FORUM MAINTENANCE

sam_webmaster

On 2/19/2016 at 8:09 AM, Patrycja said:

I'm having 'submit reply' issues. The first time was in the 'Stairway lawsuit' thread where I posted two replies but the second (an article) ended up being a copy of the first (response to two posters). Just now I was in the 'classical music thread' and upon pressing the reply button ended up in the 'Rival Sons' thread with nothing posted in the classical one. In both instances a repost was necessary. Just a head's up for people to save their wordier posts lest they lose their thoughts.

I'm sorry, Pat! But, I just can't help myself! Please pardon my silliness! :P 

computersaysno.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Software update (v 4.1.12), mostly under the hood, but there's a few tweaks.

There will be some glitches as the database is rebuilt, mainly in the activity feed and search. (should be ok now)

Thank you.

:hippy:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Some new updates mentioned in IPS software:

Activity Streams

The first improvement we made is to change how the expanded/condensed toggles are displayed to improve their clarity. From studying the feedback from administrators and users, we discovered that many people did not realize the view could be changed. To improve this, the toggles now explicitly say 'Condensed' and 'Expanded', making it much clearer how the view can be toggled to your own preference.

All Activity - IPS Community Suite 2016-05-17 kq2d5.png
More clearly marked expand and condense options for Activity Streams

Next, a common point of feedback about Activity Streams is that clicking a result and then hitting the Back button in the browser means you are put back at the first batch of results, losing your place in the stream. In 4.1.12 we improved this so that clicking Back will load the last batch of results you were viewing, enabling you to continue browsing from whence you left off.

Finally, in the Content Types menu we added an Apply button. We discovered that users were not always sure how to save the selection of content types they had made (which automatically happened when that menu was closed). To alleviate this, the new Apply button will save the selection and close the menu, updating the stream results in real-time as expected. You can still simply click out of the menu to apply changes as well.

apply.png
The new Apply button in the Content Types menu

Search

While overall improvements to search (specifically the algorithms to match and return the results) are a matter of ongoing research and refinement which we will improve in the 4.2 series and beyond, 4.1.12 sees one small improvement to the options available to users. While you have always been able to search within a particular forum, category etc. while browsing that area, you were not able to retroactively filter into particular areas after performing a more general search. IPS Community Suite 4.1.12 adds this ability to the interface, allowing you to get more specific results from a particular area of the community.

Mentions

4.0 introduced mentions, and since then a frequently-requested feature is the ability to ignore notifications triggered by particular members. In 4.1.12, we enhanced the Ignore Users functionality to also allow you to block mention notifications. They will still be able to mention you in posts, but you will no longer be notified about it.

ignored.jpg

We are currently beta testing our next release, 4.1.12, which contains hundreds of bug fixes, dozens of improvements, as well as a handful of new features. I wanted to introduce one of those new features: post preview.

Long-time users of our software will know that a post preview function was a standard feature, but we took the decision to not include it in the initial IPS4 release. It had a couple of drawbacks:

• it only applied to certain pages, such as topic view - other WYSIWYG editors simply didn't get a preview
  • the workflow wasn't very good for modern web apps, requiring a round-trip to the server and a full page refresh

When IPS4 was released, we felt that the built-in rendering of the editor was a sufficient preview of how the end result would appear. However, while analyzing ongoing customer and user feedback for IPS4 in its first year of release, we have seen that a preview still has a use. There are some circumstances when a true WYSIWYG experience is just not possible such as using more advanced formatting (like LaTeX) or when admins create certain custom editor plugins.

As a result, we rethought post preview. We wanted to ensure that all editors could be previewed, and that it didn't have a clunky workflow. In addition, since IPS4 uses a responsive theme, we wanted to give users the opportunity to preview how their post would look on different devices.

Here's the result, and what will be available in 4.1.12:

post_preview.gif
Post preview in IPS Community Suite 4.1.12

The preview is shown by clicking a new button on the toolbar (meaning it can be moved, removed, etc. just like the other default buttons). When the preview loads, the toolbar allows the user to resize it to different device sizes. If they are on desktop, they can also view it at tablet at phone sizes; on a tablet, it can also be viewed at phone size.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

When your link auto-embeds in a post such as with an image, YouTube video, Twitter link, etc. an option will now display to revert the embed back to a plain text link if you do not want the embed.

Facebook/Twitter integration improvements.

Efficiency improvements to the search index

The following formats are supported with our embed system. Simply paste a link to any of these services and you will get a nice, rich embed experience:.

• Facebook
  • Flickr
  • Gfycat
  • Google+
  • Hulu
  • Instagram
  • SoundCloud
  • Spotify
  • Ted
  • Twitter
  • Vimeo
  • Vine
  • YouTube

You can also embed links to anything inside of the IPS Community Suite. So you could paste a link to another forum topic in the comment on a Gallery image and it will show a preview of that topic rather than a simple link.

Edited by sam_webmaster
added some update info from IPS software

• 1 month later...

I am going to the "Coast and Sin city" ini reverse order on Thurs. So if I cannot get back on the forum you will know why.  I cannot unlock my old monster username Icantquityoubabe.  It is linked to my current username.  All attempts to get my password reset are in vain.  See you all later if I cannot get back on.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sam -

Forum looks great, but one issue is the size of the YouTube embeds.
They're so large, they seem to take forever to load a page in threads that are video-embed-heavy, like the Favorite Movie Scene thread.
Almost couldn't get back off the page as it took so long to load the numerous video embeds.

Don't know if display size has an effect, but something makes those threads REALLY laggy.
Maybe if the display size was reduced it would help speed up loading.

Or not - I'm certainly no expert.
Just reporting what I've observed, LOL.

Thanks!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Sam.  I noticed that the forums look like they've been refreshed.  I see that at the bottom of the page, the navigation buttons labeled "next unread topic" and "go to topic listing" have lost the name of the next unread thread or topic.  Will those be reappearing anytime in the future?

Thanks! 

• Administrators
16 hours ago, ebk said:

Hi Sam.  I noticed that the forums look like they've been refreshed.  I see that at the bottom of the page, the navigation buttons labeled "next unread topic" and "go to topic listing" have lost the name of the next unread thread or topic.  Will those be reappearing anytime in the future?

Thanks! 

Yeah, there was a recent software update. 
Do you mean at the bottom here. Did it used to show the topic title where it says "next unread topic"?

screen001.JPG

13 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Yeah, there was a recent software update. 
Do you mean at the bottom here. Did it used to show the topic title where it says "next unread topic"?

screen001.JPG

Yes, that's what I meant.  Under Go To Topic Listing, it used to say which section you were in (News, Ramble On, etc) and under Next Unread Topic, it showed the next unread topic in that section.  So I knew if I wasn't interested in that thread, I needed to go back to my Unread Content page instead of clicking though.  

It's not a big deal, I was just wondering.  Thanks for taking the time. 

• 8 months later...

Hi Sam.  Happy New Year!

I read the forum from my Unread Content page and I had it set to Condensed (top right).  That choice shows only the thread title and I can get more threads on the page.  Yesterday, the forum has shifted to Expanded (showing the thread title and the first few lines of the latest post and a lot of white space) and even though Condensed is still showing as an option, it doesn't seem to work. 

Is this just a temporary glitch, or is this the was it will be going forward?

Thanks so much!

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, ebk said:

Hi Sam.  Happy New Year!

I read the forum from my Unread Content page and I had it set to Condensed (top right).  That choice shows only the thread title and I can get more threads on the page.  Yesterday, the forum has shifted to Expanded (showing the thread title and the first few lines of the latest post and a lot of white space) and even though Condensed is still showing as an option, it doesn't seem to work. 

Thanks so much!

I'm seeing the same glitch. Thanks for letting me know. Will have a tech look into that. Happy New Year!

Hi Sam, I was wonder if you could change my username to RainbowElf, written just like the with the capital R and E, that’s how I meant my username to be, but somehow I typed it ElfRainbow.

Can you change this for me?

Thank you 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ebk said:

Hi Sam.  Happy New Year!

Thanks so much!

This is now fixed

• Administrators
1 hour ago, RainbowElf said:

Hi Sam, I was wonder if you could change my username to RainbowElf, written just like the with the capital R and E, that’s how I meant my username to be, but somehow I typed it ElfRainbow.

Can you change this for me?

Thank you 

Username is updated. You’ll need to login with the new username

57 minutes ago, sam_webmaster said:

58 minutes ago, sam_webmaster said:

Thank you so much Sam, a Happy New Year to you.

• Administrators

BTW, having some server issues lately with my WEBMASTER@LEDZEPPELIN.COM email. Message me through the forum, for those trying to reach me, until it gets resolved.

Edited by sam_webmaster
Email working again