How has Led Zeppelin impacted your life?

sphinnx

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I first heard Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love' when I was 9 years old. I was immediately hooked. Not allowed to buy records I had to wait till I heard 'Immigrant Song' on radio to confirm my view there was no better band.

When I was 13 my mates gave me Led Zeppelin 4 for my birthday. When the Levee Breaks hit me like no other song. (next year they gave me the album 'Popcorn - I assumed it was a joke - it wasn't).

Led Zeppelin changed my life. Their music is eternal. Presnce was released over 30 years ago and I am now just fully appreciating its majesty. I am still learning to appreciate Led Zeppelin in its entirety and thats a good thing.

By the way my kids all listen to Zeppelin and unlike us oldies have no qualms about the bands change in style - they just love the whole package as they do not care about the chronology - its all Zeppelin to them. They have helped me to appreciate the Band even more.

The best bootleg I ever bought was the 1977 Badge Holders Concert in LA - I remember sitting in my bedroom and being totally blown away by its power!

I still have great remorse about the passing of John Bonham. I cannot stand the fact he died in such a manner and in a sad frame of mind.

• 3 months later...

They lifted the veil that was covering my sight, it's like once they're there and their music is heard life can never be the same again.

It becomes everything I ever wanted, needed and couldn't live without.

Makes me feel so much, love, pain, joy and what not.

The music makes me feel like I'm a part of something so big and wonderful, gives the illusion of not being alone anymore, ever.

Others may say this is silly; music can't be THAT important….but only Zepp fans know how it cuts you to the bone and how it can bring you back to life.

It's not as if I'd commit murder or suicide in their name, their music is a life giver and enriches…it's strength.

which leaves me wondering how the hell I got by before.

When I was a teenager I said if it is the last thing I do on this Earth, I will do whatever it takes to see them live. my lucky day came in 1977. And Im happy I saw them when I did as Graffitti and Presence were out. So I got to hear pretty much all the best material they ever did. To me they are the greatest band to ever walk the earth. a band like them was sent from Heaven. They will never come again. I too was inspired to play guitar by Page-the master.

Probably the blackest time of my life was in the mid 80's, when I was in my mid teens. I had nothing to hang onto, and felt like I was disappearing into a hole. I was already into Zeppelin, but during that time, I became dependent on their music! I admit it. Boy, did it help me, I'm not even sure I could have survived that time without it. No joke. Now I look at my own kid and know that I am what she has to hang onto. I am here for her, because when nobody was there for me, some band that was already broken up helped me from disappearing. Crazy to think about! Nothing I could say would be thanks enough. There isn't another band with quite that special ingredient, whatever the hell it is. It just hits the spot, what can I say. :D

Definitely the soundtrack to my life, as well.

I turned on to Zeppelin around 13 years old, same old story - STH at a school dance.

Went out and bought IV and I was hooked.

June 3, 1977 in Tampa, still 16 years old, was the first real concert I ever attended.

Best. 3 songs. Ever.

I won a copy of Presence from a local radio station when it came out, and I was completely obsessed. I would sit in front of the stereo wearing headphones turned up so loud my mom (leaned back in her La-Z-Boy and not wanting to get up :lolo:) would yell and I couldn't hear her and she'd eventually throw a slipper or TV Guide at me to get my attention to turn it down! :lolo:

I was so mesmerized by Presence, and yet conversely, all my friends were still playing II or IV, and every time we got together I'd eventually put Presence on and they'd be like "Oh-oh, here we go again..." After close to 6 months, it finally started to click with them, then they'd put it on immediately.

2 memories indelibly etched into my synapses:

#1 - riding to New Smyrna Beach, high on psilocybin mushrooms, Presence 8-track blasting on the Craig Powerplay. One of my best friends in the front passenger seat holding his hands to his head screaming "I AM THE TUNES-SSSS!" The laughter was physically impairing.

#2 - going to see Sammy Hagar (1977 or so - post-Montrose, pre-Van Halen), Mahogany Rush and Nazereth. Again, Presence. Again, the aforementioned Craig powerplay (which was direct-wired to the fusebox, rather than through the ignition, so it continued playing whether the car was on or not). This time high on enormous amounts of "crystal T" (basically, a kinder, more gentler name for PCP). Tunes blasting at full volume, we parked, went into the concert and emerged 3 or 4 hours later and opened the door to be blasted with LZ, still at full volume! We were so high no one considered possibly turning off the stereo that was playing at full volume.

good times. goo-ooooood times... :lolo:

Well, their music comes of "partnership"...This means that they were like "one fist"!! So that spirit , which was instilled in their music, influenced me heavily!! Furthermore, they helped me be more self-assertive and powerful! (I dunno how they did it to me, but that's true!!) Considering that my first crush was Jimmy Page, at 10, yay, they got me "involved" in the opposite sex, hahaaaa!!! :D

Well just like the title of the thread says i'm curious to see other oppinions on how Led Zeppelin has had some sort of impact or effect on your life, whether your a musician or not. I appologize if there has been a similar thread which I might've missed.

In love with LZ since 1975 - my name is Zeppelina ! got a small Zep symbols tattoo on my leg never spend a day without a Zep song converted my husband to Zep music painting Zep portraits playing Zep songs (guitar) learned the lyrics of my favourite Zep songs - Kashmir - Ramble on - whole lotta - and much more so now do I qualify as a Zep fan ? Met Robert and will meet him again in a couple of months... cant wait. Nobodys fault but mine I am addicted... Zeppelina :rolleyes:

I've been inspired to see them perform concerts individually or together in seven countries. I would conservatively estimate my independent research pertaining to the band's history at approximately 12,000 hours over the past 23 years. I've built up a substantial archive. I do what I can for others who are interested in them.

Funny you should say that. I lost my virginity to Whole Lotta Love in 1969 to my then boyfriend, turned husband later on in 1975. I liked Zep alot back then, my husband's motto was Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll. He bought every album, and slept around with every girl he could find while we were married, and expected me to stay with him. I grew to hate Zeppelin in the 70's because of it. I turned a deaf ear to all of their fabulous music AND most music of the 70's. I hated everything my husband stood for. The next few decades I always told people I hated 70's music.

Finally, now, coming to terms with my past. I have re-discovered 70's music and most of all- Led Zeppelin. I absolutely love them, can't get enough.

I have finally healed.

P.S. My ex-husband is dead now. I have forgiven him.

i always kinda wanted to lose my virginity to heartbreaker...i am sorry your husband was a jerk, but i'm glad you love zep now!

Well just like the title of the thread says i'm curious to see other oppinions on how Led Zeppelin has had some sort of impact or effect on your life, whether your a musician or not. I appologize if there has been a similar thread which I might've missed.

I've grown up with led zep since i was nine years old way back in 69 when there music was (finally) reaching the youth down under (N.Z) I can remember my brother playing there music "loudly" on an old MONO '12 inch speakers and the friends of my brother going to a local carpet factory and and dragging big thick cardboard box's home and making "drums" from these round cylinder cardboard box's.As for cymbals ;they used to get old sheets off tin and cut them to 24 inch diameter and drill holes in the cymbal and put studs ;(similar to what latter on the punks in the 80's used in there denim jackets ) the studs used to rattle the cymbal when hit with a drum stick !dad used to tell him to "turn that dam music down" at eleven pm and yours truly would be lying in bed listening to all this "unbelievable" music ."yes" nearly forty years on and still the biggest musical influence in my life !.god bless there music and may it live forever .speaking of God. they also used to wear "Clapton is god" on there denim jackets as well.But thats a different story,3 cheers for Bonzo.

A lot of my friends aren't comfortable with the fact that I love the band as much as I do. They think I'm obsessed, or whatever, but they know It's useless to try to change me. And they won't, because Led Zeppelin is a part of what I am, and there's no way they can take that from me. (Unless they kill me!)

I guess it has put a damper on my social life over the years, but I'm O.K. with that. :D

Profoundly in a detached sort of way; their music has inadvertently served as a soundtrack for the events in my life.

Yea, they had that effect on me as well, beginning with the song, Tangerine. That sort of forced a past life regression on me that I wasn't able to deal with at the time, but in many ways I used to think of Jimmy Page as my guardian. Ah, live and learn... I got over it. Now I know, I'm the only person on the planet that can be me.

The Ninth Scribe

yes it jas, but mine is in more of a serious way.

the ledZep music has helped me with anger issues that i had/still sometimes have, so when ever if fell like i can hit someone i just listen to my ipod of put a record of their music on and it calms me down, which to most pople is strange coz their music is loud and has made me deafer over the years.

After hearing and seeing (Led Zeppelin DVD) Jimmy Page play the guitar I knew I had to learn and be just like him. So now I play the guitar :D

Also, Led Zeppelin got me more into music then I've ever been in my entire life. Even though they're a Rock band they experimented with different styles of music, and that's what I've done with my music tastes. I'm into Rock (of course), Blues, Indie, Punk, Jazz, Folk, Reggae, Metal, Bluegrass and more

Led Zeppelin didn't change my life but their music signed my most important feelings and moments.

LZ changed my life on the economical part because I started record collecting seriously and this affected a lot of days ... !!

My friends usually don't talk about LZ but I'm the master when a discussion starts ... and the last word is always mine.

New friends of course consider me a little bit ... unusual B) (when they see my collection)

I missed the reunion gig but I'm not sad or disappointed: it always happened so I'm used to. If they'll tour (even if I don't think so) I'll be there, for sure.

... to be a rock and not a stone ...

I've grown up with led zep since i was nine years old way back in 69 when there music was (finally) reaching the youth down under (N.Z) I can remember my brother playing there music "loudly" on an old MONO '12 inch speakers and the friends of my brother going to a local carpet factory and and dragging big thick cardboard box's home and making "drums" from these round cylinder cardboard box's.As for cymbals ;they used to get old sheets off tin and cut them to 24 inch diameter and drill holes in the cymbal and put studs ;(similar to what latter on the punks in the 80's used in there denim jackets ) the studs used to rattle the cymbal when hit with a drum stick !dad used to tell him to "turn that dam music down" at eleven pm and yours truly would be lying in bed listening to all this "unbelievable" music ."yes" nearly forty years on and still the biggest musical influence in my life !.god bless there music and may it live forever .speaking of God. they also used to wear "Clapton is god" on there denim jackets as well.But thats a different story,3 cheers for Bonzo.

Probably the blackest time of my life was in the mid 80's, when I was in my mid teens. I had nothing to hang onto, and felt like I was disappearing into a hole. I was already into Zeppelin, but during that time, I became dependent on their music! I admit it. Boy, did it help me, I'm not even sure I could have survived that time without it. No joke.

Basically the same story for me, not too long ago. Zep and Dylan.

Zep inspired me to find out more about the actual technicalities of music (I should never have given up piano, but the teacher was a cow...), changed my taste in men and they jumped through a muddy puddle in my goody-two-shoes, tore them up and then had the nerve to donate them to charity.

And today Jimmy made me late for school because ALL the music magazines had interviews, rumours and lots and lots of photos and I couldn't afford them all, so I just stood around the newsagent's reading them. :D

Archived