• Houses Of The Holy
    • Physical Graffitti
    • Presence
    • The Song Remains The Same
    • In Through The Out Door
    • Remasters / 1990 Boxset
    • BBC Sessions
    • How The West Was Won

Led Zeppelin. The cover is simple and dramatic-just like the album. A great debut cover. It's the first LZ album I bought and I've had 4 copies to date (cassette, vinyl and cd)

At the time it came out in 1975 I remember listening to Physical Graffiti and marveling at the album cover while I sat on the floor next to my record player.

It was innovative, and very cleverly designed for that time period. Remember that was almost 33 years ago. Yeah, there were other bands that had neat covers, but not like this band. That cover was hot!

That's the sad part of most music put out today. There is something about the cover of an LP vinyl record that you can never get in today's world of tiny CD covers.

III- But to fully appreciate it you have to see the vinyl album.

I have a few copies of this one, and whenever I think of it I always feel bad for those who are younger and didn't get the benefit if real albums and the cover art... so much is lost on the CD just because of the size and when you get into the reissues you usually lose even more. I was always a sucker for the art and the liner notes. So many people young people today don't know what you are talking about when you talk about the Zeppelin album with the wheel, and sadly they never will. I think its the sad by product of the technology that "may have" given us better sounding more portable music. They will never understand just how much fun that was to try and match up all of pictures with the openings... If I remember correctly you could never match all of them up at one time.

I remember spending ages as a kid playing with the wheel on my Big Brother's LZ III (and it came out of the sleeve, Bonus!) But I still love the Corn Circle/Zeppelin shadow on the 1990 Box. So What's Yours?

PS No Coda, the sleeve sucks.

Are you kidding me? My big brother had a Led Zeppelin III album, and I used to play with the wheel, too. How wierd is that?

I like to think of the Presence cover as dependent upon the listener/onlooker too for its meaning.... As we know, it has a series of photos of people in different situations, looking a bit like they were taken in the 50's or early 60's. The theme in the photos is the 'presence' of a mysterious 'object' slightly reminiscent of the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, perhaps suggesting power. The whole idea suggests an endless series of questions, and partly in the spirit of surrealism: what's the role of the object in the different situations? Or does it play a different role each time? Why are the photos suggestive of a period that was in the recent past at the time of release? You end up with interpretations that are personal, subjective, and you know that there is no 'objective' solution to riddle of the situations depicted. This is all to my liking. B)

I have to go with the In Through The Out Door record album because of it's inter-active nature. When you take a wet sponge and rub it accross the inner sleeve then the hidden water colored looking ink would come through

Holy crap - never even heard of that, and I've had the album (yes, vinyl) for 20+ years.

My favorite album cover is the 1990 remasters box set, with the beautiful Alton Barnes crop circle. It's so apropos for Zep, both communicating England, magic, mystery, transcendence... OK I'm rambling now.

I like to think of the Presence cover as dependent upon the listener/onlooker too for its meaning.... As we know, it has a series of photos of people in different situations, looking a bit like they were taken in the 50's or early 60's. The theme in the photos is the 'presence' of a mysterious 'object' slightly reminiscent of the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, perhaps suggesting power. The whole idea suggests an endless series of questions, and partly in the spirit of surrealism: what's the role of the object in the different situations? Or does it play a different role each time? Why are the photos suggestive of a period that was in the recent past at the time of release? You end up with interpretations that are personal, subjective, and you know that there is no 'objective' solution to riddle of the situations depicted. This is all to my liking. B)

I am aware there were 5 different versions of this thing, making it cool for a die hard collector I guess, but try finding all of them. I say decide on a cover, get it out there and move on to a new album. Most people wouldnt fall for that marketing ploy, not the smart ones anyhow :)

Shad :unsure: w

I am aware there were 5 different versions of this thing, making it cool for a die hard collector I guess, but try finding all of them. I say decide on a cover, get it out there and move on to a new album. Most people wouldnt fall for that marketing ploy, not the smart ones anyhow :)

Apologies I was thinking ITTOD...oh well need some brain food.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love Presence as an album cover and as a piece of art. The symbol of the Black Obelisk representing the band and the quirky people gathered around it is hilariously ironic and shows the inflating ego of the band at the time and the self-serving prickness that would destroy the band.

Also, Houses of the Holy is beautiful but pretty random.

Archived