18 hours ago, Walter said:

Resting on their 27 World Championships, that's where they are!  When are the O's actually gonna do something - other than sniff the playoffs and never even get out of the AL? :hysterical: 

Btw, Strider brought me into the other sports commentary in this thread.  Not that there's anything more to say about the NBA - except get historical dates wrong! ;) 

Keep laughing.  Your team is a joke.  They are going to finish 4th.  

Just now, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Keep laughing.  Your team is a joke.  They are going to finish 4th.  

Your team has been a joke for over 3 decades.  They will fall and the Yanks will rise - again! :) 

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Your team has been a joke for over 3 decades.  They will fall and the Yanks will rise - again! :) 

You honestly believe you an catch us?  I have seen the schedule.  The Yankees have played the easy part of theirs.  After Minnesota which is another gift, you have Texas coming in.   They are going to eat you alive. And it is very tough later on.  Wait until you have to play the Dodgers and Giants.  I think you do.  I am assuming because you are in our division.   You have no chance to catch the Orioles or Red Sox.  Girardi is doing miracles just winning the game he has.  It took a miracle comeback to salvage one win vs Colorado that took the rest of the series home and away.  Why don't you wake up and face the music.  Cheer for the Home Boys or the NBA team  you like, whoever that ma be.

On 6/23/2016 at 2:27 PM, Walter said:

Resting on their 27 World Championships, that's where they are!  When are the O's actually gonna do something - other than sniff the playoffs and never even get out of the AL? :hysterical: 

Btw, Strider brought me into the other sports commentary in this thread.  Not that there's anything more to say about the NBA - except get historical dates wrong! ;) 

Ouch.

On 6/23/2016 at 6:13 PM, in_the_evening said:

Wow, LZFan77...now I need to go look up the team that won 33 straight games!!!   I mean, WTF, has anyone come close since??  Talk about an accomplishment.

I come hear to learn LZ, and I learn a whole lot more!!

Thanks for the great thread.  Game 7 was nice, that whole 3 or 4 minute stretch, back and forth, where no one could score...that was nerve wracking!!  Congrats to Cleveland and their fans.

Just don't look under the year 1970. ;)

I guess if you are under 50 it's easy to not know about the 1971-72 Lakers...this was before ESPN and national live coverage for all NBA games. There is a tendency for ESPN and its ilk to think that if there is no videotape then it didn't exist.

The 1971-72 Lakers were the dying embers of the Jerry West-Elgin Baylor-Wilt Chamberlain era. The thought of a record-setting season and a championship wasn't exactly on anyone's mind when the season began.

The Lakers had lost to the Celtics time and time again in the 1960s. Then with the Celtics out in 1970, the Lakers fell to the Willis Reed-inspired New York Knickerbockers. The Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Oscar Robertson-led Milwaukee Bucks crushed the Lakers in 1971. With the Lakers Big Three of West, Baylor, and Wilt all dealing with age abd injuries, all eyes were on the Bucks as the new potential dynasty as the 1971-72 season began. 

It is somewhat bittersweet then, that after a fair but nothing special start to the season, the Laker juggernaut did not get rolling until Elgin Baylor retired after the last game in October 1971. Replaced by Jim McMillian in the lineup at forward, the Lakers then reeled off 33 wins in a row to set a record that still stands. 

Other key players on that Laker team were guards Gail Goodrich and Keith Erickson, and big guys Happy Hairston and Jim Cleamons (who would go on to be Phil Jackson's right-hand man). Another Laker on that team who would go on to be a stellar coach was Pat Riley.

The battle for the top seed in the West that year was between the surprising Lakers and the defending champion Bucks. The Lakers finished #1 at 69-13, beating the 1968 Philadelphia 76ers record of 68-14...a team Wilt Chamberlain was on. The Lakers season record stood until the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls went 72-10. I can't remember what Milwaukee's record was at the end but it was over 60 games and very close to the Lakers most of the season.

The Lakers kept up their play throughout the playoffs, beating the Bucks 4-2 to take the West, and the Knicks 4 games to 1 in the NBA Finals in May 1972...a month before Led Zeppelin played the Forum (the Lakers home court) in June 25, 1972.

Alas, a weakened Laker team would not be able to defend their title in 1973...losing for the second time in three NBA Finals to the New York Knicks.

And that was pretty much the end to the Jerry West-Wilt Chamberlain-era of the Lakers.

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

OMG do you think I am really goinig to read a monologue about basketball in freakin late June?  Where did you get the Red Tip or Thai Sticks Sean?

I was responding to in_the_evening's post. What is the problem?

7 hours ago, Strider said:

I was responding to in_the_evening's post. What is the problem?

No problem.  Its just that except for the NFL, the other 3 major sports here in the USA have seasons that are far too long.  At least they should not be playing when they are.  Baseball in the freezing cold of November, of course depending on who gets in.  Cleveland will get back to the dance one of these days in baseball and that will be no fun for anyone playing or attending a baseball game at that time of year.  Hockey in June is crazy also.  I think the NBA should start a month sooner.

• 3 weeks later...
On July 11, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Strider said:

Goodbye Kobe. Now it's goodbye Big Fundamental. Tim Duncan was the very antithesis to Kobe.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/tim-duncan-announces-retirement

And hello Golden St to take back the title.  Why even play the games?  I watch Aerial America alot.  So I watch the specials on N and S California as I am going there.  They talked about the Stales Center and the Lakers succes, and they mention Kareem and Magic and never mentioned Jerry West or Wilt?  Are you kidding me?  That is just crazy.  

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

Greg Odin did the same thing and we all saw how his career turned out. Currently residing in the "Where are they now?" file.

Archived