WARREN DEMARTINI COOLER SOLOS THAN EDDIE VAN HALEN

DEMARTINI ROCKS

I know I'm really going to stir some nasty shit with this thread so here goes.

Let me first say that in no way am I suggesting that Warren DeMartini is a better guitarist than Eddie Van Halen. Heck he was honing his craft by dong EVH imitations before hitting it with Ratt.

Years ago a friend of mine was an aspiring guitarist. He went to GIT over at L.A. for a couple of years. Years ago out of the blue he asked me, "name a cool EVH solo other than Eruption or Spanish Fly?" My response was "Aint Talkin' Bout Love." He then says, "Why does everyone say that." I said, "'Cause it's the most memorable and melodic."

Going through the Van Halen catalog here are the other cool solos from EVH, although I couldn't really come up with a lot of them:

YOU'RE NO GOOD

DIRTY MOVIES

D.O.A.

AND THE CRADLE WILL ROCK

THERE'S ONLY ONE WAY TO ROCK

Warren D imho has more cool solos than EVH. To name a bunch:

WANTED MAN

YOU'RE IN TROUBLE

ROUND AND ROUND

BACK FOR MORE

SCENE OF THE CRIME

LAY IT DOWN

SLIP OF THE LIP

CAN'T WAIT ON LOVE

HEADS I WIN TAILS YOU LOSE

NOBODY RIDES FOR FREE

GIVE IT ALL

WALKIN' THE DOG

To me a lot of EVH'S solos sort of sound the same after a while. If anything I admire his rhythm playing a lot more than his leads. His rhythm playing if anything is waaaaaaay underrrated.

Of course the master of tasty memorable lead solos is none other than the master, the inspiration for this website, an all-time fave to 90%plus of us who check this site regularly, -JAMES PATRICK PAGE!!!

Go ahead let me have it-may the bashing begin.

takes a deep breath...

LIGHT UP THE SKY

GIRL GONE BAD

HEAR ABOUT IT LATER

FEEL YOUR LOVE TONIGHT

OUTTA LOVE AGAIN

SOMEBODY GET ME A DOCTOR

CATHEDRAL

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME

FOOLS

MEAN STREETS

UNCHAINED

ICE CREAM MAN

SO THIS IS LOVE?

ROMEO DELIGHT 

TAKE YOUR WHISKEY HOME

HOT FOR TEACHER

My work is done...all are cooler solos, cooler songs, cooler guitarist, cooler band than Ratt.

I mean, really...Ratt? I saw those bozos...they couldn't play their way out of a paper bag. One of the worst bands live I have ever seen.

Who the fuck is Warren Demartini............ (I know, Google it)

I think he's the guy who started this thread. ;) It's hard times for loser hair-metal bands these days...publicity or attention is hard to come by.

I think he's the guy who started this thread. ;) It's hard times for loser hair-metal bands these days...publicity or attention is hard to come by.

That figures, I didn't bother to Google  it, I care not a lot. Cheers Strider.

I know I'm really going to stir some nasty shit with this thread so here goes.

Let me first say that in no way am I suggesting that Warren DeMartini is a better guitarist than Eddie Van Halen. Heck he was honing his craft by dong EVH imitations before hitting it with Ratt.

Years ago a friend of mine was an aspiring guitarist. He went to GIT over at L.A. for a couple of years. Years ago out of the blue he asked me, "name a cool EVH solo other than Eruption or Spanish Fly?" My response was "Aint Talkin' Bout Love." He then says, "Why does everyone say that." I said, "'Cause it's the most memorable and melodic."

Going through the Van Halen catalog here are the other cool solos from EVH, although I couldn't really come up with a lot of them:

YOU'RE NO GOOD

DIRTY MOVIES

D.O.A.

AND THE CRADLE WILL ROCK

THERE'S ONLY ONE WAY TO ROCK

Warren D imho has more cool solos than EVH. To name a bunch:

WANTED MAN

YOU'RE IN TROUBLE

ROUND AND ROUND

BACK FOR MORE

SCENE OF THE CRIME

LAY IT DOWN

SLIP OF THE LIP

CAN'T WAIT ON LOVE

HEADS I WIN TAILS YOU LOSE

NOBODY RIDES FOR FREE

GIVE IT ALL

WALKIN' THE DOG

To me a lot of EVH'S solos sort of sound the same after a while. If anything I admire his rhythm playing a lot more than his leads. His rhythm playing if anything is waaaaaaay underrrated.

Of course the master of tasty memorable lead solos is none other than the master, the inspiration for this website, an all-time fave to 90%plus of us who check this site regularly, -JAMES PATRICK PAGE!!!

Go ahead let me have it-may the bashing begin.

Let em say what they will....I happen to like Ratt  -  A Lot.

Music is subjective, just as Led Zeppelin might not appeal to some.

I despised hair metal in the 80's but Ratt stood out to me as being better than the rest of those type of bands. Better than Motley Crue, Poison, Warrent, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Whitesnake and the whole list.

They had such a sound that I like to call Sleeze metal because most of the tunes were about sex, women, etc and they all had that killer sleezy riff that carried the song.

For that genre there is none better.

I saw them in New Orleans a few years back and it was a tight show. I enjoyed it.

And DiMartini is a hell of a player. He wasn't just flash. There were melody and feel in his solos. He's also on the upcoming Jeff Beck tribute album, so the guy can play a little;)

• 3 years later...

Archived