The Led Zeppelin Book List

thozil

19 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

If you're reading this, you need "Evenings With Led Zeppelin" by Mike Tremaglio and Dave Lewis. It's a stellar examination of each show the band played. It's like "The Concert File" on steroids. As a disclaimer, I've been friends with Mike for twenty years, but I'd still rave about it even if I didn't know him. It's a must have for everyone who loves Led Zeppelin.

51Wk4R2hDcL._SX385_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It would be worth it just for the part regarding Chicago 9th and Tempe 77' & Vancouver ? 72'...the gig Plant was supposedly given some acid before the show.

Im telling you this is the heaviest book I have ever picked up.  The Fed Ex guy put it on the porch and my neighbor brought it to me.  I thought it was explosives. 

Hey dude, are you still out there somewhere?  The guy with the Jilipy from Utica NY that you were parked in Landover MD at the May 30 1977 concert?  If so let us know.  You are on the video in the time line, and I am sure that old Jilopy is in auto heaven.  Likely taken to the junk yard not long after the concert.  Its a miracle it got you there.  I mean, it must have been backfiring all the way?  In those days you had to gap the spark plugs and change the damn wires often.  

Earth to Utica!!!!  PS, if you watched Escape from Dannemora, Joyce Mitchell was wearing a Utica shirt in there.  LOL.  You know, the blond whore that busted Matt and Sweat out of prison.

Back to the book.  GO BUY IT IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE SO YET!!!!  A MUST HAVE FOR ALL LED ZEPPELIN DIE HARD FANS LIKE MYSELF

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:05 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Im telling you this is the heaviest book I have ever picked up.  The Fed Ex guy put it on the porch and my neighbor brought it to me.  I thought it was explosives. 

Hey dude, are you still out there somewhere?  The guy with the Jilipy from Utica NY that you were parked in Landover MD at the May 30 1977 concert?  If so let us know.  You are on the video in the time line, and I am sure that old Jilopy is in auto heaven.  Likely taken to the junk yard not long after the concert.  Its a miracle it got you there.  I mean, it must have been backfiring all the way?  In those days you had to gap the spark plugs and change the damn wires often.  

Earth to Utica!!!!  PS, if you watched Escape from Dannemora, Joyce Mitchell was wearing a Utica shirt in there.  LOL.  You know, the blond whore that busted Matt and Sweat out of prison.

Back to the book.  GO BUY IT IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE SO YET!!!!  A MUST HAVE FOR ALL LED ZEPPELIN DIE HARD FANS LIKE MYSELF

Just curious,  I got the book for Christmas and my wife picked it up from B&N.  

(It's very nice and sits on the coffee table)

It came Unwrapped without the poster like it was plucked off the shelf ( it wasn't - it was a special order).

How did yours arrive?

Thanks

5 hours ago, KEVIN said:

Just curious,  I got the book for Christmas and my wife picked it up from B&N.  

(It's very nice and sits on the coffee table)

It came Unwrapped without the poster like it was plucked off the shelf ( it wasn't - it was a special order).

How did yours arrive?

Thanks

Fed EX/  I cant remember but I think it was wrapped in plastic.   But I might be wrong.  I am a bit foggy on the exact packaging

• 1 year later...

I've been reading Jimmy Page: the Definitive Biography by Chris Scalewicz, and I have a few questions. 

1. Are the terrible reviews by people who believe everything they hear online, or is the author really that bad? I see comparisons to Hammer of the Gods, and claims that he "focuses on the negative," but he writes about Page like a saint! 

2. There are details that are off, (ex. he wrote that Crowley's 'Do what thou wilt' phrase came from a freemasonry text) but I don't believe the author intends to paint Pagey in a bad light, thoughts?

3. His frequent quoting and referencing Richard Cole irks me a bit

7 hours ago, RockNRollOccultist2267 said:

I've been reading Jimmy Page: the Definitive Biography by Chris Scalewicz, and I have a few questions. 

1. Are the terrible reviews by people who believe everything they hear online, or is the author really that bad? I see comparisons to Hammer of the Gods, and claims that he "focuses on the negative," but he writes about Page like a saint! 

2. There are details that are off, (ex. he wrote that Crowley's 'Do what thou wilt' phrase came from a freemasonry text) but I don't believe the author intends to paint Pagey in a bad light, thoughts?

1. Chris was a mainstream rock journalist in the 70s. I can't speak for others but my biggest complaint about his book is that he hasn't been in the same room as Jimmy since 1979. It's all a bit of a rehash.

2. He wrote a book about Jimmy, based primarily upon rehashing his own work and throwing a few things in so that it wouldn't entirely be a rehash. He didn't dive deep into the occult or anything. He wasn't interested in writing a book that would appeal to people who would pick it apart for things like that. It's basically meant to be a Father's Day gift or something people will buy for Christmas.   

3. According to my notes, Chris interviewed Jimmy two or three times between 1975-1979. Although they are fine interviews on their own merits, obviously they did not yield enough content for book. When that happens authors often turn to other sources. 

20 hours ago, RockNRollOccultist2267 said:

Although it was better than I'd expected, my irritation with it was suddenly inserting something gobsmacking in the text that was then never referenced again.

E.g. he says that, in return for providing £1,000 for some gear (amps, speakers etc) on the first US tour, Mickie Most took 1% of Zeppelin's income in perpetuity. I have never seen this in any other Zep book and no source is given. It isn't the kind of thing that ought to go unremarked either, as 1% of Zeppelin's income is enough to never need to work again (not that Most wasn't already pretty rich from his production work). Yet it's just tossed out and never comes up again. To me, that's irritating as he must know most fans would read that and think wtf?!.

1 hour ago, 76229 said:

Although it was better than I'd expected, my irritation with it was suddenly inserting something gobsmacking in the text that was then never referenced again.

E.g. he says that, in return for providing £1,000 for some gear (amps, speakers etc) on the first US tour, Mickie Most took 1% of Zeppelin's income in perpetuity. I have never seen this in any other Zep book and no source is given. It isn't the kind of thing that ought to go unremarked either, as 1% of Zeppelin's income is enough to never need to work again (not that Most wasn't already pretty rich from his production work). Yet it's just tossed out and never comes up again. To me, that's irritating as he must know most fans would read that and think wtf?!.

Yeah, that sounds a bit sketchy. Peter Grant would have NEVER agreed to such a one-sided deal. I imagine that any revenue Most earned in perpetuity from Led Zeppelin was a result of having formed RAK Management with Peter Grant.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 7:54 PM, SteveAJones said:

1. Chris was a mainstream rock journalist in the 70s. I can't speak for others but my biggest complaint about his book is that he hasn't been in the same room as Jimmy since 1979. It's all a bit of a rehash.

2. He wrote a book about Jimmy, based primarily upon rehashing his own work and throwing a few things in so that it wouldn't entirely be a rehash. He didn't dive deep into the occult or anything. He wasn't interested in writing a book that would appeal to people who would pick it apart for things like that. It's basically meant to be a Father's Day gift or something people will buy for Christmas.   

3. According to my notes, Chris interviewed Jimmy two or three times between 1975-1979. Although they are fine interviews on their own merits, obviously they did not yield enough content for book. When that happens authors often turn to other sources. 

So, is the book worth buying? What do you think?

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2020 at 7:56 PM, Rodrigo said:

So, is the book worth buying? What do you think?

I'm just finishing it up and found it interesting.  Like someone said above, some details are wrong, so it isn't perfect.  But I read "When Giants Walked the Earth" a month ago and noticed that Mick got a few details wrong there too.   I just wish Jimmy would write us an autobiography himself, but I have a feeling it won't happen.  Or, if it does, it's not going to include the entire story.

On 6/27/2020 at 5:43 PM, Snickybomb said:

I'm just finishing it up and found it interesting.  Like someone said above, some details are wrong, so it isn't perfect.  But I read "When Giants Walked the Earth" a month ago and noticed that Mick got a few details wrong there too.   I just wish Jimmy would write us an autobiography himself, but I have a feeling it won't happen.  Or, if it does, it's not going to include the entire story.

👍

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Jimmy Page: The Definitive Biography. A very interesting read, especially the early life of Jimmy. There is a lot of focus on the negatives once it gets into the mid Zep phase, and especially the 77 tour. Much like Mick Walls book, its about the rise of Jimmy and Led Zeppelin and then starting with Robert Plants car crash it treats everything as a decline until Bonzos death. It treats Jimmy through most of the 80's as a broken man, but then builds him up again with an amazing comeback in the 90's, and puts forward how after Page/Plant and also after the 2007 concert he becomes the curator of Led Zeppelin always adjusting rather than trying to create anything that would remotely compare. If you've followed Zep for a long time and read alot of their biographies then you have to decide for yourself which parts are significant, which parts are built up for sensationalism. A few times he puts forward his own opinion on what are the best or most significant tracks on certain albums, I found myself disagreeing with most, and sometimes I thought that he just doesnt get it. I was also put off to begin with, where the introduction relates a story of Jimmy round at David Bowies home and how he was eventually asked to leave and Bowie had to get the house exorcised! At that point I thought 'Oh dear its one of these books'....fortunately that part was pointless. Definitely a good read and lots of info. 

Edited by Victor
Forgot reference

I’m just finishing this book. I enjoyed the very early days up to and including the session years. I found that once it got onto Zeppelin it became like most the others. I learned some new things from this part of the book

There certainly are a few errors / misunderstandings though, including a few oft repeated ones.  Such as; Page played most the second Oakland date seated, Barrington Colbey has never been found so Page is mostly likely the artist of the inside of the fourth album, he isn’t aware that ZoSo was found in the centuries old book, so he concludes it’s derived from a tarot set (both these points seem slack given this book is from 2018)  Mickey Most owning 1% of the band in perpetuity. Plus the one that stuck out most to me, that Keith Richard gave Page the stolen .black beauty. What made him think that?

Ive certainly read worse ones though

• 10 months later...
On 1/2/2019 at 6:20 PM, SteveZ98 said:

If you're reading this, you need "Evenings With Led Zeppelin" by Mike Tremaglio and Dave Lewis. It's a stellar examination of each show the band played. It's like "The Concert File" on steroids. As a disclaimer, I've been friends with Mike for twenty years, but I'd still rave about it even if I didn't know him. It's a must have for everyone who loves Led Zeppelin.

51Wk4R2hDcL._SX385_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just a heads up to anyone who is interested in picking up the revised version of this great book, it will be available in September. It's 48 pages longer than the original version and has tons more pictures. The Tight But Loose site has more details about the updates, include an Amazon link where people in the US can order the book. And as I mentioned above, I am friends with Mike Tremaglio, but don't let that stop you from picking up this stellar book. It's the definitive look at Zep's live career and it's a must have for every fan of the band.

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/evenings-with-led-zeppelin-the-complete-concert-chronicle-revised-and-expanded-edition-pre-order-now/

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

An interesting review of the Spitz book:

https://ledzepnews.com/2021/11/04/review-led-zeppelin-the-biography-by-bob-spitz/

I don't think there will be any earth-shattering new info here, and he definitely isn't approaching this from a musical perspective but more from a "behind the scenes" look. It could have some interesting stuff in it though, we'll see. He seems like a decent enough writer based on other books he's written.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

"Finding Jimmy Page" read to me like fan fiction or self-published. The publisher is a small university press, so it probably is close to self-published. I can't imagine Mr. Page being pleased with the subject matter or conjecture on his personal life including an ex-wife - fiction or not.

There was no need for Spitz's book. He and the publisher cashing in on the Zeppelin name and providing nothing new. It's nothing more than a fat and shiny package by a big publisher released just before Christmas in an attempt to market to a larger audience than the die hard fans.