Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Flares

Companion discs are rubbish

I actually think this is the tip of the iceberg for artists and bands that are famous. I could see a record of jimmy page early works, all without vocals,  this way the listener could focus on the guitar and not hear dated vocals. From all the session stuff , yardbirds, lord sutch,  early zeppelin..........to a later release of later zeppelin, the firm, page and coverdale , page and plant material.......all without vocals. 

Jesus! "Led Zeppelin" alone has a complete double live album with it! As a mixing engineer it's fascinating to hear the alt mixes especially the ones without vocals. Hearing different aspects of the mix breathing with renewed air is fascinating. Alt mixes like "Four Sticks" are just amazing and the stuff with "Presence" is exceptional. As for "Coda" that now becomes an absolute gold mine of lost material. 

7 hours ago, Fat Albert 72 said:

Jesus! "Led Zeppelin" alone has a complete double live album with it! As a mixing engineer it's fascinating to hear the alt mixes especially the ones without vocals. Hearing different aspects of the mix breathing with renewed air is fascinating. Alt mixes like "Four Sticks" are just amazing and the stuff with "Presence" is exceptional. As for "Coda" that now becomes an absolute gold mine of lost material. 

:yesnod:

It's cool that the many fans on this thread are so enamored by the companion discs. Unfortunately, many defunct or even still rolling bands have much more comprehensive and varied box sets than Zep's. I do find some of the companion material interesting, but coming from possibly the greatest rock band ever, the releases are quite stark for me overall.

Regular CD's are barely sold anymore, but box sets which have the regular release and then 3 or 4 companion discs focused mainly on the original release are very common these days. Look, Jimmy's getting older, but for these releases Jimmy should have hired some expert help, because I feel that the gold standard surrounding Zep releases has been damaged to an extent. Started with Mothership, then puzzling edits/decisions on remastered TSRTS, and so on.