The Led Zeppelin Book List

thozil

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 2:25 PM, HollywoodBowl1998 said:

image.png.5353d681277af5e15a875b9202d850dc.pngUnless I missed it in the thread, there's this too. It was the first Zep book I read. Lots of crazy stories.

This one has been discredited along with Hammer of the Gods.

On 5/3/2022 at 10:21 AM, 44Henry said:

Maybe so .. but fun reads .. and who know if the true story's will ever come out . I am sure the main protagonists will stay tight lipped in this day and age

On 5/3/2022 at 3:21 AM, 44Henry said:

How much of these two books have been discredited? like some or most of the books?  Any notable things you remember that are straight up wrong?  Overall, that's too bad, they were such good reads.

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2022 at 12:08 PM, 44Henry said:

"Finding Jimmy Page" read to me like fan fiction or self-published. The publisher is a small university press, so it probably is close to self-published. I can't imagine Mr. Page being pleased with the subject matter or conjecture on his personal life including an ex-wife - fiction or not.

There was no need for Spitz's book. He and the publisher cashing in on the Zeppelin name and providing nothing new. It's nothing more than a fat and shiny package by a big publisher released just before Christmas in an attempt to market to a larger audience than the die hard fans.

Agreed on the Spitz book. Hammer of the Gods repackaged to look highbrow. I saw an interview where he said before writing the book he did not own one Zeppelin record.

The Hallenberg book "Searching for Jimmy Page" was straight up fan fiction.

• 1 month later...

In the meanwhile, from the land of the rising sun; in July Jonesy's Book was released. Unfortunately I don't understand Japanese, but being a fan of John Baldwin, I couldn't resist. It goes without saying that this book is focussing on John Paul's bass and keyboard gear. 

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/4401652266/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(For all you percussionists and Bonham fans, the publisher also released a similar book on Bonzo's equipment)

Edited by duckman

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2022 at 6:18 PM, HollywoodBowl1998 said:

How much of these two books have been discredited? like some or most of the books?  Any notable things you remember that are straight up wrong?  Overall, that's too bad, they were such good reads.

Both books are well written but sensationalized accounts. Author Stephen Davis exploited tour manager Richard Cole for the bulk of the meaningful content in Hammer of the Gods, paying him the paltry sum of $1,500 (as I recall) to be interviewed. About seven years late Cole wrote his own book, Stairway to Heaven which is a much more balanced account. Both books contain inaccuracies, but none of great significance come to mind. The same cannot be said for the follow up book Davis wrote just a few years ago. In that book, he claims Led Zeppelin performed in Austin, TX in 1975 without offering any substantiation whatsoever. Led Zeppelin in Austin, TX and (Benton Harbor, TN) 1975 have been rumored for decades, but within the last 15 years or so were both debunked beyond any reasonable doubt.       

On 9/22/2022 at 7:58 AM, SteveAJones said:

Both books are well written but sensationalized accounts. Author Stephen Davis exploited tour manager Richard Cole for the bulk of the meaningful content in Hammer of the Gods, paying him the paltry sum of $1,500 (as I recall) to be interviewed. About seven years late Cole wrote his own book, Stairway to Heaven which is a much more balanced account. Both books contain inaccuracies, but none of great significance come to mind. The same cannot be said for the follow up book Davis wrote just a few years ago. In that book, he claims Led Zeppelin performed in Austin, TX in 1975 without offering any substantiation whatsoever. Led Zeppelin in Austin, TX and (Benton Harbor, TN) 1975 have been rumored for decades, but within the last 15 years or so were both debunked beyond any reasonable doubt.       

My conclusion has been that the band denounced HOTG primarily to slam the door on any discussion of events they didn't want to answer to, rather than for any significant inaccuracies.  Which really helped maintain the aura of mystery that this book took advantage of when it was released. I would be surprised if JP didn't to some degree appreciate the visibility this 1985 release provided the band during that stretch between the releases of Coda and the box set. Surely, it's purely coincidental they played a reunion set on a global stage that year.

I would never disparage HOTG. In retrospect, i think it's pretty cool that i was introduced to the band via pulp fiction. It isn't just groupies and drugs; it referenced setlists, described concerts & had bootlegs listed in the appendix. I hadn't yet heard an unofficial recording when i first read this, and more than anything it catapulted me into collecting live recordings, which is the real Led Zeppelin Saga. For me it all started here.    

image.png.00503f91b5e90b68ed3e21d11f437426.png

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2016 at 6:22 PM, Balthazor said:

I

Led Zeppelin: When Giants Walked The Earth by Mick Wall - biography, probably more accurate than Hammer of the Gods.

What bloody eludes me in this one is that it uses a lot of energy in explaining the ins and outs of Page's magick and Crowley things but not a fuckin' word about Plant's vocal decline in the fall/ winter 72/73 prior to their biggest tour so far. How were they dealing with it individually, as a band, from the management side etc.

Edited by JMH

• 1 month later...

Looks like there is going to be a lower priced version of Dave Lewis' "Five Glorious Nights" book that chronicles the Earls Court shows. It's £69 + shipping, which is quite a bit less than the £495 original version.

https://www.rufuspublications.com/rufusbooks/Led-Zeppelin/ledzeppelinstandard 

Edited by SteveZ98

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2022 at 9:16 AM, JMH said:

What bloody eludes me in this one is that it uses a lot of energy in explaining the ins and outs of Page's magick and Crowley things but not a fuckin' word about Plant's vocal decline in the fall/ winter 72/73 prior to their biggest tour so far. How were they dealing with it individually, as a band, from the management side etc.

Agreed. This book was good and chalk full of detail, but waaay too much Crowley for me. Not saying it wasn't a thing in Jimmy's life and needed some referencing, but Wall leaned on it too heavily, imo. The book was also terribly structured; it didn't read smoothly. He had clearly done his research, but the way he crammed it in was annoying to read.  I am glad I read it, for the detail though.

On 1/1/2023 at 1:52 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Anyone have the Bob Gruen photo book? Opinions on it?

The one from 1989? It's worth getting. You've probably seen his most common shots but there's lots of other that are 'new'. He's one of the few photographers with access during '73-'77.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 12/17/2022 at 3:14 AM, SteveZ98 said:

Looks like there is going to be a lower priced version of Dave Lewis' "Five Glorious Nights" book that chronicles the Earls Court shows. It's £69 + shipping, which is quite a bit less than the £495 original version.

https://www.rufuspublications.com/rufusbooks/Led-Zeppelin/ledzeppelinstandard 

Wandered into this thread, followed the link and pulled the trigger on it. Second pressing, updated version but smaller physically than the original. 

23 minutes ago, gcczep said:

Wandered into this thread, followed the link and pulled the trigger on it. Second pressing, updated version but smaller physically than the original. 

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it once you receive it.

20 hours ago, SteveZ98 said:

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it once you receive it.

Will do. Looking forward to receiving my copy. Always liked the Earls Court gigs.

• 2 weeks later...

Received the book today. Size wise it is underwhelming IMO compared to the books from Page or by the band themselves. The photos are mostly clear given the size of the book. Well done visual narrative from beginning to end I'd say. Nice little slip case that goes with it plus an additional letter folder of four additional but less clear pics. Was it worth the price and postage? After I get over its diminutive size...maybe. Smallest coffee table book by far.