Help: ID this picture of JPJ

Hackenbush

It would help if there was a wider frame to the photo. The photo is so tight you cannot see what Bonham is wearing or see possible architectural details of the venue that might help determine the "where".

It is definitely from the second-leg of the 1977 U.S. tour, as that is when John Paul Jones started using his Andy Manson-built triple-neck acoustic. I am ruling out the third-leg dates because the Oakland ones were in daylight outdoors, and it isn't Seattle because Jones has bangs in that show, which leads me to conclude he had bangs for the other third-leg shows, obviously cutting his hair during the break between the second and third legs. Which would rule out Tempe, AZ, too.

It basically comes down to narrowing the dates to which concerts on the second-leg did JPJ wear the all-white outfit...which, to my memory, seemed to be often.

As to your last question, this was the only triple-neck instrument JPJ used in Led Zeppelin. It was used for "Ten Years Gone" and the acoustic set, which always followed "TYG" on the 1977 tour. JPJ used the 6- and 12-string necks for "TYG", the 6-string neck for "Battle of Evermore", and the top mandolin neck for "Going to California". That was that...for "Black Country Woman"/"Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp" he moved to the upright bass.

In 1979, for the Copenhagen warmups and Knebworth, he only used the triple-neck for "Ten Years Gone". By the 1980 tour, it was banished.

Hi,

Just came across this pic of JPJ.  Can anyone tell me the venue and photographer?  Also out of curiosity, how many triple neck setups did JPJ use?

jpj21.JPG

I don't know but this is a great photo of the man in action.  He's sitting down so it was probably during a concert's acoustic section.

I don't know but this is a great photo of the man in action.  He's sitting down so it was probably during a concert's acoustic section.

I'm guessing it's actually ten years gone, because if it was battle of evermore he'd have a vocal mic as well. I could be wrong...

I'm guessing it's actually ten years gone, because if it was battle of evermore he'd have a vocal mic as well. I could be wrong...

I thought I had made it quite clear that it is JPJ playing "Ten Years Gone" from either a May or June 1977 performance.

Archived