Jeff Buckley

Mudbugclub

17th Nov 1966, Born on this day, Jeff Buckley, US singer songwriter, (1995 album 'Grace'). His singer songwriter father Tim Buckley, died on 29th June 1975 of a heroin and morphine overdose. Jeff Buckley drowned on 29th May 1997 in Wolf River Harbor on the Mississippi River - during a spontaneous evening swim - wearing boots and all of his clothing. He waded into the water fully clothed, singing the chorus of "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin. More on Jeff Buckley here: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/jeff_buckley

17th Nov 1966, Born on this day, Jeff Buckley, US singer songwriter, (1995 album 'Grace'). His singer songwriter father Tim Buckley, died on 29th June 1975 of a heroin and morphine overdose. Jeff Buckley drowned on 29th May 1997 in Wolf River Harbor on the Mississippi River - during a spontaneous evening swim - wearing boots and all of his clothing. He waded into the water fully clothed, singing the chorus of "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin. More on Jeff Buckley here: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/jeff_buckley

Call me wacky but I always thought there was something fishy about his death. Either that or it was never disclosed to the public that this huge talent, just getting started also suffered from serious psychological issues. After all, a person would have to have serious mental issues to swim, fully clothed, with boots on, at night, in a fast current river. Unless of course there is something more to the story.

Such a shame, such a loss. Buckley was an amazing talent, I love his music and he was gifted as not only a brilliant songwriter / guitarist but with the voice of an angel. Just imagine what could have been, especially since it was rumored that Page was going to collaborate with him on his new album.

Yeah, the death is so very strange. But some of his singing had a tragic, haunting quality, though he had

a huge stylistic range. Page was no doubt impressed by his enormous talent AND ability to assimilate

Zep influences without really copying them. I personally was struck by his ability to play and integrate

so many styles of music and floor people with his amazing vocals, a point certainly taken by Page,

waiting in the wings. What some fans must keep in mind is that Page was NEVER known as a dictator,

and would surely let Buckley's light shine thru and not tie things up in knots insisting a riff go this or

that way. Shame a collaboration never happend, Jimmy's all about the song.

Archived