Companion discs are rubbish

Flares

I actually think this is the tip of the iceberg for artists and bands that are famous. I could see a record of jimmy page early works, all without vocals,  this way the listener could focus on the guitar and not hear dated vocals. From all the session stuff , yardbirds, lord sutch,  early zeppelin..........to a later release of later zeppelin, the firm, page and coverdale , page and plant material.......all without vocals. 

Jesus! "Led Zeppelin" alone has a complete double live album with it! As a mixing engineer it's fascinating to hear the alt mixes especially the ones without vocals. Hearing different aspects of the mix breathing with renewed air is fascinating. Alt mixes like "Four Sticks" are just amazing and the stuff with "Presence" is exceptional. As for "Coda" that now becomes an absolute gold mine of lost material. 

7 hours ago, Fat Albert 72 said:

Jesus! "Led Zeppelin" alone has a complete double live album with it! As a mixing engineer it's fascinating to hear the alt mixes especially the ones without vocals. Hearing different aspects of the mix breathing with renewed air is fascinating. Alt mixes like "Four Sticks" are just amazing and the stuff with "Presence" is exceptional. As for "Coda" that now becomes an absolute gold mine of lost material. 

:yesnod:

It's cool that the many fans on this thread are so enamored by the companion discs. Unfortunately, many defunct or even still rolling bands have much more comprehensive and varied box sets than Zep's. I do find some of the companion material interesting, but coming from possibly the greatest rock band ever, the releases are quite stark for me overall.

Regular CD's are barely sold anymore, but box sets which have the regular release and then 3 or 4 companion discs focused mainly on the original release are very common these days. Look, Jimmy's getting older, but for these releases Jimmy should have hired some expert help, because I feel that the gold standard surrounding Zep releases has been damaged to an extent. Started with Mothership, then puzzling edits/decisions on remastered TSRTS, and so on.

• 1 year later...

I think that Physical Graffiti and ITTOD second CDs could have been a reduced version of Earls Court and Knebworth concerts, something like this:

Earls Court: Rock and Roll, Sick Again, In My Time of Dying, KashmirTangerine, Going to California, Thats the Way, Bron-Yr-Stomp, Trampled Under Foot, Stairway to Heaven.

Knebworth: The Song Remains the Same, Nobody’s Fault But Mine, Misty Mountain Hop, Since I’ve Been Loving You, Ten Years Gone, Hot Dog, Rain Song, Achilles Last Stand, In The Evening, Whole Lotta Love.

In bold, new unreleased live tracks and the rest are the same as the DVD tracks.

Edited by zeppelin_starship

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 11:33 PM, Mithril46 said:

It's cool that the many fans on this thread are so enamored by the companion discs. Unfortunately, many defunct or even still rolling bands have much more comprehensive and varied box sets than Zep's. I do find some of the companion material interesting, but coming from possibly the greatest rock band ever, the releases are quite stark for me overall.

Regular CD's are barely sold anymore, but box sets which have the regular release and then 3 or 4 companion discs focused mainly on the original release are very common these days. Look, Jimmy's getting older, but for these releases Jimmy should have hired some expert help, because I feel that the gold standard surrounding Zep releases has been damaged to an extent. Started with Mothership, then puzzling edits/decisions on remastered TSRTS, and so on.

Page constantly states that he didn't want to put anything out there that had already been bootlegged or whatever.

What Mr. Page fails to understand is the VAST majority of Zep fans own zero bootlegs.  I know, the VAST majority of fans on this site DO own bootlegs, but almost every Zep fan I know owns none.  Why not take some of the bootlegged stuff, polish it up a bit, and officially release it?   

Neil Young has his own site, neilyoungarchives.com    FULL of stuff.  Each week a new streaming concert.  The ability to listen to all sorts of half baked attempts at songs.  And he's constantly adding more stuff (unreleased albums, three this year).  With Zep we get "oh gee it's been five years since I remastered the albums, a lot of new technology has come around since then, I'll remaster them again".  

I do agree that other bands have put our many hours of unheard music, and some of it is "meh" and some of it is "wow".  There is no way Stairway was done in one or two takes, you could do like Dylan did with "like a Rolling Stone" where he released I think 50 attempts on the song in his archives.

Oh well, I will stop ranting.  

• 7 months later...
On 6/3/2021 at 1:15 AM, in_the_evening said:

Page constantly states that he didn't want to put anything out there that had already been bootlegged or whatever.

What Mr. Page fails to understand is the VAST majority of Zep fans own zero bootlegs.  I know, the VAST majority of fans on this site DO own bootlegs, but almost every Zep fan I know owns none.  Why not take some of the bootlegged stuff, polish it up a bit, and officially release it?   

Neil Young has his own site, neilyoungarchives.com    FULL of stuff.  Each week a new streaming concert.  The ability to listen to all sorts of half baked attempts at songs.  And he's constantly adding more stuff (unreleased albums, three this year).  With Zep we get "oh gee it's been five years since I remastered the albums, a lot of new technology has come around since then, I'll remaster them again".  

I do agree that other bands have put our many hours of unheard music, and some of it is "meh" and some of it is "wow".  There is no way Stairway was done in one or two takes, you could do like Dylan did with "like a Rolling Stone" where he released I think 50 attempts on the song in his archives.

Oh well, I will stop ranting.  

I do suspect as well that a big factor remain that Page whats the Zep official brand to still be a mark of quality and for the band to still retain some of the mystery.. The companion disks move somewhat away from that but still they tend to stick to material thats pretty well formed, not very early run thoughts most of the time either alternatives takes/mixes or would be songs that progressed quite awhile.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I need to revisit the companion discs again since it’s been awhile. Like many I was disappointed overall but there were some interesting tracks here and there.

Jimmy got it right with the debut and should have included a period live disc with each album. 

• 2 months later...

Bonjour , 

Moi c'est surtout la version remasterisé de "No quarter" sur The song remain the same qui m'a énormément déçu , elle n'est pas la même que sur la première version , fini les basses profondes avec le pédalier de l'orgue fini l'énorme coup de gong , c'est bien dommage , par contre c'est bien pour les nouveaux titres , par contre ils aurait pu faire la même chose en dvd sans la partie cinématographique .

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2015 at 7:28 PM, Flares said:

"Some other acts, they are scraping the bottom of the barrel" Unlike Zeppelin, who are releasing remasters of the remasters of the remasters. Basically the same material again and again.

At least these bands are putting out "new" stuff. It's up to the fan to make the decision if he wants to buy it and feels the quality is acceptable.

Page said he didn't wanted to replicate the bootleg stuff, but what about your average fan who doesn't have that, or the fan who wants it in the best quality possible. He needed to put the best stuff on there he had.

I would rather have a slightly inferior sound-wise rehearsal, that could be EQ'd and sound good, rather than The Battle of Evermore with a slightly louder mandolin. That would have been far more of a "portal" into the creative process, than a near-final different mix.

Page got it wrong.

I am I opinion you’re a douche bag

I love the companion desks and I love Led Zeppelin

GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME !

P E R I O D !

1 minute ago, Zep Nut said:

In my opinion FLARES is a complete douche bag

I love the companion discs

And I love Led Zeppelin

GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIME

.        P E R I O D 

People like this “FLARE” 

Will never understand that

1 minute ago, Zep Nut said:

Flares is completely wrong

I love the companion discs

And I love everything Led Zeppelin

We’re talking about the greatest band of all time!!!!!!!

And some idiot wants to trash them????  Flares must’ve been deprived of his mama’s milk when he was a child

The hatred he shows towards jimmy page is just absolutely outrageous

Page. Is an absolute genius.!

It always cracks me up when people talk about sloppy play

He did it on purpose you imbecile

It just shows me you don’t get Led Zeppelin and you certainly don’t get Jimmy page

Honestly, I can’t get enough of the companion discs

They are awesome. It takes me right into the creative process.

I feel like I’m right in the studio with zeppelin

FLARES sounds like a bitter old man who just wants the trash zeppelin

I can’t quit listening to them. I just absolutely love the companion discs.

I love being taken right in and hear how the song was made

Unfortunately, for people like flares they don’t get this

But I guess whatever floats your boat

For me as an enormous zeppelin fan I absolutely love them

Once again, I just cannot get enough of the companion discs

Bravo, Jimmy page bravo!!!!!!!

I love being taken right into the creative process

I swear to you, I listen to these things over and over and over and over because I just can’t get enough of it