Songs With Slide Guitar

Charles J. White

Not sure if it's Marsden or Moody, but this is real gutbucket stuff, with plenty of real nuance. Marsden, while

no Page overall, was very underrated. And Coverdale sounds amazing here, making it clear that had he 

made better choices, It's entirely possible he might have legendary status, instead of the uncomfortably

compromised status he has now. As far as current amazing slide players, check out Derek Trucks, who

has/had his own band and played for the Allmans'. He does the Duane stuff, but also his own brilliant

lines.IMO Page only occasionally was a masterful slide player, the best I ever heard were the 75' live

IMTOD. Part of it actually was that Page used very thin strings with low action, very difficult to get a 

good sound like that.

Not sure if it's Marsden or Moody, but this is real gutbucket stuff, with plenty of real nuance. Marsden, while

no Page overall, was very underrated. And Coverdale sounds amazing here, making it clear that had he 

made better choices, It's entirely possible he might have legendary status, instead of the uncomfortably

compromised status he has now. As far as current amazing slide players, check out Derek Trucks, who

has/had his own band and played for the Allmans'. He does the Duane stuff, but also his own brilliant

lines.IMO Page only occasionally was a masterful slide player, the best I ever heard were the 75' live

IMTOD. Part of it actually was that Page used very thin strings with low action, very difficult to get a 

good sound like that.

IMO, David Coverdale is a good example of why many singers do their best work within a band of equals. When the other dudes or gals have a say in what the band performs and records, it acts as a check on the lead singer's lapses in musical judgement.  The original version of Whitesnake was a band but after John Kalodner convinced Coverdale he should sack everyone and start over, Whitesnake became his backing band and he alone called the shots.

I would listen to this band's music all of the time, I would bring it with me everywhere I went, and for some reason the singer/guitar player decided he would rather focus most of his attention on the bottle and pot which is a shame, because he can be a music visionary when he chooses to

Archived