVD.
·1975.05.24 -- Earls Court Exhibition Centre, London, England, UK -- Officially released (in part) in 2003 on Led Zeppelin DVD.
·1975.05.25 -- Earls Court Exhibition Centre, London, England, UK -- Officially released (in part) in 2003 on Led Zeppelin DVD.
·1979.08.04 -- Knebworth House, Hertfordshire, England, UK -- Officially released (in part) in 2003 on Led Zeppelin DVD.
·1979.08.11 -- Knebworth House, Hertfordshire, England, UK -- Officially released (in part) in 2003 on Led Zeppelin DVD.
·2007.12.10 -- O2 Arena, London, England, UK -- Officially released in 2012 on Celebration Day.

Potential:
·1971.09.28 -- Festival Hall, Osaka, Japan -- This concert is widely believed to have been multi-tracked.
·1971.09.29 -- Festival Hall, Osaka, Japan -- This concert is widely believed (and very likely) to have been multi-tracked.

10/17/69 Carnegie Hall shows in NYC are confirmed as being multitracked through Eddie Kramer.

6/29/29 RAH shows are rumored to be multitracked.
9/23 and 9/24 71 Tokyo confirmed mulitracked on 2 8 track machines using 2 inch tape.
9/28 and 9/29 Osaka are confirmed also, same equipment as Tokyo.
Japan 71 recordings are confirmed here from an interview in Crossbeat magazine.
http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/view ... 0&start=50
Jimmy Page himself or Peter Grant confirmed one of the Surrey shows in 68 was multitracked. I don't recall if the date was 10/15 or 10/25 since they played shows at Surrey University on both dates.

What is the source of confirmation concerning Ed Kramer's alleged multi-track recording of the 10/17/69 Carnegie Hall concert?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 7/18/2018 at 4:13 AM, Strider said:

I guess this thread is as good as any to submit the following. As some of you may know, I have been going through my old magazines reading Led Zeppelin stories and interviews from back in the day. I came across this interview Lisa Robinson wrote for Hit Parader on the occasion of the New York Premiere of "The Song Remains the Same". Excerpted from the April 1977 issue of Hit Parader. I have bold-faced the most interesting parts.

Lisa Robinson: Why did it take so long - two years it was mentioned - to complete the soundtrack album?

Jimmy Page: No way did it take two years. It didn't really take very long at all. It was recorded, obviously, at the same time as the gig, and then mixed over a period of three weeks with the film track. Then it took a couple of weeks for the album. In fact, the same tape that was used for the dub for the celluloid was used to make the stereo composite for the record. It's only one generation away.

Lisa: Do you feel the record works as a live album?

Jimmy:  Well, it's a soundtrack, and you've got to think of it that way. If we were going to do a live album of our stuff we would do it differently. Mainly because we've got so many things that could capture people's imaginations. We've got live tapes that go back to 1969, things that we get off on, let alone people that are into us. There are many live sets like the one in the film, this just happened to be one of them. There are many of them, but this is the only one that has film to go with it.

Robert Plant: If we'd wanted to do a live album, well, we've got stuff from Japan...from all over, right through time. That would be interesting...

Lisa:  When do you think you might release all that...'historic' stuff?

Jimmy: Well, it depends. If nostalgia is still with us in another five years, we'll push it. (Laughs). No, of course I don't think it's nostalgia, it stands up by itself. Even in the old days...there was a real leaning on the blues vein. But blues is still blues, and there you go. That's basically the framework of what some of those early things were; it was good blues, and there's still a place for that - there will be in twenty and thirty years.

20180718_002949.thumb.jpg.d6570d0d6bee149b39cf01250448244e.jpg

20180718_003046.thumb.jpg.f496157888c9ca52c93045eaa7a20cec.jpg

This is a great post, thanks! And I probably read it when it came out ("showing' yer age, kids!'), but what's interesting is you can look back to random comments from '76 and see how Plant's talking about Japan '71 recordings, though Page spent many years after denying there was "anything in the vaults." As Chuck B. said: "It just goes to show, you never can tell."

6 hours ago, High-hopes Hailla said:

Page spent many years after denying there was "anything in the vaults."

At least through the re-release program with the "companion disks", Jimmy was very careful whenever asked to say the vaults are empty of studio stuff. I don't think I've heard him generalise to include live.

There is definitely some live Zep magic on someone's shelf somewhere.

11 hours ago, ctrlshiftqq said:

0% chance a multi exists

I have been a massive zeppelin fan since the late 80’s early 90’s. I spent over 7-10 years collecting bootlegs all over Cali, and every state I visited, sorry to give me street cred, but what makes you so sure that these concerts weren’t multi tracked. I have reasons for thinking that that were not, but I also have hope that they were, I guess my question and point is why are you so sure, other then the obvious, that it was never released. I guess that is as good a place to start as any. But we know that there are shows that certainly were that have not been released by the band for whatever reason.

I would like to say that I am in no way being combative, I would just like to hear your opinion, or anyones opinion that is in the know of the band. 

As a side note, I have been putting together all of my bootlegs, video tapes, Album bootlegs and I will be posting them to see if I have anything that is rare or not really out there and would love for someone to have it and be able to make copies. I may ask for some help of some of the older group or the people who are in the world of unreleased live stuff to help me out with it. But I have a treasure of bootlegs that I would want people to have and for copies to be made and for it to be available for all. 

Thank you for taking the time to read and or answer this post. 

3 hours ago, Plant77 said:

I have been a massive zeppelin fan since the late 80’s early 90’s. I spent over 7-10 years collecting bootlegs all over Cali, and every state I visited, sorry to give me street cred, but what makes you so sure that these concerts weren’t multi tracked. I have reasons for thinking that that were not, but I also have hope that they were, I guess my question and point is why are you so sure, other then the obvious, that it was never released. I guess that is as good a place to start as any. But we know that there are shows that certainly were that have not been released by the band for whatever reason.

This is why.

16fsccnb8ho71.jpg.f15fe2afb42aa4d310b8f73531673cf1.jpg

Edited by Strider

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Absolutely. I am sure there are tons of soundboards. It is just a matter of which ones survived being stolen, lost, etc.

Based on blackmakito's amazingly thorough research into Zep's soundboards, there's only a slight chance a soundboard was recorded for this show, and we'd be very lucky if there was because it doesn't appear any were made of the other Summer '70 shows. I don't believe I'm allowed to link to it, but check out his post entitled "About those 1968-1970 Soundboards..." over at Royal Orleans for more details.

Edited by SteveZ98

On 10/20/2022 at 4:42 PM, SteveZ98 said:

Based on blackmakito's amazingly thorough research into Zep's soundboards, there's only a slight chance a soundboard was recorded for this show, and we'd be very lucky if there was because it doesn't appear any were made of the other Summer '70 shows. I don't believe I'm allowed to link to it, but check out his post entitled "About those 1968-1970 Soundboards..." over at Royal Orleans for more details.

That poses an interesting scenario if that is so. Because of what we know and have read from Jimmy, John Paul, and Robert, they liked to record the soundboards so they could see how certain jams progressed and what to keep and what to jettison, and what could be used for future song ideas. 1970 was the year Led Zeppelin's setlist expanded greatly, with many jams and medleys extending the set well past the two-hour mark. So it would seem to me that the Summer 1970 tour would have been a no-brainer to tape soundboards for the band, as this was the first tour to feature much of the new songs from Led Zeppelin III. It also was the first tour when "Whole Lotta Love" went from a stand-alone song in the set to the main set-closing medley finale.

You would think Jimmy at least would have wanted to suss out how the set flowed and see what could be improved or developed further. Because of the fact that Madison Square Garden was the final night of the tour and they had no more dates scheduled for the rest of 1970, and would not tour again until March 1971, I can somewhat understand not taping a soundboard from the New York show...or any dates from the last two weeks of the tour in September. But it is incredible to me that they did not record soundboards for at least the first week or two of the tour.

On 10/18/2022 at 8:58 PM, Strider said:

This is why.

16fsccnb8ho71.jpg.f15fe2afb42aa4d310b8f73531673cf1.jpg

Well that is about as obvious an answer as I can get. Thank you for that. I suppose the hopeful part of me always wishes for these things to pop up when we do not expect it. However, more then happy with what we have been given. 

Thank you Strider. 

Edited by Plant77