Feist Recording During Tour Lulls

Jahfin

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003687108

feist_02l.gif

Feist

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Feist's Grammy-nominated "The Reminder" is only seven months old, but there's already new material brewing for the Canadian singer/songwriter.

"I'm tiptoeing into some new terrain," she tells Bilboard.com. "There's no necessity and no timeline. 'The Reminder,' I can't say it just came out, but it feels like it did. I'm not quite at the point where I think I should be thinking about another record."

"These songs, there's nothing forcing them to come, yet here's some ideas," she adds. "It's really a ways away though."

That doesn't mean Feist is staying out of the studio. In fact, during a recent off day in Louisville, she and her touring band got the itch to roll tape. "We thought, day off? Let's just do something fun," she recalls. "Bowling? A hike? Instead, we rented a studio."

There, "we took turns and played together," she says. Feist "fooled around on some new stuff" and sang a Grizzly Bear song. She also recorded the basic track for a collaboration with Death Cab For Cutie's Ben Gibbard, which will appear on the "Red Hot and Indie" compilation being produced by the National's Aaron and Bryce Dessner.

"I think that's how we're going to start using our time off," she reports. Look for Feist on tour throughout 2008, beginning Feb. 18 in Toronto and continuing with shows in Australia through early March.

Archived