Clapton and Page

Flares

This playing, I believe, is also on a album called "Guitar Boogie", 3 tracks featuring each player(I think).It's pretty worthwhile to

get because there's a lot of excellent playing on it and it's far more inspired than let's say the Lord Sutch album or some of the

other off the beaten track releases by these three Yardbirds.

• 1 year later...

So much of this speculation seems pointless. I have seen plenty of pictures of Plant and Page with Clapton through the years. These guitarists don't spend much time talking about each other. Brian May loves Zeppelin and the two are friends but you don't hear much from Jimmy about anyone. He's friends with a great number of guitarists. Some people you have friendly enough relationships with but you just aren''t in each other's lives as you are with others. I am sure Jimmy and Eric get along fine.

• 2 months later...
On 10/3/2015 at 6:12 PM, KellyGirl said:

^^ You know that does sound likely the reason. As a big fan of Jimmy, it bums me out to think his drug issues to this day 
nobody knows how much it may have hindered projects with other musicians. I remember watching the footage of Jimmy
at the A R M S in '83 and the S T H solo just left me thinking "Oh no Jimmy :("  Jeff and Eric basically rescuing him on HIS song.
A song he had played hundreds of times.  I'm glad Jimmy is clean today. I just wish we had more 'sober' Jimmy post O2 reunion to
watch.

Tell me about the show when Eric and Jeff came out to supposedly save Jimmy during that solo I didn't see anything wrong with the solo what was wrong with it???

I hear so many people say the same thing but it just seemed like he was doing his thing he wasn't dragging it on or lost in it or anything...

Please do elaborate..

ANYONE?

You've got to have some real blinkers on to try and defend Jimmy's playing during those concerts.

Still, the point was that it massive that he was playing on stage again, let alone playing guitar. Its a miracle he was able to play at all in that condition.

14 hours ago, tom kid said:

You've got to have some real blinkers on to try and defend Jimmy's playing during those concerts.

Still, the point was that it massive that he was playing on stage again, let alone playing guitar. Its a miracle he was able to play at all in that condition.

For me It was a shock the first time I watched ARMS footage on MTV.. Especially after how strong the Death Wish 2 Soundtrack was.

I heard DW2 and thought to myself, everything is fine, he's back. ARMS was pretty sobering...his playing, his appearance.. and to see Beck up there just slaying,

To me, it was undeniable that Jimmy had a pretty big setback. 

• 2 years later...

Im bout to say 

SOMTHING CRAZY:

ive always felt the riff in Layla was a Page riff that clapton ran off to america with !

SOUNDS LIKE a pagey riff

ALL THE WAY !!& 

NOTHING like what clapton would come up with!!!!

AND IM AWARE Duane Allman gets the official credit for the riff, however  i need to ask if  it sounds like a riff Duane would create ?

im not that familiar with his composing ,ANYONE? 

Im sure eric & Duane knew they had somthing huge there & jimmy prob  had it on a tape of ideas & forgot about it.

& once one puts an idea down in a safe place like tape ,ones mind can be free to forget about it knowing he can come back to saved ideas later  & was lifted or  jimmy was tinkering , who knows

& look at the timeline ! It fits , eric “could have” just stowed it away after he heard jimmy tinkering a few yrs back when they were working together ,

Eric has always seemed to me

more than a lil funny when it came to jimmy.

AND A SURE FIRE POWER RIFF IS

“PRICELESS”  if utilized properly  , ideas get lifted all the time!

i cant remember what it was jimmy & eric were doing together , but they spent plenty enuf time together ive looked into it.

& i believe thats one of the  things Pagey  could be referring to when he speaks of his post hummus information to be released (many many yrs from now 🤞🏼)

👉🏼And i still feel STRONGLY that it sounds like a Page composition👈🏼

ok ....let me have it guys  lol

or maybe i start a new thread ?

Edited by z1inspector
Spelling & fact check

On 10/4/2015 at 7:56 PM, Disco Duck said:

It's really none of our business but, of course, this won't stop us from speculating about it.  Jeff Beck likes Page well enough to invite him to his wedding in 2005.  However, they haven't really worked together since Beck left the Yardbirds back in 1966.  My point is that I don't think we can judge Page's relationships with other musicians on whether or not they do gigs together.  Particularly since Page has only performed no more than half a dozen times during the past 15 years.  From what I've read Page is on friendly terms with Ronnie Wood, Joe Perry and Joe Walsh but he hasn't collaborated with any of them either as of late.  

Ah? Page loves Beck & vise versa i always thought !

after all Pagey wrote

” Becks (i dont know how its spelled ) borrilo”  for his Pal Jeff !

4 hours ago, z1inspector said:

Im bout to say 

SOMTHING CRAZY:

ive always felt the riff in Layla was a Page riff that clapton ran off to america with !

SOUNDS LIKE a pagey riff

ALL THE WAY !!& 

NOTHING like what clapton would come up with!!!!

AND IM AWARE Duane Allman gets the official credit for the riff, however  i need to ask if  it sounds like a riff Duane would create ?

im not that familiar with his composing ,ANYONE? 

Im sure eric & Duane knew they had somthing huge there & jimmy prob  had it on a tape of ideas & forgot about it.

& once one puts an idea down in a safe place like tape ,ones mind can be free to forget about it knowing he can come back to saved ideas later  & was lifted or  jimmy was tinkering , who knows

& look at the timeline ! It fits , eric “could have” just stowed it away after he heard jimmy tinkering a few yrs back when they were working together ,

Eric has always seemed to me

more than a lil funny when it came to jimmy.

AND A SURE FIRE POWER RIFF IS

“PRICELESS”  if utilized properly  , ideas get lifted all the time!

i cant remember what it was jimmy & eric were doing together , but they spent plenty enuf time together ive looked into it.

& i believe thats one of the  things Pagey  could be referring to when he speaks of his post hummus information to be released (many many yrs from now 🤞🏼)

👉🏼And i still feel STRONGLY that it sounds like a Page composition👈🏼

ok ....let me have it guys  lol

or maybe i start a new thread ?

Forgot to say ,

It DOES NOT SOUND like the ALBERT KING song sped up , i dont think they got the riff from that!!

OF COURSE RIFFS can be derived out of other songs  that sound nothing alike  i suppose or anything really

I believe Berry Gib once said they came up with Bee Gees song “tragedy” (? ) from the way the street or bridge sounded under their car wheels !

Gene Simmons one said “I love it loud” was derived from i forgot which “WHO” song , but i couldnt see how,

so anythings possible!

HEY its just SOMETHING i alway felt everytime i heard Layla !

i was like THAT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING JIMMY PAGE would come up with....

he was the only one playing

FIRE ONE BLAST OFF RIFFS like that!!

tell me it doesn't sound like a jimmy riff & id have to wonder about you !  

On 11/19/2015 at 6:48 AM, SteveAJones said:

Yes, he did, having signed an artist management deal with Trinifold in Autumn 1986. Bill Curbishley's immediate advice and council to Robert was embrace your Zeppelin roots--fast!

Steve could u explain what this Trinfold deal means &/or  why Planty should embrace  Zep fast?

these are why Plant started playing Zep samples or whatever again?

i really need to understand, PLEASE

On 8/16/2020 at 2:33 AM, z1inspector said:

Tell me about the show when Eric and Jeff came out to supposedly save Jimmy during that solo I didn't see anything wrong with the solo what was wrong with it???

I hear so many people say the same thing but it just seemed like he was doing his thing he wasn't dragging it on or lost in it or anything...

Please do elaborate..

ANYONE?

Not sayin their wasnt a difference in his playing , but was he sucha MESS in that solo that the other 2 thought

“OMG”

“We must GET OUT THERE & SAVE him !!!”

“WE must do SOMTHING”

it wasnt the FIRST arms STH i dont believe was it? I mean he wasnt MILES away from the ones he played on the other ARMS showes that

THEY felt they had to interfere ? 

I AM  HONISTLY asking did at that particular date 

DID Jimmy Page need to be SAVED? as sO many ive heard say over & over?

i  humbly thank you in advance for your insight &/or view !

ANYONE?

21 hours ago, z1inspector said:

Steve could u explain what this Trinfold deal means &/or  why Planty should embrace  Zep fast?

these are why Plant started playing Zep samples or whatever again?

i really need to understand, PLEASE

When Robert signed that management deal with Trinifold, Bill Curbishley became his manager. It was Curbishley who convinced Robert that if he wanted to maintain a viable solo career, Robert must begin to perform Led Zeppelin material on tour. Some Led Zeppelin samples were also included on the next album. Robert's previous album, Shaken 'n' Stirred, had been a commercial failure that ultimately led to the dismissal of all of his bandmates in October 1986.

Edited by SteveAJones

20 hours ago, z1inspector said:

Not sayin their wasnt a difference in his playing , but was he sucha MESS in that solo that the other 2 thought

“OMG”

“We must GET OUT THERE & SAVE him !!!”

“WE must do SOMTHING”

it wasnt the FIRST arms STH i dont believe was it? I mean he wasnt MILES away from the ones he played on the other ARMS showes that

THEY felt they had to interfere ? 

I AM  HONISTLY asking did at that particular date 

DID Jimmy Page need to be SAVED? as sO many ive heard say over & over?

i  humbly thank you in advance for your insight &/or view !

ANYONE?

To my ears, none of the Stairway to Heaven solos from the UK & US ARMS tours sound as if Page needed to be rescued onstage. If I recall correctly, he was particularly nervous about the first show in NYC and the others made sure to support him onstage. 

On 12/27/2022 at 6:35 AM, z1inspector said:

Forgot to say ,

It DOES NOT SOUND like the ALBERT KING song sped up , i dont think they got the riff from that!!

OF COURSE RIFFS can be derived out of other songs  that sound nothing alike  i suppose or anything really

I believe Berry Gib once said they came up with Bee Gees song “tragedy” (? ) from the way the street or bridge sounded under their car wheels !

Gene Simmons one said “I love it loud” was derived from i forgot which “WHO” song , but i couldnt see how,

so anythings possible!

HEY its just SOMETHING i alway felt everytime i heard Layla !

i was like THAT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING JIMMY PAGE would come up with....

he was the only one playing

FIRE ONE BLAST OFF RIFFS like that!!

tell me it doesn't sound like a jimmy riff & id have to wonder about you !  

The origin, writing and recording of Layla is well established and doesn't involve Jimmy Page.

Layla - Wikipedia

11 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

To my ears, none of the Stairway to Heaven solos from the UK & US ARMS tours sound as if Page needed to be rescued onstage. If I recall correctly, he was particularly nervous about the first show in NYC and the others made sure to support him onstage. 

THATs why they surprised him  by comming out then , i see...... so that musta been the NY show.

yes i thought he was  just doing his thing quite nicely!  Thanks sO much steve !

u validate me, i was wondering what some others were even thinking. I didnt hear him lost! 

Shame on them !

11 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

When Robert signed that management deal with Trinifold, Bill Curbishley became his manager. It was Curbishley who convinced Robert that if he wanted to maintain a viable solo career, Robert must begin to perform Led Zeppelin material on tour. Some Led Zeppelin samples were also included on the next album. Robert's previous album, Shaken 'n' Stirred, had been a commercial failure that ultimately led to the dismissal of all of his bandmates in October 1986.

I see.... & it was fine by then in my opinion!

it was a classy  gutzy thing to  start his solo career that way .

Man it was sO fun to be around when he jumped back into doin it!,  and we loved his solo stuff  before then sO much too!

As ive said & you have also  :

their should be alot more banter about how innovative & fresh his early  solor  

Music was!!!

wish we could politly give mainstreem or whoever a lil elbo to think about it.

i WOULD love 💕 for him to be validated 

while he is still with us !

He would be pleased! 

And Deserves it!

would change alota peoples mind about  the RnR hall of fame !  As if they are becoming more  credible with a move like that!

15 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The origin, writing and recording of Layla is well established and doesn't involve Jimmy Page.

Layla - Wikipedia

Well Steve .... one sad day a long time  from now hopefully , his posthumous wishes will be released .

We shall resume this conversation at that  time.

however👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼

i read whats “said” about its origins & im  👉🏼thinking when👈🏼

(stay with me Steve , im aware this is a dead issue with you)

Pagey FIRST heard claptons Layla

👉🏼 is erics real name Deric ?  If no then why not use his own name(this is just trivial as wouldnt  be long who derric really was.

👉🏼HOWEVER  any less of a hit song  &  many people would have been put off the trail with just that different name & never questioned further.

He  LIKELY  recognized  his own signature style in it   Or even  its HIS RIFF! realizing he had been had &

👉🏼let it go for now. As Zep was on Top of the world at the time

👉🏼, who knows how much later he first heard it , why make a fuss sO late!

if someone was to take a pole NOW putting all known facts aside due to their being a controversy and were asked to NAME who could be a candidate for the true composer of the riff ?

i know even if “everyones” first pick were  👉🏼 Jimmy Page  👈🏼

doent mean its true,!

Perhaps  im just  trying like hell to defend my immediate  feelings  as when  i was just in highschool learning of hard Rock & gutiar players & power riffs  &  i think most all of us may have noticed

👉🏼(perhaps you may have as well Steve)

👉🏼that mainly  one Man was firing  off sO many  different  FIRE ONE  BLASTS  mostly   was Jimmy with his band (even JPJ created some of Zeps most amazing riffs  but u could still tell wich ones were generated by who) 

👉🏼 Laylas riff  just sounds like its  comming  from where Jimmy shoots from!  do u agree somwhat at least?

👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼

then when u learn

👉🏼clapton was around  Pagey prior to layla

👉🏼& eventually  pops up as far away as possible puts out an album with a different Name

refering to him  & the dominos 

👉🏼they make a point of its not even erics creation  its the another amazing  guitar player they must have thought they needed as if  ERIC CLAPTON wouldnt be  enuf for any band

(possibly guilt or saving face later)

👉🏼since Jimmy spoke of a controversial issue of substantial  weight !

that he WILL only state

👉🏼 posthumously 👈🏼.😳!

👉🏼(Which would surly scare the HELL out of eric if he did lift the riff wouldnt you say?)

So as time went on i read 

👉🏼“more than one time” clapton saying   Very odd  things  about layla like

👉🏼“it doesnt feel like its his music”  when he hears it “ or something to that  effect !

As eric gets older he even

👉🏼almost   appoligeticly says he realizes now  that he wrote some song  on Oceans that has the same notes or ?  Song structure ? or ?

as Stairway !

so its not so  outrageous! 

Music has been inspired , stolen ,lifted 

more Xs than ...what was it for awhile 🤔

“Than a toyota corolla”!  

We resume  this convo one day  many many moons from now

👉🏼 if u rather👈🏼 as disscussed earlier in the mesg.

4 hours ago, z1inspector said:

Well Steve .... one sad day a long time  from now hopefully , his posthumous wishes will be released .

We shall resume this conversation at that  time.

however👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼

i read whats “said” about its origins & im  👉🏼thinking when👈🏼

(stay with me Steve , im aware this is a dead issue with you)

Pagey FIRST heard claptons Layla

👉🏼 is erics real name Deric ?  If no then why not use his own name(this is just trivial as wouldnt  be long who derric really was.

👉🏼HOWEVER  any less of a hit song  &  many people would have been put off the trail with just that different name & never questioned further.

He  LIKELY  recognized  his own signature style in it   Or even  its HIS RIFF! realizing he had been had &

👉🏼let it go for now. As Zep was on Top of the world at the time

👉🏼, who knows how much later he first heard it , why make a fuss sO late!

if someone was to take a pole NOW putting all known facts aside due to their being a controversy and were asked to NAME who could be a candidate for the true composer of the riff ?

i know even if “everyones” first pick were  👉🏼 Jimmy Page  👈🏼

doent mean its true,!

Perhaps  im just  trying like hell to defend my immediate  feelings  as when  i was just in highschool learning of hard Rock & gutiar players & power riffs  &  i think most all of us may have noticed

👉🏼(perhaps you may have as well Steve)

👉🏼that mainly  one Man was firing  off sO many  different  FIRE ONE  BLASTS  mostly   was Jimmy with his band (even JPJ created some of Zeps most amazing riffs  but u could still tell wich ones were generated by who) 

👉🏼 Laylas riff  just sounds like its  comming  from where Jimmy shoots from!  do u agree somwhat at least?

👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼

then when u learn

👉🏼clapton was around  Pagey prior to layla

👉🏼& eventually  pops up as far away as possible puts out an album with a different Name

refering to him  & the dominos 

👉🏼they make a point of its not even erics creation  its the another amazing  guitar player they must have thought they needed as if  ERIC CLAPTON wouldnt be  enuf for any band

(possibly guilt or saving face later)

👉🏼since Jimmy spoke of a controversial issue of substantial  weight !

that he WILL only state

👉🏼 posthumously 👈🏼.😳!

👉🏼(Which would surly scare the HELL out of eric if he did lift the riff wouldnt you say?)

So as time went on i read 

👉🏼“more than one time” clapton saying   Very odd  things  about layla like

👉🏼“it doesnt feel like its his music”  when he hears it “ or something to that  effect !

As eric gets older he even

👉🏼almost   appoligeticly says he realizes now  that he wrote some song  on Oceans that has the same notes or ?  Song structure ? or ?

as Stairway !

so its not so  outrageous! 

Music has been inspired , stolen ,lifted 

more Xs than ...what was it for awhile 🤔

“Than a toyota corolla”!  

We resume  this convo one day  many many moons from now

👉🏼 if u rather👈🏼 as disscussed earlier in the mesg.

There's a lot to unpack here. Suffice to say I wouldn't really be interested in a poll that sets aside all known facts, because the outcome would be entirely subjective as opposed to objective.

Clapton chose "Derek and the Dominos: because he did not want his name and fame to get in the way of maintaining a "band" image. It's as simple as that.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

There's a lot to unpack here. Suffice to say I wouldn't really be interested in a poll that sets aside all known facts, because the outcome would be entirely subjective as opposed to objective.

Clapton chose "Derek and the Dominos: because he did not want his name and fame to get in the way of maintaining a "band" image. It's as simple as that.

Bingo!  Also, Eric wanted a type of Sergeant Peppers alternative  (fictional) name; even if it contained his name with a variation of the D from Duane together, so you get “Derek & The Dominos” 

R😎

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Clapton chose "Derek and the Dominos: because he did not want his ame and fame to get in the way of maintaining a "band" image. It's as simple as that.

It will be interesting to learn what it is he will state that he wishes to clarify .

And him not to have to deal with !

btw very kindly worded , & i understand your view.  But please do unpackage & skim through , however u prob know even more tidbits .

Anyway  thats MY GUESS  on what hes  been holding out about

Eitherway its somthing big!

13 hours ago, z1inspector said:

You don't need a poll. 

Clapton is already on the record  saying he didn't write the riff for Layla.

According to him the riff came from Duane Allman. Clapton had written the song as a ballad, but Allman's signature riff transformed the song into a rocker.

Aside from that, from my point of view the riff does quite a few definitely non-Page things, in terms of rhythm, use of tonality and general attitude. 

Edited by woz70

I see , thanks  & i liked your last paragraph the most  & its understandable since it wasnt jimmy who actually played it.  & it is very well done , NO DOUBT ,

i LOVE  the riff

And to be clear , im SURE they put ALOT OF TIME  & WORK into what they came up with 

Back to your last paragraph , i liked or have no prob with it

EXCEPT

for the general attitude part .

👉🏼the general attitude IS where i see page! if clapton or anyone else heard pagey tinkering , & made a point to remember what he herd

👉🏼would be 1 kinda how it went

AND 2 MAINLY the “general attitude.”

thats all that prob could be lifted if one was just trying to make a mental note for the moment untill one could break away & find a  better way to store it.

& Thats what i believe likely happened. 

Jimmys would have been different in his own way & it WOULDNT been aiming for a love song  as they say theirs wasnt either,  but plant could have turned it into somthing bigger (and somehow STILL  put the word “LOVE “ in there haha hahaha only he could get away with it sounding like it fits)

. But i dont know how u could top likey the biggest love song ON EARTH!  Lol rite? Its truely amazing the way it is.  But ZEP would have Zeppified it like only Zep can.

Anyway ....still im sure they had a hard time getting that attitude to transfer  

however  IT SURE came across well!

ALOT of attitude!

& i dont feel that Very attitude was in them naturally .

However THATS Pageys attitude 

ALL THE WAY , why i feel its a Jimmy Page “type” composition overall

👉🏼 maybe is a better way for me to have made my initial accusation.👈🏼

thnx for helping me express what i really ment.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 8:14 AM, z1inspector said:

I see , thanks  & i liked your last paragraph the most  & its understandable since it wasnt jimmy who actually played it.  & it is very well done , NO DOUBT ,

i LOVE  the riff

And to be clear , im SURE they put ALOT OF TIME  & WORK into what they came up with 

Back to your last paragraph , i liked or have no prob with it

EXCEPT

for the general attitude part .

👉🏼the general attitude IS where i see page! if clapton or anyone else heard pagey tinkering , & made a point to remember what he herd

👉🏼would be 1 kinda how it went

AND 2 MAINLY the “general attitude.”

thats all that prob could be lifted if one was just trying to make a mental note for the moment untill one could break away & find a  better way to store it.

& Thats what i believe likely happened. 

Jimmys would have been different in his own way & it WOULDNT been aiming for a love song  as they say theirs wasnt either,  but plant could have turned it into somthing bigger (and somehow STILL  put the word “LOVE “ in there haha hahaha only he could get away with it sounding like it fits)

. But i dont know how u could top likey the biggest love song ON EARTH!  Lol rite? Its truely amazing the way it is.  But ZEP would have Zeppified it like only Zep can.

Anyway ....still im sure they had a hard time getting that attitude to transfer  

however  IT SURE came across well!

ALOT of attitude!

& i dont feel that Very attitude was in them naturally .

However THATS Pageys attitude 

ALL THE WAY , why i feel its a Jimmy Page “type” composition overall

👉🏼 maybe is a better way for me to have made my initial accusation.👈🏼

thnx for helping me express what i really ment.

I can appreciate your thoughts/opinions. Duane, Eric, Jeff, Jimmy, and Jimi are all absolutely out of this world amazing guitarist. Who we like all comes down to personal preference really. I have always felt that Jimmy and Zeppelin have always taken way to much shit in terms of what was supposedly lifted/borrowed. You can listen to several songs that Jeff was inspired from, and made into his own. Which Mr. Beck was a 1 of a kind amazing, gifted, hardworking, brilliant guitarist. Eric, also was inspired by many of the older/Blues generation and borrowed and created from there. Same for Jimi and Duane. 

I have a couple of things to say, Jimmy does not get nearly the credit he should be given in a few areas. Certainly as a producer, writer, and the over all sound and imagery that he wanted to and did convey with his band. As a result of creating these huge part atmospheres in the middle and late 1970’s and maybe being the highest guy in the room and building Jimmy had a few off nights. I have listened to as many bootleg recordings and officially live releases of Jeff and Eric, and Jimi as I believe are available, and I think something that doesn’t get talked about is how much Jimmy tried to stretch, and how far out he went to create something. I can’t think of anyone other guitarist or musician who was on the edge, pushing, and trying to innovate on a nightly basis as Mr. Page. 

I have read on other forums, people opinions of him in his later years with Zeppelin and his sticky fingers, or whatever it is. There is not another guitarist who tried what he was trying, no one wrote and created the absolute killers that Pagey created. His list is monumental. Certainly Eric, Hendrix, Duane, and Beck created some absolute masterpieces. Jimmy was doing it on the riff, the solo, the rhythm, and was all by himself on stage trying to complete his guitar army as a one man show.He did not have a rhythm/ back up guitarist. He did happen to have maybe the greatest musician in all of music in JPJ. That was a real bonus to say the least. Let’s not forget that at the Arms concerts others were playing their hits, Jimmy was playing Chopin. He was constantly pushing the envelope, constantly challenging himself. If we just look at those concerts alone they are incredible. When he was jamming with Eric, and Jeff on their songs, specifically Eric, he was absolutely crushing those riffs, and when it was his turn to solo, from my perspective he destroys and sounds different/very different than the others that he was playing with. I do have to admit that his style, his vulnerability, his ability and music touches me more than those others.

If we are simply going off of what his body of work is compared to all of the others, I would argue that it isn’t even close. And that is not to take away from anyone else. I have lots of live Hendrix, Clapton, and have some early 70’s to mid 70’s Beck. They would all have nights that were less than stellar. 

My thoughts are that Jimmy was creating and developing as a studio, and live guitarist in the 60’s through the late 70’s that was simply beyond his contemporaries. Others can feel differently. That’s okay. I would say let’s look at all the monsters that Page created and stack them up commercially, and see where they all land. People can say Hendrix was the best, and I’m totally okay with it. He was out of this world. Beck perhaps had gotten better with practice and age. And he was amazing and such a loss. I would also say that Jimmy from 96-2001 was on fire, and in my opinion while he may have lost some speed, his imagination, his creativity, confidence and an was staggering/blistering. I’m sad that it ended with he and Plant when it did. It’s one of those what could have been. 

Lastly, Jimmy as a riff master, writer, arranger, producer, studio, and live musician was and is easily summed up by the people he played with, his fans, and honestly his achievements/accomplishments/

accolades. In my opinion he is the most celebrated, and imitated guitarist on the planet. His electric work, his acoustic acumen is just beyond reproach. 

These are just a fan, maybe a struggling guitarist opinion. But I would turn Jimmy onto anyone that was looking to find out who and what a guitar is supposed to sound like, and be played live. His brilliant live moments in my humble meaningless opinion, as well as his stunning studio work is beyond comparison. However, I can see people saying the same thing about Hendrix. 

I know I said lastly, but Santana has a great quote about Hendrix, and what Jimmy did to the electric guitar after he took over. I encourage others to find it. It’s amazing. You couldn’t have been a studio musician in those days unless you were balls on. You had to produce then and there. Also, other than 94-96 Jimmy was all by himself and did not have someone to lean on and have to help fill space. It was just Page. Hendrix was alone as well, however, he passed way to soon and his body of work is just not as big. Our beloved James Patrick Page was crushing out on the tiles, while others were trampled underfoot. I know that last part is corny. 

Edited by Plant77

I would also suggest that people read and google “ why does no one talk about who Clapton stole from”. You will be able to read many blues musicians who are far less than kind and have many opinions on the subject. Again, I love Eric. He has some cool music. It is not necessarily my taste, I would never diminish or disrespect his achievements and all that he has created. I am simply bringing that up because it is easy and has been easy to say that Zeppelin lifted music. I believe some people missed the point. I believe that Jimmy particularly like to pay respect, and would take a very small sample to say thank you, and then create something completely original and something that had nothing to do with who and what he was paying homage too. Just my thoughts.