England

leddy

Thanks for that, Danny. No wonder I didn't see any cars.

I absolutely hated it. I'm not a fan of trains at the best of times, but knowing it's deep down in the channel freaked us right out.

Hi LDW,

When/If i ever go to France i always used the SeaCat Catamaran, it only took an hour and the fare was £1 on Sundays, the times i went were numerious, every one going for cheap booze and fags, all i got was a "Flags of the World" Card Game would you believe? :lol:

Regards, Danny

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tactic-Games-UK-02...s/dp/B00006JMXU

PS. You wont find a Rebel one in there if thats what your thinking.

Edited by BIGDAN

I absolutely hated it. I'm not a fan of trains at the best of times, but knowing it's deep down in the channel freaked us right out.

It is a strange feeling being underground on a train but I'd like to take it to France once just for the experience :D

I love trains. :) I'm normally pretty claustrophobic, though, so had expected not to like the bit under the channel, but it was so quick it turned out not to be a problem. And zipping through the countryside like that was amazing!

I think I've crossed the channel every way available over the years except swimming. :D I used to like the hovercraft best.

its dirty so I am not sure ughhh

It's not 'dirty'. The Thames is one of the cleanest rivers to pass through a major metropolis anywhere in the world. It 'looks' dirty because it's shallow and tidal and so has a lot of silt due to the tidal disturbance but salmon and trout thrive in the Thames and it's much much cleaner now than in centuries gone by.

http://www.the-river-thames.co.uk/environ.htm

Edited by Mangani

• 2 weeks later...
Done!! I'll take the pics!

Smileyphotogrpaher.png

:D:P

Remember to take lots of film or memory cards. I just returned from London and Bath. I took over 700 pictures. It cost over $150 to develop them. But the pictures are great. We had a blast. I love to travel. I'm trying to decide where I'm going next. B)

He was a good actor. I liked Trevor Howard (no relation) too..

I just watched 'Petrified Forest' with Leslie Howard, Bette Davis and Humphrey Bogart. A classic.

One I also want to see him in is 'Pimpernel Smith'

pimpernel.jpg

B)

• 4 weeks later...
I would really like to visit England and have some fish and chips. :D

Its a hit and miss thing with The old chippy, if you get a bad one it puts you off for life, but when you hit upon a good one and the batter melts in your mouth from the fish then your on to a winner. When I lived in Manchester (best city in the world bar none) we had a great local chippy, unfortunatley my local one down here i the south just sucks...bloody awful.

This is probably off conversation topic, but right with the thread. This past week I visted a little store that sold all sorts of English stuff, it was run by a cute little old English man. I bought a Flake chocolate bar, it was tthe best chocolate I've ever had.

Its a hit and miss thing with The old chippy, if you get a bad one it puts you off for life, but when you hit upon a good one and the batter melts in your mouth from the fish then your on to a winner. When I lived in Manchester (best city in the world bar none) we had a great local chippy, unfortunatley my local one down here i the south just sucks...bloody awful.

Well if you ever happen to be in St Ives, Cornwall, may I suggest you try Porthminster Beach Cafe Takeaway. Best fish and chips I've ever had!! and great views over St Ives Bay :D

The other day I watched 'The 49th Parallel' which featured Leslie Howard. It involves a group of Nazi's stranded in Canada. The scene with Howard was great as he gets revenge for when the Nazi's destroyed his Picasso and Matisse paintings. As he beats the one Nazi he says:

And THIS (smack) is for Picasso!!

And THIS (smack) is for Matisse!!

Great movie.

:)

This is probably off conversation topic, but right with the thread. This past week I visted a little store that sold all sorts of English stuff, it was run by a cute little old English man. I bought a Flake chocolate bar, it was tthe best chocolate I've ever had.

Flakes are the best, I had one today, ok 3 of them :)

Well if you ever happen to be in St Ives, Cornwall, may I suggest you try Porthminster Beach Cafe Takeaway. Best fish and chips I've ever had!! and great views over St Ives Bay :D

nice one, like coming down there to Cornwall :)

My son arrived safely in London on Sunday morning. He had a few difficulties along the way.

His filight was on schedule (for once). Most flights out of JFK for overseas are delayed by several hours as the air traffic leaving the US in the evening is immense and the planes wait on the tarmac for hours in a backlog of flights awaiting to take off. When we went to Ireland, we had a 2 hour delay on the tarmac. There were about 15 planes ahead of us waiting for runway clearance to take off. He had an empty seat next to him so he could spread out. But he had six crying babies sitting near him and they cried the entire flight! He has little tolerance for this, and he said that he played Metallica full volume on his Ipod to drown them out. Thus, he did not get any sleep on the flight.

Then he encountered difficulty on the London Tube. The route given to the students to get from Heathrow to Greenwich involved several tube stations and different lines. When they got to the first station to change lines, the line that they needed to take was closed on Sunday for maintenance. So they had to take an alternative route (several times). It ended up taking 4.5 hours to get to Greenwich, when it normally would take under an hour. He said they spent a large sum of money on their transportation debacle. And they had to lug their bags up and down alot of stairs. The University has since then given each of them an Oyster card for their stay so hopefully their transportation woes are over. I think that my husband and I will take a taxi when we visit in August.

I talked to him on Skype today and he said that the buildings at the University of Greenwich are beautiful. They took a DUCK tour of London. And he loves his professor at the University, Dr. Williams. He seems somewhat eccentric, which my son loves. This week they are studying the Romantic Period of English art and literature. They went to the National Gallery to study the Constable and Gainsborough paintings. (I will definitely visit here on my trip in August just to see the Turners and the Vermeer that they have). They also read some poetry today.

Alot of the Ohio State students went to the Harry Potter movie premier. But it was pouring rain and my son decided to wait to see it later. I am surprised at this as he is a big movie buff and loves Harry Potter and would surely see it in the US the day that it was released if he was home. Maybe not worth it to him to wait in the rain since he is still a little jet lagged. I can't wait to see it!

So far, he is loving Greenwich and London. There is a jazz fest at the University that he is looking forward to attending this weekend. So much to do, only six weeks to do it all! He is so lucky! I would have loved to do this when I was in college!

My son arrived safely in London on Sunday morning. He had a few difficulties along the way.

His filight was on schedule (for once). Most flights out of JFK for overseas are delayed by several hours as the air traffic leaving the US in the evening is immense and the planes wait on the tarmac for hours in a backlog of flights awaiting to take off. When we went to Ireland, we had a 2 hour delay on the tarmac. There were about 15 planes ahead of us waiting for runway clearance to take off. He had an empty seat next to him so he could spread out. But he had six crying babies sitting near him and they cried the entire flight! He has little tolerance for this, and he said that he played Metallica full volume on his Ipod to drown them out. Thus, he did not get any sleep on the flight.

Then he encountered difficulty on the London Tube. The route given to the students to get from Heathrow to Greenwich involved several tube stations and different lines. When they got to the first station to change lines, the line that they needed to take was closed on Sunday for maintenance. So they had to take an alternative route (several times). It ended up taking 4.5 hours to get to Greenwich, when it normally would take under an hour. He said they spent a large sum of money on their transportation debacle. And they had to lug their bags up and down alot of stairs. The University has since then given each of them an Oyster card for their stay so hopefully their transportation woes are over. I think that my husband and I will take a taxi when we visit in August.

I talked to him on Skype today and he said that the buildings at the University of Greenwich are beautiful. They took a DUCK tour of London. And he loves his professor at the University, Dr. Williams. He seems somewhat eccentric, which my son loves. This week they are studying the Romantic Period of English art and literature. They went to the National Gallery to study the Constable and Gainsborough paintings. (I will definitely visit here on my trip in August just to see the Turners and the Vermeer that they have). They also read some poetry today.

Alot of the Ohio State students went to the Harry Potter movie premier. But it was pouring rain and my son decided to wait to see it later. I am surprised at this as he is a big movie buff and loves Harry Potter and would surely see it in the US the day that it was released if he was home. Maybe not worth it to him to wait in the rain since he is still a little jet lagged. I can't wait to see it!

So far, he is loving Greenwich and London. There is a jazz fest at the University that he is looking forward to attending this weekend. So much to do, only six weeks to do it all! He is so lucky! I would have loved to do this when I was in college!

Glad to here that your son arrived here safely. Unfortunately he's missed the heatwave, but there's another due next month, I hear.

There's the visitlondon website that'll give you plenty of info on what's on. And the attractions that are free.

visitlondon

Kenwood House should be particularly interesting.

The wonderful thing about an Oyster card is that it allows you to travel pretty much anywhere - Greater London and the city. And it's not just confined to the underground/overground. London buses are included, too.

Speaking of eccentrics, if he can, tell your son to look out for this chap: Boris Johnson. He'll effectively be your son's mayor for his duration here.

I hope your son has a wonderful time here. :)

Glad to here that your son arrived here safely. Unfortunately he's missed the heatwave, but there's another due next month, I hear.

There's the visitlondon website that'll give you plenty of info on what's on. And the attractions that are free.

visitlondon

Kenwood House should be particularly interesting.

The wonderful thing about an Oyster card is that it allows you to travel pretty much anywhere - Greater London and the city. And it's not just confined to the underground/overground. London buses are included, too.

Speaking of eccentrics, if he can, tell your son to look out for this chap: Boris Johnson. He'll effectively be your son's mayor for his duration here.

I hope your son has a wonderful time here. :)

Thank you for the information, longdistancewinner. :)

The mayor of London seems to be a real character!

Strikes me as being like one of the Three Stooges!

That was a very funny video. It is surprising that he is the mayor. I looked him up on Wiki and it appears that he is well educated and is an Oxford scholar. Maybe he is a closet entertainer and not just a politician. And maybe his clown act is just to disguise his intelligence and to make people like him?

And the gardens at Kenwood House look magnificent!

I see that they have a Vermeer there! The Guitar Player. I would love to see it. And the manor house looks lovely, too.

Vermeer's The Guitar Player

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

Thank you for the information, longdistancewinner.

The mayor of London seems to be a real character!

Strikes me as being like one of the Three Stooges!

That was a very funny video. It is surprising that he is the mayor. I looked him up on Wiki and it appears that he is well educated and is an Oxford scholar. Maybe he is a closet entertainer and not just a politician. And maybe his clown act is just to disguise his intelligence and to make people like him?

And the gardens at Kenwood House look magnificent!

I see that they have a Vermeer there! The Guitar Player. I would love to see it. And the manor house looks lovely, too.

Vermeer's The Guitar Player

Boris is a personal hero of mine, I'm so glad he can inspire the youth of today with such speeches that tell of 'wiff waff'... He's been like that well before he was elected mayor. I'd like to think that he was elected because of the comic factor - the alternative is far more despairing.

I noticed that you mentioned Vermeer (beautiful painting, there) and saw that Kenwood House had a gallery including his work. I'm not too well clued up on Kenwood House, but it does look wonderful. I don't doubt that you'll enjoy it, should you go.

Boris is a personal hero of mine, I'm so glad he can inspire the youth of today with such speeches that tell of 'wiff waff'... He's been like that well before he was elected mayor. I'd like to think that he was elected because of the comic factor - the alternative is far more despairing.

I noticed that you mentioned Vermeer (beautiful painting, there) and saw that Kenwood House had a gallery including his work. I'm not too well clued up on Kenwood House, but it does look wonderful. I don't doubt that you'll enjoy it, should you go.

I think that I really do like Boris, also. :)

I love Vermeer! The Girl With A Pearl Earring is one of my favorites!

I must post a picture of The Guitar Player:

34guita1.jpg

Kenwood House