Hot pics of Jimmy

Henrik

You have sharp eyes, I can't even see tassles - are they on his sleeves or shoulders? I like the setting, looks as if it's in someone's backyard.

I recognize the jacket from the documentary on Zeppelin and the Yardbirds from the early '90's. I think it might be a show as he has a tag around his neck.

Oh, that was the Led Zeppelin documentary wasn't it - the one narrated by Steven Tyler. Cool.

The backyard/Diet Coke photo looks like it might have been... very late '80s perhaps? Judging by Jimmy's hair.

Back to the 70s for a moment, just briefly:

jj.jpg

Oh, that was the Led Zeppelin documentary wasn't it - the one narrated by Steven Tyler. Cool.

The backyard/Diet Coke photo looks like it might have been... very late '80s perhaps? Judging by Jimmy's hair.

Back to the 70s for a moment, just briefly:

jj.jpg

Hi Fire Opal. I think the photo of Jimmy with the diet coke can is from the summer of 1990 when he jammed with Aerosmith at Castle Donnington.

Hi Fire Opal. I think the photo of Jimmy with the diet coke can is from the summer of 1990 when he jammed with Aerosmith at Castle Donnington.

I would have also said that picture might have been around 1990.

FireOpal, I love that white satin suit from 1973. And the ones where he is wearing the Zoso pen. I know he is wearing the Beatle one in that.

Great find. I didn't realize their paths had crossed. Perhaps in New York? I must look into this further.

Tom Jones opened the shows on one of his 80's tours with The Firm's "Closer". It actually worked quite well! B)

Oh and - didn't Jimmy play on at least one of his early songs?

Edited by Knebby

• Administrators
Tom Jones opened the shows on one of his 80's tours with The Firm's "Closer". actually worked quite well! B)

I remember seeing him perform Closer on the Tonight Show (I think it was) in the 80s. :thumbsup:

Oh and - didn't Jimmy play on at least one of his early songs?

I'm pretty sure he did. (JPJ as well)

Hi all,

Sam,any more info on that??? :)

KB

Jaco Pastorius & Jimmy Page, May 1985. Lone Star Cafe, NYC

There's a bootleg recording of it (audio).

Jaco Pastorius & Jimmy Page, May 1985. Lone Star Cafe, NYC

post-5-0-90476700-1306255442_thumb.jpg

My meeting with Jaco Pastorius

Taken from the book "Tales From The Rock and Roll Highway".

TONY FRANKLIN (THE FIRM)

In April 1985, Jimmy Page, Paul Rodgers, Chris Slade, and myself (collectively known as The Firm), were camped out at the elegant Le Parker Meridien Hotel in bustling New York City. Manhattan was our hub for two weeks as we flew or drove in and out of the neighboring cities and states, performing large sellout shows and then traveling "home" to midtown Manhattan.

It was a somewhat surreal existence. We had our own plane, with The Firm logo painted on the side. We had our own limos, we had the best rooms in all the hotels, and we were playing constantly on the radio and MTV. We were treated like royalty: whatever we wanted was available, and I loved every minute of it!

We had recently performed a sellout show at Madison Square Garden, which for me was a dream come true. For ten minutes of that evening I was alone on the stage, standing before a wild, loud audience as I went through my "moves" - my riffs, my chops, my crowd-pleasing fretless bass growls, slaps and harmonics, my vaudeville-inspired dance moves, oh, and my hair, let's not forget my hair - something like a teddy bear with it's paws in the plug socket!

On one of our days off, I scanned the gig listing in the local paper (something I rarely did), and noticed that Jaco Pastorius was playing at a place called the Lone Star Café that night! I couldn't believe it. Jaco was my all time bass hero, and he was the reason I played fretless bass in the first place. I had to go. I called some of the other guys to see if they were interested. In the end, Jimmy Page and Chris Slade joined me, and we headed off with our security guy to the Café.

Some moments stay in your memory forever. I can still see the sign outside of Lone Star: "Tonight. Jaco Pastorius." I was surprised to walk into a near empty, tiny bar. We were chaperoned to a cozy little table on the upstairs balcony with great view of the stage. This didn't seem like the kind of place my larger-than-life, legendary bass hero would play, but on the stage were his bass and his rig, primed and loaded, ready for action. I had no idea what to expect.

Someone told us that Jaco would be playing two sets, the first with his trio and the second with a full band. At some point, Jaco ambled onto the stage, casually checking a few things, tinkling on the piano, strumming a few bass notes, and wondering if his two other trio band members were going to show up. I was transfixed. To me, in my youthful impressionability, he was somewhere between Elvis and Jimi Hendrix. I guess the set started (without the two other guys) when he played for more than a minute on one of the instruments. It was either the bass or keys, or a combination of the two. He was doodling. Sketching little musical ditties comprised of snippets from his past works, and wherever his free-form musical-genius mind wanted to take him. Time stood still.

There was still no sign of the other players. At one point, when Jaco was ad-libbing on the keyboard, Chris Slade (The Firm's drummer), went up to the stage, looked at Jaco, and pointed at the drums. Jaco nodded his head and Chris jumped up and started giving it his best jazz-rock-Slade chops. Jaco's bass was propped up against his amp, and I was chomping at the bit to get up there and jam! I finally plucked up the courage to walk up to the stage, got Jaco's attention, and motioned for me to pick up the bass and play. He looked at me, shook his head, and said, "No, no man, next set." Fair enough.

I don't know how long the first set was or how long Chris played. It was long enough for everyone to get into a "happy space" though. The drinks were flowing, and the Café was filling up. Then Jaco took a break. We were told that we could meet Jaco on the roof of the club, where the halftime party was happening! We were lead upstairs to an area that was busier than the Café itself. It was buzzing up there, in more ways than one!

After a short time, I was introduced to Jaco. I shook his massive right hand, a hand that dwarfed my not-so-small bass player's hands! Starstruck and bewildered, I said probably one of the stupidest things I've ever said in my life: "Hi Jaco. Good to meet you. Uhhh, what kind of strings do you use?" Jaco just said, "Uhhh. I don't know man." And that was the extent of my conversation with Jaco Pastorius! I didn't mind though. My only regret is that I didn't have a camera with me.

Jaco was urging Jimmy to get up in the next set and jam with the band. Pagey was hesitant. He could hold his own of course, but this was a jazz gig. "We'll just do a blues," said Jaco. "All right," said Jimmy, "but none of those fancy jazz chords." A deal was struck. And with the prospect of me possibly getting up to jam also, the second set promised to be a good one!

The rest of the band arrived. I couldn't tell you who they were, for Jaco was the only one I was watching. They all played well, and Jaco looked like he was having a great time. After a while, they called for Jimmy to join them on the stage, which he did. Shortly afterwards, they kicked into a mid/up-tempo twelve-bar blues shuffle. This was the first time I'd actually stood back and watched Jimmy Page play while I wasn't playing at the same time. Jimmy smoked! He was playing someone else's guitar, through someone else's amp, and he was magnificent. He launched into the most smoldering blues licks, and just when you thought the round was done, he'd raise the intensity and the excitement level with another blistering riff. The crowd was going nuts, and Jaco was jamming, jumping up and down and having a great time! Jimmy electrified the moment, and my respect for him rose up to another level.

The set was over all too soon, even though it probably went for a couple of hours. I never did play, but in hindsight I'm glad. We left shortly afterwards, without saying good-bye to Jaco. Security and safety was becoming an issue for Jimmy, so we had to make a swift exit.

The next night we were off to another big sell-out Firm Show. I don't know where. Whatever followed from there, we all knew our lives had been illuminated by the bright talented light of Jaco Pastorius. Less than three years later, I heard about the tragic death of Jaco. It didn't hit me immediately. Sometime afterwards, I was dining at a restaurant and just started sobbing. The light was gone. Thankfully, Jaco left some incredible recordings and some beautiful compositions. Thankfully, I was able to meet him, see him play, and tell him something stupid! God bless you Jaco!

TF

SAJ notes: The Firm's Madison Square Garden concert was April 29th 1985 and their next concert after Page's jam with Pastorius was on May 1st at the Capitol Centre in Landover, MD. I believe jam began near midnight on April 30th 1985 and went into the early morning hours of May 1st 1985.

Edited by SteveAJones