Best Year

Mr_K

Hello.

I've enjoyed debates on Zeppelin peaks.

I'm looking for a post on Zeppelin's best year. Have I missed it?

Think I might listen to it from start to end!

My vote is for 1971 - for 3 strengths.

Live - for the remarkably consistent fiery set list: for Japan, for the West Coast shows, for the rarities like Gallows Pole. For an audience that had never heard STH. Not always the best concert sound, but the band was almost always in sync with each other and the audience. The energy didn't lag.

Studio - for the ZOSO.

And the rock world - never again to be topped. The Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers, The Who for Who's Next, The Doors LA Woman - Yes The Yes Album and Fragile, and the Allman Brothers Band Live at the Fillmore East. All healthy competition but the 4th album shines the best of a great crop.

Thanks.

It's a toughy, 1969 is hard to argue with, the year their first two albums came out & the year they practically took over the World. Whereas 1975 was the year their greatest LP came out in my opinion.

I would maybe go for somewhere in the middle, 1973, the year Houses of the Holy came out, the year they filmed The Song Remains the Same & their last consistantly great touring year. I think that was the band at the peak of their powers really.

Hello.

I've enjoyed debates on Zeppelin peaks.

I'm looking for a post on Zeppelin's best year. Have I missed it?

Think I might listen to it from start to end!

My vote is for 1971 - for 3 strengths.

Live - for the remarkably consistent fiery set list: for Japan, for the West Coast shows, for the rarities like Gallows Pole. For an audience that had never heard STH. Not always the best concert sound, but the band was almost always in sync with each other and the audience. The energy didn't lag.

Studio - for the ZOSO.

And the rock world - never again to be topped. The Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers, The Who for Who's Next, The Doors LA Woman - Yes The Yes Album and Fragile, and the Allman Brothers Band Live at the Fillmore East. All healthy competition but the 4th album shines the best of a great crop.

Thanks.

1971 was an incredible year for music - just look at the album above and the following: Bowie: Hunky Dory, Pink Floyd; Meddle, Marvin Gaye; What's Going On, Sabbath; Master of Reality, Rod Stewart; Every Picture.... It's like 1971 was the Olympics & Zeppelin took the gold in every event!

I have to say 68-69. call me crazy but I feel they played with more passion and rude attitude in the earlier days as apposed to the later days where they were more flamboyant. again call me crazy but I also prefer the sound he got with the tele vs. the lp.

1970, the first time they played MSG, and showed just how versatile this band truly was going to be. Yeah, I and II showed hints, but LZ III was that break through of creativity that led to the amazing LZ IV.

Archived