Bring It On Home

Ed A

So am I the only here who finds this alternate take to be the gem of all gems!!!.... Sure, love Pod and Keep On Raining, but man my head is still spinning over this alternate take of Bring it on Home.... Im biased because Zep II is my fave album, always will be and as a guitarist, I have alway thought that Jimmys aggressive playing and tone on those two note chords under the vocals is some of the best shit Ive EVER heard recorded. So to hear that awesome sound one more time in a different take blows me away.... And Jimmy never got that sound live which makes this even more special to me..... PLUS I love how we are hearing what I believe is the band pretty much learning the song in the studio... my guess is that by later that day they had the track down... this earlier version is all over the place, the arrangement has not been figured out yet.... according to the notes this was recorded July 24, '69 at Alantic during a three day break before heading out to the west coast.... As I said my guess is they got the backing track down by the end of the session and finished overdubs afterwards... If I remember correctly I believe Plant put down his final vocals a few days later in Vancouver.... LOVE to hear how quickly this song developed from this alternate take to the final take...

And that opening line: 'All you pretty women, staying out all night long!'.... c'mon you young whippersnappers, THIS is why Zeppelin ruled!

Personally, this has always been my least favorite Zeppelin album. Something about the sound I didn't like. I loved a lot of the songs but it's been the live versions of these that were played so much better than the studio counterparts! Pretty much any live version on this album is better than the studio! Just the way I feel about this album. Perhaps, it was the original production and that I found the sound to be a mid stale and muddy (not sure how to describe it otherwise). I think WLL is the only one that sounds great in its' studio form!

I agree about everything you said besides that "the gem of all gems", but it's only been 2 days so my opinion could change! Led Zeppelin II has always been my favorite album and not just Zeppelin but from any band, though all the others are pretty much tied with it in different ways. I agree with SuperDave about the songs being performed better live than in the studio, but the Led Zeppelin II sound is possibly the best sound on any album and the studio performances are still great themselves which is why the studio album and companion album will always get tons and tons of listens from me! The guitar sounds extremely great, and the "muddy sound" is what makes it so great! Every song on II is 10/10 IMHO. Now back to Bring It On Home (Rough Mix), that was the greatest new piece of music I have heard in quite a while! They were having a great time in the studio that day! I didn't look at the track listing until after I listened to the music so I was very shocked when I heard the riff from Bring It On Home come put of completely nowhere!

I agree, its definitely a standout track and i expected more of a live studio sound with all the comp discs, and i am not complaining. I actually was listening to the bbc recordings before the release of these last 3 records, specifically for the raw live sound.

Personally, this has always been my least favorite Zeppelin album. Something about the sound I didn't like. I loved a lot of the songs but it's been the live versions of these that were played so much better than the studio counterparts! Pretty much any live version on this album is better than the studio! Just the way I feel about this album. Perhaps, it was the original production and that I found the sound to be a mid stale and muddy (not sure how to describe it otherwise). I think WLL is the only one that sounds great in its' studio form!

I couldn't disagree more but hey I totally respect that everyone will have different opinions. Maybe part of it has to do with where you came into Zeppelin and first fell in love with the band for me it was after seeing them live in 72 and buying Zeppelin II as my first album. I was 14 years old and played it to death. Sure the fidelity of the album is not great it is muddy but the sound of the instruments and the performances is perfection to me from the beginning to the end and yeah that includes living loving made too! I started collecting bootlegs in 73 and have pretty much every live recording possible. And I saw them in 72, 73, 75, and 77. That being said believe it or not there was not one live performance that I like better than the original studio versions of Zep II. Of course there were many great live performances of those songs but to me there was no better sound than the original heartbreaker. Same goes for me with the lemon song, bring it on home, right down the line. Of course the band would go on to become more creative, but the raw sound and performances captured on that album to me are second to none. Although the fourth album is a very close second followed by the first and then the third and then Houses!

Bonham is great....total bonzo

It shows how much he was restrained on the records and how they were thinking of refined craftmenship

I always felt that in studio Bonham was a minimalist and live he was an unrestrained beast almost always close to being Over The Top.

Gotta love the way he stomps on the bass pedal!

Wow, this sounds a lot like the James Gang in terms of the music. I never noticed until just now.

There's a bit in St Tristan's Sword that sounds like Walk Away by the James Gang too.

I only have CODA on record, so this is the first I've heard this "bonus" track. The studio version of Bring it on Home has much better bass/harmonica... then guitar intro, and I for one, am very glad they tweaked this.

I always felt that in studio Bonham was a minimalist and live he was an unrestrained beast almost always close to being Over The Top.

Gotta love the way he stomps on the bass pedal!

Yup, definitely. As jimmy page has said in recent interviews, john bonham changed drumming overnight with his drums on, good times bad times. With listening to the records lately and hearing this version of, bring it on home. I wonder if page and jpj were part of, taming the beast, with bonhams drum playing for the final studio versions, if there were any group discussions about that. Then as you say, bonham was given the freedom to go off, live. I can imagine john bonham insisting that jimmy page "always" keeping his drums loud in the mix on the records.

Mostly ive been listenin to the new reissues on the car stereo. I know that the new car stereos are synthesized to tone down bass and drums the louder you turn the volume, to prevent speakers from being overidden creating distortion. These modern car stereos max out with the volume at a certain point too. With the new cds, on the car stereo, the mix sounds more equalized and bonhams drums do not have the same standout effect in the mix, from my memory of the songs...not that its bad, but a noticeable difference to me, with more clarity and seperation from all four instruments. I will get around to comparing the marino remastering to these one day, but its an impression i have lately. The difference of the clarity and seperation is amazing, even the vocals sound different at times on presence.

Anyway, great raucous version of, bring it on home, so so great to hear this one and the wanton song, with a raw live sound.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived