2015 NHL season

LedZeppfan77

Dear Santa, 

This year, I ask not to get something, but for you to take something away. Bernier, the guy we got to be the #1 goalie, is WINLESS this season. I know it's a bit early, but fans of the beloved Buds  can't wait as we need all the wins we can get. Please ensure that his jinxed ass gets shipped out - minors, North Pole, wherever. I'll leave out extra cookies.

Sincerely,

crazed fans

Dear Santa, 

This year, I ask not to get something, but for you to take something away. Bernier, the guy we got to be the #1 goalie, is WINLESS this season. I know it's a bit early, but fans of the beloved Buds  can't wait as we need all the wins we can get. Please ensure that his jinxed ass gets shipped out - minors, North Pole, wherever. I'll leave out extra cookies.

Sincerely,

crazed fans

Being a fan of the Bills and Sabres is tough enough, but i would not trade that for being a Leafs or Browns fan for anything.  I do give the Leafs and Browns fans credit for sticking with their teams.  Signing Babcock must have given you all dillusional thinking that somehow he would take this mess and win with it?  No way.  Though Remier is playing well, they just are not good enough yet.   We are not either as we are young.  But we have the chore of young talent that will be skating for the Cup very soon.  

Being a fan of the Bills and Sabres is tough enough, but i would not trade that for being a Leafs or Browns fan for anything.  I do give the Leafs and Browns fans credit for sticking with their teams.  Signing Babcock must have given you all dillusional thinking that somehow he would take this mess and win with it?  No way.  Though Remier is playing well, they just are not good enough yet.   We are not either as we are young.  But we have the chore of young talent that will be skating for the Cup very soon.  

https://media.giphy.com/media/O5NyCibf93upy/giphy.gif

He's right tho, Jack and Samson and ROR and Risto, ridiculous potential there.

Hey, long time no see.  How about our Sabres guy?  I love what they are building.  Ristolainen, Reinhart and of course Jack Eichel with O'Reilly and Kane have really put us back on the map.  Many do not think we can make it this year.  I am not so sure.  I expect to win tonight vs what should be a tired Coyotes team.  We had that Detroit game and the one big mistake Bylsma is making is keeping Gionta out there.  He is used goods.  Finished. He killed us with that penalty with 7 minutes left.  Bench his ass already. I do not care he is the captain.  That is simply a consolation prize for the used up veteran. He did not want to play here when he was in his prime as far as I know.  He is a midget out there.  

Hey, long time no see.  How about our Sabres guy?  I love what they are building.  Ristolainen, Reinhart and of course Jack Eichel with O'Reilly and Kane have really put us back on the map.  Many do not think we can make it this year.  I am not so sure.  I expect to win tonight vs what should be a tired Coyotes team.  We had that Detroit game and the one big mistake Bylsma is making is keeping Gionta out there.  He is used goods.  Finished. He killed us with that penalty with 7 minutes left.  Bench his ass already. I do not care he is the captain.  That is simply a consolation prize for the used up veteran. He did not want to play here when he was in his prime as far as I know.  He is a midget out there.  

Agree with everything you said there. 

Curses. Once again, the city of Buffalo proves to be the LA Kings bete noir. 

The Sabres outplayed the Kings and once again we got fucked by the review.  Big deal the guys skate was off the ice with 4 crossing the blue line at the same time.  It had no affect on the goal.  It should have counted.  But we beat them in the end.  The Dallas game dd not turn out as well.  This kid Rasmus Ristolainen is a beast.  Him and Eichel and Reinhart will take the Sabres to the Cup within 3 years.  Bylsma is right on schedule and doing a fine job with the very talented young team he has acquired.  O'Reilly is  beast.  The guy that scored the game winner.  Watch out. We are coming

BREAKING NEWS! Bernier has won his FIRST game of the season, a confident 5-0 shutout against a strong Kings team. Given that the other two goalies that leapfrogged him as starters are both injured, and his backup tonight has never played a NHL game, Bernier really had to step up, and finally got his first win for the Leafs and against his former team. It's a joy watching the Leafs play even though they have a losing record. You can actually see plays being executed and they're playing the right way. There's a sense of purpose and direction and hope. It stems from excellent leadership. This change in the management and coaching teams is a huge shift and you can already see the benefits. As far as balancing losing and playing Babcock's style, on the one hand we want a high draft pick, on the other we want to show there's a solid culture in place to land free agents and speed up the turn around. I'd love it if Stamkos would sign with us. Crosby looks miserable in Pittsburgh. That's a far tougher player to pry, but then again, I never thought we'd land Babcock... you never know...

The Habs have lost seven of eight games, which should even out once Price returns, but this over reliance on the goalie is something that will catch up with their coach. Therrien got away with it the first time Price was out, and when he returns they'll win many games, but this is risky for the playoffs. The commentators mentioned that Montreal is not tough enough. This lack of diversity in the lineup coupled with the coach's tendency of having a game plan of 'Carey will stop it' will get exposed by opposing coaches come post-season. If they keep losing, maybe they'll need to trade for a goalie. We've got one... :D 

Oh boy. Now there's a timeline to a bold, shall we call it, prediction. Well, if your hockey prognostications are anything like your baseball ones...

Be assured of this prediction!!!  The Sabres are better than the Leafs and will be better than the Leafs until hell freezes over

Be assured of this prediction!!!  The Sabres are better than the Leafs and will be better than the Leafs until hell freezes over

I will file that with your Buffalo Bills prediction. Or...as Paul Le Mat tells MacKenzie Phillips in "American Graffiti", 'file that under CS'. :P

I will file that with your Buffalo Bills prediction. Or...as Paul Le Mat tells MacKenzie Phillips in "American Graffiti", 'file that under CS'. :P

We beat the Kings  Paul.  We are a dangerous team on the rise   Will take 2-3 years to develope these young kids

We beat the Kings  Paul.  We are a dangerous team on the rise   Will take 2-3 years to develope these young kids

lolwut? You're one point up, this with two extra games played. We've scored five more goals than you even though we traded away our best goal scorer. We've only let in one more goal than you, even though our precarious goaltending situation can best be described as being held together by a prayer. Our current backup has never played a game in the NHL. Bernier just won his second game, and he's the one we thought we could depend on this season. We started the season winning only one game out of the first ten, and yet here we are, almost at .500. If there's any team that's on the upswing, it's the Leafs. And we're not even focusing on winning as we want a high draft pick, but the winning is simply a by-product of playing the right way, of buying into Babcock's system, which is clearly working.

You can't win based on developing three young players. Ask Edmonton. And by the way, we've got a ton of young, good, smart talent. Don't look now, but our minor team, Marlies, is at the top of the league. 

You'd best prepare that beer for me, Rick. And I'll make the same bet with you for next year, or any other year after that :D

In other hockey news, I was watching the Habs coach being interviewed after the game and he totally threw his goalies under the bus! "We need better performance from the goaltending." WOW! How about getting your team to play a system that isn't so reliant on the goalie standing on his head every game? How about creating plays that give your team a better chance to score? This team won its first nine games, and while Price was excellent, he's not a goal scorer, so his absence is not the sole factor for the Habs losing eight of nine. Therrien needs to clean his mirror. Not that I'm complaining about the Habs spiraling :D 

He's right tho, Jack and Samson and ROR and Risto, ridiculous potential there.

She is simply jealous as the Leafs will not make these kind of moves.  And they have all of the money

I cant believe we finally play Boston Saturday.  The latest I can ever remember us playing them in a season.  As we play them many times being in the same division  We have  a week off and should be ready to rumble.  Bylsma is building something special.  And so is our old friend Lindy Ruff in Dallas.  He really has them on the fly.  Washington right now to me is the best team.  A Washington and Dallas final is probably the consensus pick.  I could see Washinton or the Rangers or Boston coming out of the East but I think Washington is easily the best right now.  In the West Dallas has to worry about the Kings and Blues and Hawks.  And the Wild also.  I will say I pick the Capitals to be there and play any of Dallas, St Louis, Chicago, LA, or Minny.  I am leaning towards a Blues vs Caps final.  Sleeper could be San Jose

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2016 at 10:02 PM, Patrycja said:

Lost between the posts was a five game losing streak ;) sorta like the one the Leafs are currently on lol. Gunning for that #1 pick while playing with integrity is the name of the game :D 

You know our rebuild is ahead of schedule.  We have now won 4 of last 5 including a win over Washington.  The best team and I believe the team that will win the Cup. They will likely have to beat one of three teams, the Kings, Dallas (who play tonight) and Chicago.  Jack Eichel  and Rasmus Ristolainen were in on both goals last night.   Those two are going to be something special for years..  Ristolainen is just fabulous.  I see your Leafs have really made some big strides.   The ugly loss the other night the exception  Lets see if they can go into Philly tonight and beat the Flyers.  I hope so.  Reimer coming back is huge.  He is a very good goalie.  I think we have something in Chad Johnson  He  is better than Ullmark and Lehner.  But not by much over Ullmark who is pretty good also.  O'Reilly has been a real help to this team.  This time next year I believe Dan Bylsma will have them in the race.  They would have to go nuts to make it this year and I am not expecting it and its not the goal.  The goal is to develop this young group and he is doing a fine job.  Next stop Colorado.  A team that has been great on the road but not so great at home.   I say we have a good shot at them

Oh, Strider, if you read this, how did the Kings and Quick manage to screw up that game vs Ottawa?  I thought they had that game in the bag?  3-1 after two periods I believe and they lost 5-3.  That is like the only time I can remember the Kings allowing that to happen.  A collapse, likely more from complacency than from anything else.  A very rare and strange event

That's probably the most measured assessment of our teams you've made, Rick. In a way, all of this cheering and jeering for or against teams this year is moot as our teams are not yet where they intend to be. A better measure of the paths they're on is 2-3 years from now (although Babs said it may take even longer). I don't know if we're on schedule or ahead of it or behind. We had a winning streak of I think 4-5 games, and are now deep in the middle of a losing streak (including a shootout loss to the Habs BOO! but we did come from a two-goal deficit and at least got a point out of it). 

Reimer's situation is tricky. Again. Babs has hinted about his lack of toughness in coming back from a groin injury (ie/ Reims wouldn't do in for Bernier when the latter let in 4 goals in that 7-0 drubbing) because apparently he doesn't want to risk going in cold. Maybe, but I also think Reims is looking after his save % which is at or near the top of the league. What's the point of going in for a loss? In a way, I can't blame him. The team has treated him indifferently for a long time now, like an afterthought if all the #1s they keep bringing in don't work out. He's playing for his next contract wherever that may be. I'd love for him to stay, but eventually we'll need an elite goalie.

Our prospects outside of Reilly are mostly in the minors, but they're doing very well. The kid who scored the game winner for gold in the juniors world championship is a Leafs prospect. Marner and Nylander are excelling ahead of schedule, too. Can't wait to see them play as pros. I'm curious who we'll add via trade and draft. This off season may be even more interesting than the season itself, and I've enjoyed watching the Leafs despite the losses. You can see Babs's system even if they get brain cramps sometimes. I don't recognize half the players on the team, so it'll be great once things stabilize a bit. 

Still, we're light years away from where we were. Thank the hockey gods!

Chicago is on a tear. I think they take it this year.

Archived