Earls Court multitracks

Crimson Avenger

Hi, just been reading the 1977 multitrack thread, and it got me thinking about Earls Court 1975. Were all those shows recorded multitrack, or just the last two? It's just struck me that the official DVD only uses 24th and 25th as sources, with maybe a couple of patches from 23rd, according to the Garden Tapes site. That's odd, because 23rd sounds like a superior show, to my ears... so why didn't they use it at all? There would have been video from all five nights.

Depending on who you want to believe, the last 3 gigs were multi tracked, with the 23rd having some technical difficulties on one of the microphones (doesn't completely add up to me but there it is), and version 2 is that they were all multi tracked, but they chose to use the 24th and 25th as the main sources (possibly to preserve tape, or save it for future release). Latter makes more sense, but until we see more evidence and proof, guessing is all we can do really.

PS. I agree, 24th and 25th (as a whole) sound somewhat tired and really loose. 23rd sounds better to me too, but audience tapes can make you biased, since it hides minor imperfections. They do me at least.

Hi, just been reading the 1977 multitrack thread, and it got me thinking about Earls Court 1975. Were all those shows recorded multitrack, or just the last two? It's just struck me that the official DVD only uses 24th and 25th as sources, with maybe a couple of patches from 23rd, according to the Garden Tapes site. That's odd, because 23rd sounds like a superior show, to my ears... so why didn't they use it at all? There would have been video from all five nights.

There would have been a video feed for all five nights, but it wouldn't necessarily have gone to tape - it was only for video to the big screen and recording the master video feed was a bit of an afterthought I think.  It appears that recordings of the video feed only exists for the last two nights (that's all that's circulating in the boot world, and that's all they used on DVD). 
The reason audio from only two nights (apart from the patches) were used for the audio on the dvd?  Easy - they had video to match it.  Synchronising video to non-corresponding audio never really looks right.
From the looks of it they only took a tape of the video feed for the sake of posterity - not a planned release.  If they had planned to release it they would have recorded the feed from each camera separately, and every night, (you can never have too much footage) to allow them to edit the video at a later date.

There would have been a video feed for all five nights, but it wouldn't necessarily have gone to tape - it was only for video to the big screen and recording the master video feed was a bit of an afterthought I think.  It appears that recordings of the video feed only exists for the last two nights (that's all that's circulating in the boot world, and that's all they used on DVD). The reason audio from only two nights (apart from the patches) were used for the audio on the dvd?  Easy - they had video to match it.  Synchronising video to non-corresponding audio never really looks right.
From the looks of it they only took a tape of the video feed for the sake of posterity - not a planned release.  If they had planned to release it they would have recorded the feed from each camera separately, and every night, (you can never have too much footage) to allow them to edit the video at a later date.

Cheers, makes sense if there's audio but no video fom 23rd. I'd assumed they would have kept the video from all five nights, but yes, synching the footage wouldn't have worked, even if they'd put on a wig and gone to Shepperton :)

Archived