2015 NHL season

LedZeppfan77

I like the new OT rules.

Well they have not helped my team and the Kings look terrible. Buffalo has no quality goalie but played very well.  

Cant believe I took the Capitals tonight to get to 10 wins in a row on 5 dimes where I have the lead.  I need the one win to get $500.  Hoping they win the game so I can at least push and live another day.  2-2 heading to period 3 vs a backup goalie. Was going to take Montreal but did not know if Price would play due to back to back.  Now I have to sweet this out.

I'm LOVING the 3-on-3 OT format! Opens up the ice and increases end to end opportunities. A great idea for the new NHL where rinks are smaller than in international play but the players are hulks compared to those in the past. Too bad we lost in the shootout, but at least we earned a point, which is no small victory given we were down 3-0. 

Finally Reimer got a chance after outplaying Bernier in every stat in pre-season and then watching him give up a goal on the first shot in EACH of the first two games. AND Bernier gave up a goal on the first shot of the second period in yesterday's game. So that's 3 first shot goals in six periods. Jesus Christ, that's got to be some kind of hellish record. Last year, Leafs goalies gave up first shot goals 12 times. TWELVE - bwhahahahaha! Bernier was gunning for a new record this year, it seems, but coach Babcock will have none of it. Still, a true #1 goalie is a glaring need for us, especially given that we'll make mistakes while learning the new system. To think we actually had Rask in our system....

I like that we didn't give up after the 3-0 start and stayed with the game plan and that we managed to score four goals on a good goalie without the zombie sniper.

We outskated and outshot Tampa big time and we get a 2-1 loss for our efforts.  But we took something away from this game.  We are getting better fast.  Expect it to start to show up vs Toronto on Wed.  There are many strange things going on.  Anaheim has not won a game and are a huge early disappointment as are the Kings.  Never mind the OT win by the Kings.  they have been horrible.  Columbus has been killed by their goalie Bobrovsky who cant stop A BEACH BALL right now.  

Get ready Pat because Wed night your Leafs nation will have a huge crowd in Buffalo I am sure.  And the Sabres should take them apart.  Watch this kid Eichel.  Just watch im and Ristolanen.  And eat your hearts out

We outskated and outshot Tampa big time and we get a 2-1 loss for our efforts.  But we took something away from this game.  We are getting better fast.  Expect it to start to show up vs Toronto on Wed.  There are many strange things going on.  Anaheim has not won a game and are a huge early disappointment as are the Kings.  Never mind the OT win by the Kings.  they have been horrible.  Columbus has been killed by their goalie Bobrovsky who cant stop A BEACH BALL right now.  

Get ready Pat because Wed night your Leafs nation will have a huge crowd in Buffalo I am sure.  And the Sabres should take them apart.  Watch this kid Eichel.  Just watch im and Ristolanen.  And eat your hearts out

Both our teams have outplayed opponents in some games we deserved to win, but both also suffer from the same glaring weakness - goalies. Yours got injured, and ours are fighting for #1, mainly because the guy we traded for, Bernier, can't stop pucks at the beginning of the game.

I've seen highlights of Eichel's goals and the kid's already got such a confident offensive flair, no doubt about it. Less tentative than McDavid, but there's less pressure, too (Oilers now have, what? three or four 'chosen ones' on the team and they're still stinking it up, this with new management in place, too. I don't get it). 

Anyway, should be a good, spirited game, Rick, as both are getting anxious for a win. I always love the huge Leafs contingent at Sabres home games. I'll be eating popcorn. I hope you'll be eating crow :P, even though we don't seem to match up well against Buffalo teams historically.

Both our teams have outplayed opponents in some games we deserved to win, but both also suffer from the same glaring weakness - goalies. Yours got injured, and ours are fighting for #1, mainly because the guy we traded for, Bernier, can't stop pucks at the beginning of the game.

I've seen highlights of Eichel's goals and the kid's already got such a confident offensive flair, no doubt about it. Less tentative than McDavid, but there's less pressure, too (Oilers now have, what? three or four 'chosen ones' on the team and they're still stinking it up, this with new management in place, too. I don't get it). 

Anyway, should be a good, spirited game, Rick, as both are getting anxious for a win. I always love the huge Leafs contingent at Sabres home games. I'll be eating popcorn. I hope you'll be eating crow :P, even though we don't seem to match up well against Buffalo teams historically.

We outplayed tampa big time and lost with two minutes left.  I do not think this goalie is any worse than the guy that went down.  But we no longer have an elite guy like Miller. I believe we are more talented than the Leafs right now.  We will see.

Less tentative than McDavid, but there's less pressure, too (Oilers now have, what? three or four 'chosen ones' on the team and they're still stinking it up, this with new management in place, too. I don't get it). 

I'm no Oilers fan (even though I used to live in Edmonton in the 90's and still have some family/friends there) but the whole McDavid hype reminds me of Sydney Crosby when he first started in the NHL: they hype these fuckin' guys up to be the Next Gretzsky and it's just an unrealistic expectation, really. And, yer right, it's really McDavid, Hall and Hopkins carrying the team right now...but at least they sent that terrible fuckin' goalie they had last year (Scrivens) back to the goddamn minors where he truly belongs :lol: That's one big boy they had in net this last weekend...and I noticed what the commentators said about how the size of the goalies and the amount of heavy gear they were wearing is getting a little out of hand. They have a point there IMO.

Thing is, Edmonton has to have a decent season this year, if for no other reason but they poured so much fuckin' money and infastructure into that new porkchop shaped arena they're building (which I understand most Edmontonians didn't even want) that the whole thing's gonna be a bust if the Oilers don't start delivering. People aren't gonna pay three grand a season for tickets in that new arena to watch a consistently losing team.

At least when it comes to my Vancouver Canucks, we've come to have no real expectations with them- the beauty of the Canucks has always seemed to be this almost magical ability at turning ineptitude into glory...

I'm no Oilers fan (even though I used to live in Edmonton in the 90's and still have some family/friends there) but the whole McDavid hype reminds me of Sydney Crosby when he first started in the NHL: they hype these fuckin' guys up to be the Next Gretzsky and it's just an unrealistic expectation, really. And, yer right, it's really McDavid, Hall and Hopkins carrying the team right now...but at least they sent that terrible fuckin' goalie they had last year (Scrivens) back to the goddamn minors where he truly belongs :lol: That's one big boy they had in net this last weekend...and I noticed what the commentators said about how the size of the goalies and the amount of heavy gear they were wearing is getting a little out of hand. They have a point there IMO.

Thing is, Edmonton has to have a decent season this year, if for no other reason but they poured so much fuckin' money and infastructure into that new porkchop shaped arena they're building (which I understand most Edmontonians didn't even want) that the whole thing's gonna be a bust if the Oilers don't start delivering. People aren't gonna pay three grand a season for tickets in that new arena to watch a consistently losing team.

At least when it comes to my Vancouver Canucks, we've come to have no real expectations with them- the beauty of the Canucks has always seemed to be this almost magical ability at turning ineptitude into glory...

Give me back our goalie and the world is ours.  Maybe Ryan is waiting for next year.  If the Canucks get knocked out or do not even get in, Miller will become expendable.  Now the Sabres have a team.  Though young, the signs of greatness are showing already.  In Tampa they outshot them 17-3 in the first period and a cheap penalty by the fucking Zebras with two minutes left  did us in.  I say the only way the Sabres do not demolish the Leafs tonight is if this goalie crumbles early.  Otherwise, it may be a long night for the Leafs.  My Draft Kings team believes it.  Eichel and Ristolanen are both the real deal.  So the hype is warranted.  This kid can flat out play.  Before Gretzky came along nobody even knew where Edmonton was.  And Alberta?  What is a province?  Name 5 of them and I will give you a prize.  I know them because I have relatives from Canada and I grew up watching hockey and love it.  Its in my blood.  But the average american that does not know a hockey puck from one of his grannies overdone biscuits, does not know the provinces or anything  other than Toronto and Montreal.  I am disappointed that McSaviour wound up in the remote desolate frozen tundra of Edmonton.  The city lights of NY or even Buffalo would have given him far more exposure early on.  Jack Eichel may have hit the lottery. He is on a very loved franchise. I can't wait to see my Sabres rise to the top once again. This time I plan on getting it done. The 06 Carolina series was to be our moment and our Cup.  But the hockey Gods as they call them had other plans.  4 of our starting D men went down including Tallinder and we wound up losing a very tough game 7 to a fan base that did not deserve to win.  Nothing but transplanted northerners cheering for a team in their new cozy warm escape the cold home.  Almost as bad as the Cup handed to Denver when it should have been awarded to Quebec City when in actuality it was a Quebec team that won.  Raise the roof Jack Eichel.  You are going to take up to the promised land

Before Gretzky came along nobody even knew where Edmonton was.  And Alberta?  What is a province?  Name 5 of them and I will give you a prize.  I know them because I have relatives from Canada and I grew up watching hockey and love it.  Its in my blood.  But the average american that does not know a hockey puck from one of his grannies overdone biscuits, does not know the provinces or anything  other than Toronto and Montreal.  I am disappointed that McSaviour wound up in the remote desolate frozen tundra of Edmonton.  

:lol::lol: :lol: Funny, 'cos I've said exactly the same things about Edmonton and the Oilers and I used to fucking live there! I had friends who cried when Gretzky got traded to L.A. and I was just like, "Big fuckin' deal"...I watch some of those old Stanley Cup games now and he was just sleepwalking through them anyway. 

I bet if McDavid has an exceptional first season with the Oilers, he'll be outta town on a plane to the first place that can and will make him a better offer. But frankly I could really care less either way...

As for the Canucks, I don't care who they've got playing in goal as long as he can stop the fucking puck. And it also seems really apparent at the start of this season that right now Vancouver would be fucked without the Sedins. I loved their wonderful near miss on Sunday night against the Oilers :lol:

:lol::lol: :lol: Funny, 'cos I've said exactly the same things about Edmonton and the Oilers and I used to fucking live there! I had friends who cried when Gretzky got traded to L.A. and I was just like, "Big fuckin' deal"...I watch some of those old Stanley Cup games now and he was just sleepwalking through them anyway. 

I bet if McDavid has an exceptional first season with the Oilers, he'll be outta town on a plane to the first place that can and will make him a better offer. But frankly I could really care less either way...

As for the Canucks, I don't care who they've got playing in goal as long as he can stop the fucking puck. And it also seems really apparent at the start of this season that right now Vancouver would be fucked without the Sedins. I loved their wonderful near miss on Sunday night against the Oilers :lol:

Dude, what time did you have your first belt this morning?:lol: 8 am Canadian time?  I tell you Eichel has looked great.  The savior has arrived.  and with him Ristolanen.  A beast of a kid.  

^ 'Canadian time' lol 

We outplayed tampa big time and lost with two minutes left.  I do not think this goalie is any worse than the guy that went down.  But we no longer have an elite guy like Miller. I believe we are more talented than the Leafs right now.  We will see.

Miller hasn't been the same since let in the game winning gold goal in the winter Olympics. Guy's been shook ever since and that's why he needed a change of scenery; best for both teams.

You watching? :munchies:

The Oiler dynasty years were such a pleasure to watch, which is why it's still hard to get used to blue and orange playing so poorly. It takes a while to turn it around, and I think it starts with the culture at the top. They've got a good one in the former Bruins honcho, but they need a better D-O balance and some goal tending (again, the dynasty years, they were so strong in net, too).

I think they got Scrivens from us for a bag of pucks or off waivers, I forget. He's not bad but definitely needs more seasoning that regular play generates.

Goalie gear is something I think the league is addressing in terms of size limits of pads and gloves, just like they have one on the length/height (?) and curve of the blade for the rest of the players. Otherwise, a guy can just stand there and barely move and you can't get the puck by him. Compare the equipment from the 80's to now and it's just comical how much more room there was back then. Part of it is that players are just bigger, but truly, today goalies look like a cartoonist exaggerated his size relative to the net - speaking of which, there was something about increasing the size of that as well, I think.

Luongo, like Miller, is a goalie who is excellent but for letting in that one untimely goal at the worst possible time. You could almost feel it coming in tight playoff games. I was just incredibly relieved that Miller let one in before Luongo did in that Gold Medal OT game. Epic. I cried in joy, but it could have gone either way because of their shared tendency.

Another reason why I think Canucks had a hard time is that they, like the Leafs, hung on to the Burke brass too long. He has a vision, but he's too stubborn about not changing it for too long. He did it in Vancouver, Toronto, and now in Calgary. The game's changing and it seems his preferred style isn't. Oh, and Tortorella was a huge asshole. Wasted time with him behind the bench. 

Best of luck to your Canucks, unless, of course, you play the Buds :beer:

^ 'Canadian time' lol 

Miller hasn't been the same since let in the game winning gold goal in the winter Olympics. Guy's been shook ever since and that's why he needed a change of scenery; best for both teams.

You watching? :munchies:

The Oiler dynasty years were such a pleasure to watch, which is why it's still hard to get used to blue and orange playing so poorly. It takes a while to turn it around, and I think it starts with the culture at the top. They've got a good one in the former Bruins honcho, but they need a better D-O balance and some goal tending (again, the dynasty years, they were so strong in net, too).

I think they got Scrivens from us for a bag of pucks or off waivers, I forget. He's not bad but definitely needs more seasoning that regular play generates.

Goalie gear is something I think the league is addressing in terms of size limits of pads and gloves, just like they have one on the length/height (?) and curve of the blade for the rest of the players. Otherwise, a guy can just stand there and barely move and you can't get the puck by him. Compare the equipment from the 80's to now and it's just comical how much more room there was back then. Part of it is that players are just bigger, but truly, today goalies look like a cartoonist exaggerated his size relative to the net - speaking of which, there was something about increasing the size of that as well, I think.

Luongo, like Miller, is a goalie who is excellent but for letting in that one untimely goal at the worst possible time. You could almost feel it coming in tight playoff games. I was just incredibly relieved that Miller let one in before Luongo did in that Gold Medal OT game. Epic. I cried in joy, but it could have gone either way because of their shared tendency.

Another reason why I think Canucks had a hard time is that they, like the Leafs, hung on to the Burke brass too long. He has a vision, but he's too stubborn about not changing it for too long. He did it in Vancouver, Toronto, and now in Calgary. The game's changing and it seems his preferred style isn't. Oh, and Tortorella was a huge asshole. Wasted time with him behind the bench. 

Best of luck to your Canucks, unless, of course, you play the Buds :beer:

You have the breaks so far Pat.  24-17 SOG in favor of the Sabres but a goal tha had eyes on it has your team up 1-0.  I hope we are not going to have the Ducks luck?  Anaheim has played better than their record as have the Sabres.  I am hoping for some justice in the third

You have the breaks so far Pat.  24-17 SOG in favor of the Sabres but a goal tha had eyes on it has your team up 1-0.  I hope we are not going to have the Ducks luck?  Anaheim has played better than their record as have the Sabres.  I am hoping for some justice in the third

Congrats, Rick, your team got the first win :beer:, you got your justice. This was a painful game to watch because 1- I had to 'see' it on a shitty very choppy stream and so it was more like listening to the game, and I did hear a loud piiiing off the post so we were lucky to get a point out of this one and 2- Phaneuf is a bonehead. Luckily his dumb penalty where once again an opponent skates right by him didn't cost us with a goal. Still, playing from behind takes away offensive chances. Hopefully he gets traded.

Well they have not helped my team and the Kings look terrible. Buffalo has no quality goalie but played very well.  

Cant believe I took the Capitals tonight to get to 10 wins in a row on 5 dimes where I have the lead.  I need the one win to get $500.  Hoping they win the game so I can at least push and live another day.  2-2 heading to period 3 vs a backup goalie. Was going to take Montreal but did not know if Price would play due to back to back.  Now I have to sweet this out.

The Kings started off looking terrible, especially goalie Jonathan Quick. But the last I looked, they have a better record than your Sabres. It is only the first week or so...I am not going to over-react to either wins or losses. It always takes time for a team to find its footing. In the Kings Stanley Cup-winning season of 2011-12, the Kings didn't exactly set the league on fire during the regular season.

And Alberta?  What is a province?  Name 5 of them and I will give you a prize.  I know them because I have relatives from Canada and I grew up watching hockey and love it.  Its in my blood.  But the average american that does not know a hockey puck from one of his grannies overdone biscuits, does not know the provinces or anything  other than Toronto and Montreal.

There is Alberta...British Columbia...Ontario...Quebec...Nova Scotia...Dick Manitoba...ummm, Prince of Wales?...Campbell?...oh, wait, there is the Yukon Cornelius Province, too! Hmmmm...can't think of the others...there are 10 Provinces total. Is the Northwest Territories a province or just one of the Canadian territories? But I know I named at least 5, so you owe me a prize Rick. :P 

John Tortirella hired to replace Todd Richards in Columbus.

:cheer: Hurrah! If nothing else, his press conferences are always entertaining in a make-the-media-squirm kind of way.

There is Alberta...British Columbia...Ontario...Quebec...Nova Scotia...Dick Manitoba...ummm, Prince of Wales?...Campbell?...oh, wait, there is the Yukon Cornelius Province, too! Hmmmm...can't think of the others...there are 10 Provinces total. Is the Northwest Territories a province or just one of the Canadian territories? 

The NWT isn't a province, it's a territory...so's the Yukon, by the way, sorry. On topic, have you ever seen Hockey Night In Canada? Don Cherry? Coach's Corner? Ever sing along to "Oh Canada" at the beginning of games? :lol:

Don't feel too bad, though, Strider: for what it's worth, I probably could name all 50 states, and at least most of the capitals, but I would have to think about it for a while :lol: :lol: 

The Sabres are starting to click.  After beating the Flyers for the second time in 4 nights, guys like O'Reilly, Delauriers, Reinhart and oh yes, Jack Eichel are starting to make their presence felt.  They put up 53 shots on goal in Pittsburgh and only a couple of mistakes by a young team did them in 4-3.  But this team is heading up.  This kid that is in for Begosians who is hurt has done a great job and set up the winner in Philly.  The goalies have played very well of late.  Bylsma is getting the job done.  This team is on the rise

• 2 weeks later...

20151114_183233.thumb.jpg.f2de0844335047

20151114_184601.thumb.jpg.88b853ecd54726

I am at the Kings vs. Oilers game tonight. It's Eric Cartman bobblehead night! Respect my authoritaaaay!

20151114_184422.thumb.jpg.4015aca85c966d

Too bad Edmonton's McSavior is injured and out for the game...was hoping to get a first-hand look at the kid.

GO KINGS GO!

But first...a Moment of Silence for Paris...

20151114_190726.thumb.jpg.b5f24ae2ce5bcf

I forget the name of the girl who sang "Oh Canada!" and "Star-Spangled Banner" but she knocked them out of the park! Best renditions I have heard in a long time.

The Kings scored just over a minute into the game...Gaborik. Tanner Pearson added another goal shortly before the end of the period. After one period, Kings up 2-0.

20151114_192803.thumb.jpg.26de6930836883

KINGS WIN! KINGS WIN! A nice fast-paced 4-3 thriller with Nick Shore scoring the game-winner with 1:39 left. Tanner Pearson and Gaborik also had nice games. Not bad for my first game of the season and a much needed respite from the news about Paris.

After a dreadful opening week of the season the Kings are sitting on top of the Pacific division. 

20151114_213846.thumb.jpg.42828a1a7fb72a

20151114_213849.thumb.jpg.86fbb383141a96

I love looking at the retired #s of Dionne and Vachon.

20151114_214612.thumb.jpg.b065f12173d0d8

20151114_214946.thumb.jpg.2b5a9538f79e5c20151114_220438.thumb.jpg.1397f2f9d8fcfb

A group of unhappy Edmonton fans...

20151114_220606.thumb.jpg.90ce7d18edf525

Edmonton fans have a lot to be unhappy about the moment :lol: McDavid is probably out for the rest of the season (broken collarbone)

Thanx for the recap of the L.A/Oilers game, Strider...I dozed off on the couch and missed the third period.

Archived