England

leddy

We could have done with some foreign players in the team last night.

I don't think we can blame them for the way our team didn't perform on the night.

They were abysmal in all positions, only Crouch seemed like he was trying.

Shite. :angry:

Disgraceful performance really.

Your right we can't blame them for last night but I do think the influx is not helping our national team in the long run ! We were not that good before the Premeirship started :rolleyes:

I have to say that I like that a few new faces have come into this thread this time, don't be scared as we can talk anything English...not just footy :D

Where does everyone think is the best town, city or countryside that they have been to in England ? For me I loved living in Mancester for 4 years, it has a bad press sometimes but I thought it was a happening place. For beauty I would say Cornwall or Lake District, oh and love Bristol and Newcastle too as cities and people !!

Glad to hear the whole country isn't down in the dumps about it. :lol:
Hahaha, I think there are a lot of non-football fans here (me included!), so yea, it was pretty funny. What I laugh about the most though, is the radio shows in the morning after. My grandad loves his football and plays them like everyday - It made me laugh so much to hear them all ringing up and whining about tactics and crap, it's just a game - who cares?! rofl

Hahaha, I think there are a lot of non-football fans here (me included!), so yea, it was pretty funny. What I laugh about the most though, is the radio shows in the morning after. My grandad loves his football and plays them like everyday - It made me laugh so much to hear them all ringing up and whining about tactics and crap, it's just a game - who cares?! rofl

:D well I do care as evn though its only a game, maybe if you can relate it to something your passionate about then you might understand..say like Led Zep maybe ? I am very passionate about the things I love, but at the end of the day I did think itwas funny to see our national team look like a pub team but also sad too !! but hey we are all different here and talking something other than footy is cool !!! :)

Well, I've stayed in a roadside inn in Chester and my water-ski buddy here is from the Isle of Wight. Did London and all that, but my best time is at our friends place on the Welsh Coast.

Not really English the Welsh coast but I will let you off !! :D

Well, their place was the best because:

they own the local chip shop (never paid a cent)

they live on the Irish Sea (never paid a cent for the view out the bedroom window)

they gave us their Rover (never had to rent a car)

and they bought all our booze!

they picked us up from Heathrow...enough said!

I love those people... :wub:

If you get to Aberaeron ...... "le sigh"

Well, their place was the best because:

they own the local chip shop (never paid a cent)

they live on the Irish Sea (never paid a cent for the view out the bedroom window)

they gave us their Rover (never had to rent a car)

and they bought all our booze!

they picked us up from Heathrow...enough said!

I love those people... :wub:

If you get to Aberaeron ...... "le sigh"

fair enough !!! :)

Perhaps England should sack Maclaren and bring in The Special One.

I'm a Canadian but love English football.... Discuss?

Well they have sacked him, but The Special One has said that he wants a club job at the mo. He said that he would like to manage a national team later in life !! I think Martin O'Neil might well be the one to have !!

Good morning England..its a lovely sunny morning,crisp and cold but still good to be here..Have a great day in whatever your doing..oh and now Martin O'Neil has said he doesn't want the England job, nobody in their right mind wants it :):)

Good morning England..its a lovely sunny morning,crisp and cold but still good to be here..Have a great day in whatever your doing..oh and now Martin O'Neil has said he doesn't want the England job, nobody in their right mind wants it :):)

Its bloody raining here :angry:

I am not in my right mind but for 2.5 million quid a year I would put my head on the block. :blink:

Its a bit like the Welsh Rugby job...a poison chalice. Uhhhh sorry for mentioning the Welsh Rugby team on this thread but u know what I mean. I for one think its a shame ur boys didn't make it, at least we would of had a team to follow in the Europeans next year same can be said of Scotland...so close.

Does anyone remember this from 20 years ago ??

The Great Storm 20 years on

On 16th October 1987, southern Britain was hit by hurricane force winds, the worst storm to occur in Britain since 1703. Twenty years on, Britain is remembering the devastation caused by what came to be known as 'The Great Storm.' 15 million trees were uprooted due to the wind, as well as the fact that a wet autumn in general had made the ground very muddy.

The falling trees caused destruction to buildings and vehicles, and blocked roads and railway lines, causing everyone from commuters to school-children to stay at home. There were also black-outs across the area, as power lines were damaged by falling trees and flying debris. People resorted to candles and torches for light, and gas stoves and open fires to cook food.

The storm raged for 4 hours before dawn and claimed 18 lives. The effects of the bad weather were heightened by the fact that most people were completely unprepared because the weather forecasters were caught out.

Earlier that week, weather forecasts had predicted severe weather. But forecasters thought it would miss Britain and only affect the English Channel.

The freak storm caused damage of more than £1billion pounds and hundreds of people sustained injuries.

But could the same thing happen today in Britain? Well, as a result of climate change many people think that sudden and severe weather changes are more likely. However, meteorological technology has improved and now uses satellites to get a much more accurate picture of future weather. So if another Great Storm comes along, the British public should be better warned and prepared!

I remember that in the flat I had at the time we had wardrobes that went over the bed and they rattled all night from the wind coming thru the chimmney, windows were rattling to, when woke up in the morning, sombodies roof was gone and a tree in the rd !! Also sombody I worked with at the time lost her Husband that night as he was a fireman and a tree fell thru the fire engine. I saw the program on it a few weeks back and it brought it all back !!

I have a question. As an American is it correct to refer to someone who is from Britian as being English or do you call them British?

Afterall, I am Anglo-Saxon so wouldn't I be "English" too?

I'm sure you're just trying to cause trouble, but the English are the inhabitants of England as opposed to those of Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Cornwall, but all of the people of these areas combined are British. People of the former British colonies were (and sometimes still are) also considered British. I thought you were Irish anyways, Del, which is another thing altogether... Obviously if you are indeed part A-S, then of course you are ethnically/ancestrally English.

I'm sure you're just trying to cause trouble, but the English are the inhabitants of England as opposed to those of Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Cornwall, but all of the people of these areas combined are British. People of the former British colonies were (and sometimes still are) also considered British. I thought you were Irish anyways, Del, which is another thing altogether... Obviously if you are indeed part A-S, then of course you are ethnically/ancestrally English.

Actually it was an honest question -- no not trying to cause trouble. I guess it just seems strange to me that the thread is an 'England' thread and not a Britian thread. We have a Canada thread, which is not a Nova Scotia or Alberta thread. And when there was a United States thread, it was not a Texas or a Florida thread.

So do English people think of themselves first as being English, and secondly as being British? Or am I just missing something here? I didn't think that "England" has been a separate nation from Scotland and Wales for quite a long time. In the Olympics I never see "England" and "Scotland" competing on any team other than Great Britian.

And although I have some small amount of Irish in my anscestery (what American doesn't) I am predominantly English. If you heard my last name you would recognize it as being distinctly Anglo Saxon in it's origin.

What made you think I was Irish?

Actually it was an honest question -- no not trying to cause trouble. I guess it just seems strange to me that the thread is an 'England' thread and not a Britian thread. We have a Canada thread, which is not a Nova Scotia or Alberta thread. And when there was a United States thread, it was not a Texas or a Florida thread.

But they are states/provinces in those countries. England is a country in itself. Counties like Surrey, Hampshire, Yorkshire etc etc would be the equivalent of American sates and Canadian provinces.

So do English people think of themselves first as being English, and secondly as being British?

Some do. I do. Others are not particularly concerned either way.

I didn't think that "England" has been a separate nation from Scotland and Wales for quite a long time. In the Olympics I never see "England" and "Scotland" competing on any team other than Great Britian.

In football, rugby and cricket we compete as 'England'.

As an American is it correct to refer to someone who is from Britian as being English or do you call them British?

Depends what part of Britain they are from. If they are from Scotland or Wales then it would be incorrect to call them English and you might end up with a broken nose. LOL.

In the same way I, as an Englishman, wouldn't like being called a Scotsman....because I'm not. Somebody from California isn't a Texan.

So do English people think of themselves first as being English, and secondly as being British? Or am I just missing something here? I didn't think that "England" has been a separate nation from Scotland and Wales for quite a long time. In the Olympics I never see "England" and "Scotland" competing on any team other than Great Britian.

And although I have some small amount of Irish in my anscestery (what American doesn't) I am predominantly English. If you heard my last name you would recognize it as being distinctly Anglo Saxon in it's origin.

What made you think I was Irish?

I thought you said something on the old forum about being a bit Irish when saying something about the treatment of the Irish by the English--sorry if I mischaracterized you. The whole English/British thing is complicated. I think the actual English do see themselves as first English and then British, and always have done. Increasingly, though, the various parts of Britain see themselves as separate, so much so that Scotland is thinking seriously of becoming entirely politically separate, so this tends to make everyone more insistent about his or her actual local identity--English, Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish, and Cornish alike.

I thought you said something on the old forum about being a bit Irish when saying something about the treatment of the Irish by the English--sorry if I mischaracterized you. The whole English/British thing is complicated. I think the actual English do see themselves as first English and then British, and always have done. Increasingly, though, the various parts of Britain see themselves as separate, so much so that Scotland is thinking seriously of becoming entirely politically separate, so this tends to make everyone more insistent about his or her actual local identity--English, Welsh, Scottish, Northern Irish, and Cornish alike.

Yes, a bit Irish, but not enough to march in a St Patrick day parade or anything. :unsure:

But thanks for answering my question on the English/British identity thing. Now it makes more sense.

Archived