2015 POTTEDPLANT MEMORIAL NFL POOL

Strider

1) The season schedule is set up so that every team gets a "bye week", meaning they get an extra week where they practice/rest and don't play a game.

Hence, every team plays 16 games in the regular season, and also has a bye week, which equals the regular season length of 17 weeks.

They don't get a win/loss/tie for the bye week because everything equalizes at the end of the season, after everyone has had a bye week. No matter when a team's bye week is, every one plays 16 games in a season.

2) The NFL revolves around money. You've gotta have a lot of cash to start a football team, and you have to have a large enough population to buy your tickets so that your team can stay afloat. States with small populations, like Vermont, simply don't have the money/people to sustain a pro football team.

However, it also depends on logistics. The NFL has an even number of teams right now, which makes things perfect and easy to divide. An odd number of teams would greatly complicate the inner workings of the NFL, like scheduling and regulations.

But, in the end, its really about money. That's why every state isn't represented in all the other sports as well.

3) a. The Baltimore Colts, in an infamous event that still angers Baltimore natives (and Baltimore Raven fans) to this very day, moved to Indianapolis, Indiana in the middle of the night on March 29, 1984, without announcing the move. They are now the Indianapolis Colts.

b. The Houston Oilers moved to Nashville, Tennessee in 1997, became the Tennessee Oilers for two seasons, and then arrived at their current name of the Tennessee Titans in 1999.

c. There is another interesting relocation that happened. In 1996, the Cleveland Browns moved to Baltimore and became the Baltimore Ravens. However, it was eventually decided that while a team's personnel could move to another city, their heritage (records & stats) stayed in the original city, and the franchise would be reactivated with new personnel. Which is exactly what happened, and which is how we got the Ravens after the Colts left.

4) LA had two teams: the Los Angeles Rams, who moved to Anaheim, California, and then St. Louis, Missouri; and the Los Angeles Raiders, who moved back to Oakland, California after originally starting out there.

Thanx, SANBR.

I suppose it's turned out well for the Ravens. What were the Colts' management thinking, surely knowing their decision would polarise everyone from the fans to the whole state?

Has there ever been a time when a team started then either disbanded, merged or relocated?

Cheers.

Week 4 picks:

Baltimore at Pittsburgh

NY Jets at Miami

Jacksonville at Indianapolis

NY Giants at Buffalo

Camolina at Tampa Bay

Philadelphia at Washington

Oakland at Chicago

Houston at Atlanta

Kansas City at Cincinnati

Cleveland at San Diego

Green Bay at San Francisco

St. Louis at Arizona

Minnesota at Denver

Dallas at New Orleans

Detroit at Seattle

One thing I'll say about the Ravens organization - is how impressive it was how they built a dominant defensive team, so soon after moving the Brown's very poorly managed team from Cleveland. Although the way that move was heavily criticized and created resentment at the time. They really slaughtered my Giants in that 2000 SB, but the level that their defense was playing at that time was something that every fan should dream of having their team do.

Thanx, SANBR.

I suppose it's turned out well for the Ravens. What were the Colts' management thinking, surely knowing their decision would polarise everyone from the fans to the whole state?

Has there ever been a time when a team started then either disbanded, merged or relocated?

Cheers.

No problem mate. I'll get back to you later with full answers to your questions, because I'm busy this weekend, and I want to get my picks in before Sunday's games.

I wish Alaska had a team. I'd be curious to see blades instead of cleats.

Hahaha, we actually did have an Arena Football team called the Alaska Wild. They went through about 40 head coaches in the space of two seasons though. And they sucked anyways. So that didn't last long.

But they played in an indoor stadium. So no blades necessary!

I would hope that if we ever did get a pro football team (almost certainly not going to happen because of our tiny population and distance away from the Lower 48), that they would play indoors.

I don't care where you live, I'm sure every one of you knows that it gets really fucking cold in Alaska, haha.

Thursday, 1 October

Ravens WIN

Sunday, 4 October

Jets

Falcons

Buffalo Bill's Buffalo Bills

Oakland to LA to Oakland Raiders

Tigers

Colts

Panthers

Eagles

Bolts (I swear if they let me down again)

Cards

Broncos, Kings of AFC West

Cheeseheads

Saints over 'Boys (Primetime game at Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, Lousiana)

Monday, 5 October

Seagulls

NY Jets...sorry paul, since the Dolphins appear to have quit on their coach, I am doing the same.

Indianapolis

Buffalo

Carolina

Philadelphia

Oakland...Big test to see if Raiders really are on the upswing...10am road games are usually trouble for West Coast teams.

Atlanta...after beating Dallas could this be a trap game for Sadlanta?

Cincinnati

San Diego

Green Bay

Arizona...if I am Arizona I watch out for the Rams dirty defense trying to knock out Carson Palmer like they did Roethlisberger.

Denver

Dallas...team records aside, this is an interesting game. Is there a more overrated DC than Rob Ryan?

Seattle...Seattle again thanks the schedule gods.

Baltimore

Miami

Indianapolis

Buffalo

Carolina

Philadelphia at Washington 1:00 PM 

Chicago

Houston

Kansas City

San Diego 

Green Bay

Arizona

Denver

Dallas

Seattle

Philly over the Redskins. Somehow that one slipped right by me. Thanks apantherfrommd.

Well, for once Andy didn't win. New members join the Winner's Circle this week...ebk and zepscoda. Congratulations to you both!

Week 4 Results:

ebk: 12-3*

zepscoda: 12-3*

Bong-Man: 11-4

SANBR: 11-4

jabe: 10-5

jb126: 10-5

paul carruthers: 10-5

Walter: 10-5

Anjin-san: 9-6

LedZeppfan77: 9-6

Strider: 9-6

apantherfrommd: 8-7

DAS: 8-7

in_the_evening: 8-7

Reggie29: 5-10

Season Standings After 63 Games:

1. apantherfrommd: 41-22**

2. jb126: 40-23

2. Walter: 40-23

3. zepscoda: 40-22*

4. ebk: 39-24*

5. Anjin-san: 38-25*

5. Bong-Man: 38-25

6. in_the_evening: 37-26*

6. jabe: 37-26*

6. paul carruthers: 37-26

6. Strider: 37-26

7. LedZeppfan77: 31-32

7. Reggie29: 31-32

8. SANBR: 28-18

9. DAS: 18-14

Week 5 Schedule

THUR. OCT. 8  

Indianapolis at Houston

SUN. OCT. 11 

Chicago at Kansas City

Seattle at Cincinnati

Washington at Atlanta

Jacksonville at Tampa Bay

New Orleans at Philadelphia

Cleveland at Baltimore

St. Louis at Green Bay

Buffalo at Tennessee

Arizona at Detroit

New England at Dallas

Denver at Oakland 

San Francisco at NY Giants

MON. OCT. 12

Pittsburgh at San Diego

Bye: Carolina, Minnesota, NY Jets, Miami 

Cool....co congrats EBK on last week's pics!

THUR. OCT. 8  

Indianapolis 

SUN. OCT. 11 

Kansas City

Cincinnati

Atlanta

Jacksonville 

New Orleans 

Baltimore

Green Bay

Buffalo 

Arizona 

New England 

Denver 

New York Football Giants!

MON. OCT. 12

San Diego

Have been thinking about pottedplant...as it was our football pool's namesake's birthday today (Oct. 6). She would have been a golden 50. How apropos the New Orleans Saints were able to give her an early birthday present by beating Dallas for their first win of the season. Hope Brett's spirit is smiling somewhere.

Have been thinking about pottedplant...as it was our football pool's namesake's birthday today (Oct. 6). She would have been a golden 50. How apropos the New Orleans Saints were able to give her an early birthday present by beating Dallas for their first win of the season. Hope Brett's spirit is smiling somewhere.

Didn't know her, but my condolences. 

Week 5 Schedule

THUR. OCT. 8  

Indianapolis 

SUN. OCT. 11 

Kansas City

Cincinnati

Atlanta

Jacksonville 

New Orleans

Cleveland

Green Bay