1977 pro-shot soundcheck

Flares

Another enormous problem is that many of the Zep "inner circle" seem to be sworn to

secrecy. Remember that few if any knew that Page was a heroin addict until Hammer of The Gods came out. And many thought CODA was it, nothing more in the vaults, which

seems almost hysterically absurd now. Well, the secrecy and mystique is part of the legend.

Another enormous problem is that many of the Zep "inner circle" seem to be sworn to

secrecy. Remember that few if any knew that Page was a heroin addict until Hammer of The Gods came out. And many thought CODA was it, nothing more in the vaults, which

seems almost hysterically absurd now. Well, the secrecy and mystique is part of the legend.

Actually, everyone was discussing Jimmy's affair with the white lady and the horse when Zeppelin toured the U.S. in 1977. The guy was so drastically gaunt compared to 1975 it was obvious. It was such an open secret that Creem magazine joked about it often, making references in their articles and the photo captions.

Actually, everyone was discussing Jimmy's affair with the white lady when Zeppelin toured the U.S. in 1977. The guy was so drastically gaunt compared to 1975 it was obvious. It was such an open secret that Creem magazine joked about it often, making references in their articles and the photo captions.

He may have had an affair with the white lady. But thats not why he was gaunt! Cmon you know he was dancing with Mr brownstone since the end of 75 when Robert has his car accident. During his off time from 75 to 77 he got hooked. And I dont care what anyone says, He may have been skinny and, sometimes, looked bad and played sloppy, But that never made a difference to him. He made that shit look GOOD!

He may have had an affair with the white lady. But thats not why he was gaunt! Cmon you know he was dancing with Mr brownstone since the end of 75 when Robert has his car accident. During his off time from 75 to 77 he got hooked. And I dont care what anyone says, He may have been skinny and, sometimes, looked bad and played sloppy, But that never made a difference to him. He made that shit look GOOD!

Yeah, I meant the heroin too.

Some of these posts do not make sense to me. Everyone knew Page had a drug problem in the late 70s; it was discussed at my jr. high school in '77 and none of us were in the Zep "inner circle." As for video (surely you mean film converted to video) I saw some footage of Landover '77 via this website (link to a Youtube video I think). I remember it distinctly because it was the show I would have gone to if I hadn't been too young to drive.

Lot of reels used to be stored at the museum. So many over time and they were not managed correctly.  I have some without labels, could it be Philly 1969 also? 

I do recall Zeppelin playing Carnegie Hall 1969.  I bet ever penny to my name recording and possible film exists there as well.  Nobody just plays Carnegie Hall, that is a very prestigious place and an honor to perform there.  Anyone listen to Benny Goodman's 1938 performance at Carnegie Hall ?  Pretty darn good performance and quality, just imagine Zeppelin 1969 perform there :)    The recordings are most likely stored 13 floors underground in a vault somewhere in NYC and as safe as the Coca Cola recipe. 

philly-1.jpg

1. SymphonyX, what else do you KNOW exists.

2. What do SUSPECT is out there?

3. You mentioned something (audio, video tapes, etc.) being stored in a "mueseum." What place are you reffering to exactly? Thanks for your input on this forum so far! We'd love to hear more from you...

Lot of reels used to be stored at the museum. So many over time and they were not managed correctly.  I have some without labels, could it be Philly 1969 also? 

I do recall Zeppelin playing Carnegie Hall 1969.  I bet ever penny to my name recording and possible film exists there as well.  Nobody just plays Carnegie Hall, that is a very prestigious place and an honor to perform there.  Anyone listen to Benny Goodman's 1938 performance at Carnegie Hall ?  Pretty darn good performance and quality, just imagine Zeppelin 1969 perform there :)    The recordings are most likely stored 13 floors underground in a vault somewhere in NYC and as safe as the Coca Cola recipe. 

philly-1.jpg

3. You mentioned something (audio, video tapes, etc.) being stored in a "mueseum." What place are you reffering to exactly? Thanks for your input on this forum so far! We'd love to hear more from you...

Good luck. ;)

You've proven my point. You can't back up the bullshit you post.

Didn't you put me on ignore a long time ago?

I have never put anyone on ignore...but you are seriously causing me to reconsider that decision.

The only bullshit is your putting words in my mouth and extrapolating meanings from my posts that don't exist.

I responded to rm2557's question asking if anyone had heard if Jimmy had said anything about having pro-shot video from 1977. The thrust of my response clearly was about how there could have been all sorts of official reels of film or video tapes of the band, but they are pretty useless if nobody knows where they are or where to find them. I compared the seemingly inexhaustible and orderly official releases from the vault by The Rolling Stones, Neil Young, Dylan and the Beatles to the relatively scrimpy and piecemeal Led Zeppelin releases. 

I said nothing about Showco employees or from where the sources for the bootlegs were coming. That was all you. I also never said anything about tapes existing for Carnegie Hall or Philadelphia 1969...that was some other guy. Once again, your imagination has run away with you.

Personally, at this late date, I take any claims of found footage with a large grain of salt. It's great when it turns out to be true...as in the case of the guy who found his tape of the September 19, 1970 evening show in his closet after 30 years. But photos of old boxes don't mean anything. I know a projectionist and he has all kinds of film canisters and boxes. I could easily write Boston Tea Party 1969 or Houston Summit 1977 on one of his old cans and post a photo here...but it wouldn't mean shit without visual/audio proof.

There really is no need for all this rancor, as no one has made any lock-tight claim that full show or extensive 77' footage ABSOLUTELY does or doesn't exist. There were many good reasons cited in the

last few posts why none would exist, yet you can't rule it out completely. And someone said something

like,"Produce the video/film, or shut up". Well ultimately you are spinning in a whirlpool, and I agree it is

foolish to hope or have any expectations on this highly speculative situation.

I personally like to hope and trust. Who would have thought, for example, that The Doors had been taped in 66 at the London Fog? and the long rumoured last New Orleans tape? Now we know they exist. It may take decades to materialize, that is the major problem.

The thing here, IMO, is why on Earth is Page so reluctant to release live stuff, being either audio or video. In any case, it is irritating, especially if you consider that back in the day, JP said that LZ was meant to be heard LIVE!

I wish a lot of luck to those persons having archive stuff and trying tomake a deal with band`s estates.

I personally like to hope and trust. Who would have thought, for example, that The Doors had been taped in 66 at the London Fog? and the long rumoured last New Orleans tape? Now we know they exist. It may take decades to materialize, that is the major problem.

The thing here, IMO, is why on Earth is Page so reluctant to release live stuff, being either audio or video. In any case, it is irritating, especially if you consider that back in the day, JP said that LZ was meant to be heard LIVE!

I wish a lot of luck to those persons having archive stuff and trying tomake a deal with band`s estates.

Unlike the situations you mentioned, we didn't have members of The Doors saying "We didn't record the London Fog." Page has made it clear that they didn't multi-track anything in 1977, and the only verified video that we know of (in that it existed at some point, if not now) are Pontiac and Seattle.

Pontiac is the only interesting POSSIBLE video. However, someone from inside the Zep camp told me face to face that he does NOT know of any video from Pontiac. And I think this person would know.

The soundboard probably, hopefully, most likely exists. But as far as video goes I have doubts now.

Pontiac is the only interesting POSSIBLE video. However, someone from inside the Zep camp told me face to face that he does NOT know of any video from Pontiac. And I think this person would know.

The soundboard probably, hopefully, most likely exists. But as far as video goes I have doubts now.

We know through photos the Pontiac show was filmed, and those who were at the show said it was projected onto a screen in the Silverdome itself, so either your source doesn't know, or it wasn't recorded... if it had been, I really do believe it would have leaked by now, a la Seattle, Earl's Court, Knebworth, etc.

Would be nice to be proven wrong though...

Pontiac 77 was nothing earth-shattering. Neither were either of the Richfield Coliseum dates, regardless of how nice the soundboard or the audience recordings sound.  We all have our favorites, but the better 1977 shows happened in New York and LA. Anything else is kind of a detour.

Video is always nice to watch once or twice, but Pontiac or some random soundcheck from 1977 is a looooong way away from being a holy grail.

Archived