1977 pro-shot soundcheck

Flares

Pretty sure these are from the warmups for 1975 tour, Not sound check but still cool!

hpojscan02.jpg

528400121_l.jpg

These two photos aren't from the 1975 warmups. The one where Jimmy is wearing the Black Dragon pants is definitely from the third night at the Forum, March 27, 1975. The bottom photo looks like it is from the 1977 tour rehearsals...at Manticore Studios perhaps?

These two photos aren't from the 1975 warmups. The one where Jimmy is wearing the Black Dragon pants is definitely from the third night at the Forum, March 27, 1975. The bottom photo looks like it is from the 1977 tour rehearsals...at Manticore Studios perhaps?

Actually you're right. The top one is from the third night at the forum. But the bottom one is from some 1977 warmups. I got these mixed up. because i have a set of pictures from a 1975 warmup and jimmy is wearing the dragon pants with that 1973 studded shirt. I am trying to find them now, I have so many pics and its really hard to fins specific ones lol, i have to organize my picture folder lol

EDIT

Actually he is wearing the star pants. I thought he was wearing the dragon pants. But that 75 warmup gig he was wearing the star pants.

"I know where there's amazing footage of a '77 Led Zeppelin sound check with fantastic sound and video
but will never be shown." :shifty:

Translates to me: Na-nana-na-na. I have a toy you wanna play with but you can't have it.  :( :sarcastic_hand:

Happens all the time in the Zep "trading" community. A lot of the hoarders seem to think that the longer they hold out the more their shit will be worth with the bootleg companies...they don't realize that the more time marches on the less demand there will be for this material, ergo the less money the bootleggers would be willing to shell out. At this juncture the hoarders might as well just say fuck it and give the stuff they're hoarding out. Nobody likes the "I have something YOU don't have!" game, it kinda goes outta vogue by the time you turn, oh, I dunno, twelve years old or so...

Happens all the time in the Zep "trading" community. A lot of the hoarders seem to think that the longer they hold out the more their shit will be worth with the bootleg companies...they don't realize that the more time marches on the less demand there will be for this material, ergo the less money the bootleggers would be willing to shell out. At this juncture the hoarders might as well just say fuck it and give the stuff they're hoarding out. Nobody likes the "I have something YOU don't have!" game, it kinda goes outta vogue by the time you turn, oh, I dunno, twelve years old or so...

Spot on. As I said back when rumours of Houston video and/or soundboard surfaced years ago, the bootleg market is shrinking. Us old fogeys who grew up buying bootleg vinyl and cds are getting older and pretty soon will start dying off. Today's kids grow up expecting everything for free. They are not interested in getting vinyl or silver cds when they can find it on the internet.

Spot on. As I said back when rumours of Houston video and/or soundboard surfaced years ago, the bootleg market is shrinking. Us old fogeys who grew up buying bootleg vinyl and cds are getting older and pretty soon will start dying off. Today's kids grow up expecting everything for free. They are not interested in getting vinyl or silver cds when they can find it on the internet.

1336218665870154278.jpg

So people should be lining the pockets of bootleggers? "Hey, I'll EQ this recording and sell it for $100 a pop." Nah, this stuff should be traded freely.

Star Page witness in bootleg case

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/glasgow_and_west/6917449.stm

But, the rock star said: "The legitimate part is where fans trade music, but once you start packaging it up and you do not know what you are getting, you are breaking the rules legally and morally.

"There are some of these recordings where it is just a whirring and you cannot hear the music.

"If you have something like this that appears legitimate then it is just not right."

^^^

Well, Strider and Jimmy Page both make good points :lol: 

Fortunately, I've never been 'burned' when it comes to unofficial recordings I've actually bought...and that's the beautiful thing about how nowadays this stuff can be 'exchanged' online freely- if a new recording comes out you can download a track or two for a sample and if it sounds like shit into the recycle bin it goes. 

^^^

Well, Strider and Jimmy Page both make good points :lol: 

Fortunately, I've never been 'burned' when it comes to unofficial recordings I've actually bought...and that's the beautiful thing about how nowadays this stuff can be 'exchanged' online freely- if a new recording comes out you can download a track or two for a sample and if it sounds like shit into the recycle bin it goes. 

;)

Without a doubt. I would say the resurgence of Zep's popularity in the mid 90's was the time to strike for the bootleggers insofar as making money, after that it was all down hill due to the internet as pointed out. It may have swung back up in 08' - 10' right after the reunion but now, no way. The time of making money off of bootlegs is past.

So, if there be recordings or video in them bootleg vaults, just release them to the masses and call it a day.

Without a doubt. I would say the resurgence of Zep's popularity in the mid 90's was the time to strike for the bootleggers insofar as making money, after that it was all down hill due to the internet as pointed out. It may have swung back up in 08' - 10' right after the reunion but now, no way. The time of making money off of bootlegs is past.

So, if there be recordings or video in them bootleg vaults, just release them to the masses and call it a day.

^These. :)

1336218665870154278.jpg

So people should be lining the pockets of bootleggers? "Hey, I'll EQ this recording and sell it for $100 a pop." Nah, this stuff should be traded freely.

Sath, my good man, you mistook my meaning. I wasn't making a value judgment of any sort on people who download.

I was merely saying the physical bootleg market is shrinking, so those hoarders holding onto tapes thinking the longer they hold onto them the richer they wlll get are delusional. The days of a physical bootleg album selling into the thousands and being reviewed by Rolling Stone or Creem magazine are OVER.

Therefore, it follows that if the sales are shrinking, the Japanese bootleggers can't afford to pay what they used to pay for tapes. My point was exactly what Nutrocker and IpMan said...hoarders are cutting off their nose to spite their face by not making these hidden tapes available now before the market completely dries up.

Sath, my good man, you mistook my meaning. I wasn't making a value judgment of any sort on people who download.

I was merely saying the physical bootleg market is shrinking, so those hoarders holding onto tapes thinking the longer they hold onto them the richer they wlll get are delusional. The days of a physical bootleg album selling into the thousands and being reviewed by Rolling Stone or Creem magazine are OVER.

Therefore, it follows that if the sales are shrinking, the Japanese bootleggers can't afford to pay what they used to pay for tapes. My point was exactly what Nutrocker and IpMan said...hoarders are cutting off their nose to spite their face by not making these hidden tapes available now before the market completely dries up.

haha ok fair enough. my bad. :friends:

Look, I'm no expert but considering the 11  1/2 years together, I believe logic dictates perhapsthat besides the

Seattle 77' full show ?? there must be a number of shows at least half videoed/recorded. And Page's

quality control is a huge factor, but also the limited technology back in the 70's....I believe most 8mm and

16mm film was limited to like , 15 minutes, just maybe a 1/2 hr(not even sure about this, maybe just pro

gear). Still , IMO there are some considerable sections of totally unseen shows out there, but watchable

and listenable, probably less than 10. Remember, almost no video cameras, certainly no smart phones.

A random soundcheck from 1977 would be watched  once by the larger population of fans, and maybe watched twice by the diehards. 

The real gems from 1977 are the random bits of footage shot by fans. Yet nobody ever really talks about those.

Case in point: the fan shot footage of the band at the Forum on 6/23/77. It's only a handful of minutes, but I would take that footage over all of Seattle 77, and anything else from 1977 rumored to exist (Houston, Pontiac).

Better to have a few minutes of a truly great show than 180 minutes of a "good" show.

The proshot videos of Earls Court don't really do much for me. Maybe the clip of Dazed and Confused from 5/24/75, since that was a really dramatic performance that I think comes across really good on the video. For 1975,  I still prefer the amateur clips from Philadelphia, Seattle, and LA. Those were all better shows than Earls Court (huge production aside), so getting to see that kind of footage is cooler in my book. 

All this is understandable and really due to your mindset. Those short clips of blazing

glory to some are disconcerting and jarring. I have some of those compilation discs 

and MY brain can only take those at certain times. But definetly as "good" as the full

Knebworth and EC shows attest, I can fully agree how watching a slightly ponderous 

3 hr show at home as opposed to seeing the show in person , can surely try anyone's

patience. Of course I welcome any new Zep live footage. Then again, a full 77' Forum

video/film---priceless.

I don't buy the story. Besides, we heard rumors of a 5.21.77 video long long long before this. And then rumors of the Landover run having videos. And of course, it is a known fact Pontiac was very likely recorded. Ask yourself, with cameras on-stage recording the band for the feed to the jumbotron/projection/??? screen, closed circuit TV, and breaking the Beatles and their own attendance records in Pontiac in 1977, why wouldn't it be recorded? Also, lost recordings are found all the time. It may be sitting in an unknown box somewhere.

More likely to lost, sitting in some unknown box of junk, than it would be "hoarded" from 1977 to 2015. Doesn't seem likely someone would hold onto a soundcheck video for almost 40 years.

^^^

Thing is, Wilson, we know only a handful of '77 shows were filmed (for the benefit of the video screens at the big gigs mostly). I tend to believe the Pontiac video has been lost to the annals of rock history- otherwise it probably would have appeared by now. Houston...well, there are people who claim to have seen it (key word there being "claim") but my guess is that if that video footage does indeed exist -and it stands to reason that it does since footage of just about every other big act who played the Summit in that era has appeared- it's either in the hands of people who can't be bothered to circulate it or assholes who like playing the "Nyah-nyah-nyah....I have something YOU don't have!!!" childish games.

And as Strider and I have both pointed out over the course of this discussion, if this footage is being hoarded, well, if the hoarders are expecting a big score with it that ship has probably sailed. I think Zeppelin live audio/video stuff getting out into circulation probably peaked about ten years ago, we've really only gotten "new" stuff in dribs and drabs since then.

As for this supposed "1977 soundcheck" footage...I don't believe it, if for no other reason Zeppelin didn't do soundchecks in 1977. How the hell could they find time to do a soundcheck when they couldn't even arrive at most of the fuckin' gigs on time :lol:

As for this supposed "1977 soundcheck" footage...I don't believe it, if for no other reason Zeppelin didn't do soundchecks in 1977. How the hell could they find time to do a soundcheck when they couldn't even arrive at most of the fuckin' gigs on time :lol:

Too true..LOL, touché.   :)

Well on another site I'm pretty sure recalling a SHOWCO staffer having said that after the 

show Peter Grant wanted the video/film from a certain 77' show immediately destroyed.

Of course it was probably from Page's orders, if true, and he didn't want a document of

his drugged out state/ terrible playing on a particular show recorded. That might account

for some of the huge video screen shows simply logically unavailable. Still, considering

that Page put overdubs on and "corrections" on stuff as solid as the BBC sessions, Page

must have more video/film than he says. That PATHOLOGICAL perfectionism !!!

If there was another pro-shot '77 concert in Page's possession, why didn't he let footage be used in the Travelling Riverside Blues video?

a - he preferred the visuals from Seattle

b -he doesn't have another pro-shot video from '77

c - another reason...

It's most likely these tapes are in the hands of private collectors, if they exist, at all.

Archived