England

leddy

Hope he has a wonderful time and a safe one too.

My son arrived safely in London on Sunday morning. He had a few difficulties along the way.

His filight was on schedule (for once). Most flights out of JFK for overseas are delayed by several hours as the air traffic leaving the US in the evening is immense and the planes wait on the tarmac for hours in a backlog of flights awaiting to take off. When we went to Ireland, we had a 2 hour delay on the tarmac. There were about 15 planes ahead of us waiting for runway clearance to take off. He had an empty seat next to him so he could spread out. But he had six crying babies sitting near him and they cried the entire flight! He has little tolerance for this, and he said that he played Metallica full volume on his Ipod to drown them out. Thus, he did not get any sleep on the flight.

Then he encountered difficulty on the London Tube. The route given to the students to get from Heathrow to Greenwich involved several tube stations and different lines. When they got to the first station to change lines, the line that they needed to take was closed on Sunday for maintenance. So they had to take an alternative route (several times). It ended up taking 4.5 hours to get to Greenwich, when it normally would take under an hour. He said they spent a large sum of money on their transportation debacle. And they had to lug their bags up and down alot of stairs. The University has since then given each of them an Oyster card for their stay so hopefully their transportation woes are over. I think that my husband and I will take a taxi when we visit in August.

I talked to him on Skype today and he said that the buildings at the University of Greenwich are beautiful. They took a DUCK tour of London. And he loves his professor at the University, Dr. Williams. He seems somewhat eccentric, which my son loves. This week they are studying the Romantic Period of English art and literature. They went to the National Gallery to study the Constable and Gainsborough paintings. (I will definitely visit here on my trip in August just to see the Turners and the Vermeer that they have). They also read some poetry today.

Alot of the Ohio State students went to the Harry Potter movie premier. But it was pouring rain and my son decided to wait to see it later. I am surprised at this as he is a big movie buff and loves Harry Potter and would surely see it in the US the day that it was released if he was home. Maybe not worth it to him to wait in the rain since he is still a little jet lagged. I can't wait to see it!

So far, he is loving Greenwich and London. There is a jazz fest at the University that he is looking forward to attending this weekend. So much to do, only six weeks to do it all! He is so lucky! I would have loved to do this when I was in college!

This is probably off conversation topic, but right with the thread. This past week I visted a little store that sold all sorts of English stuff, it was run by a cute little old English man. I bought a Flake chocolate bar, it was tthe best chocolate I've ever had.

Yup. Some American friends that came and stayed with us said the same thing. Cadbury's chocolate, the makers of the flake bar, has to be the nicest chocolate ever!!

About England though, I was down in St Ives the other week and it was like the freakin' Mediteranean!!! Absolutely beautiful.

Well I have a question to all of you from England. Do you think England will have a good team for next years World Cup? Are they assured to qualify? Obviously the US getting to the final against Brazil in that recent tournament was a fluke. When you get outshot 29-9 you are supposed to lose. Somehow they beat Spain and if they ever play them again Im sure they will pay dearly. It is not our sport but I love to watch the World Cup. Its the only time we really get good coverage. I have to agree with the people here that dont like the sport on one thing. The offsides. If its close, or the defender and the attacker are straddling each other they should let it count. They call the offsides too often and it takes away scoring. People dont like 0-0 games. Not in the US anyway. I love to watch the WC though and hope that England will do well. Brazil, Argentina and Germany we know will be heard from. Maybe South Africa too as they are the host and that seems to give an edge? Always thought Spain was tough too. And maybe even Mexico will be tough? One more year. But first, the Winter games in Vancouver. That should be fun to watch.

Yes England will have a good team 'on paper' for the World Cup but won't win it. England are destined to never win the World Cup again. Our national team never live up to hope and expectations. England will probably reach the 1/4 finals or maybe the semi finals but that will be about the limit.

English club teams have always done better than the national team. In fact, fans of the big club teams like Liverpool and Manchester United in the main don't give a flying fig for England or international team football. It wouldn't bother me if international team football was binned and there was never a World Cup ever again. It just gets in the way of post and pre club season rest for players. :D

AM I THE ONLY ONE PISSED OFF WITH THE WEATHER HERE AT THE MOMENT???!!!

I mean...SUMMER!!! HELLLLLLOOOOOO???????

Did you miss the summery weather all throughout April, May and June?????

I'm enjoying July's welcome break of cooler and cloudier weather. :P

In all seriousness, I don't think there is much cause to complain about the weather this year when we had such a glorious spring and early summer.

Still, being in Leeds it might have been different to the south of England I guess.

Edited by Mangani

I went to England in the first week of July in 1988 with my parents and maternal grandmother who is now gone. I loved every moment. I remember leaving Boston at midnight and getting there at 7 in the morning. I also remember watching this beautiful lady doing her make up in the rest room at Heathrow who reminded me of Vivien Leigh and watching the Indian people in their beautiful saris and gold sandels. My favorite part was getting to see Follies and even saw Eartha Kitt sing "I'm Still Here." My father bought me the vynil album before we left London, which I would listen to almost everyday the rest of the summer. We went to the BFI bookstore and the woman complatmented my father how carefully I looked at the movie books. I had a fantastic lamb dinner our very last night in Strafford. I'd love to go back. This also the only time I had been out of the States.

Edited by aen27

Well I have a question to all of you from England. Do you think England will have a good team for next years World Cup? Are they assured to qualify? Obviously the US getting to the final against Brazil in that recent tournament was a fluke.

I think they will have a fairly good team, but to be honest I don't think it matters. Last world cup we were ment to have the best team for years and years, yet they failed. This time on paper it isn't so good but if we get abit of luck you never know as in the last world cup both Italy and France were not the best two teams in the world, but they got to the final because they are good in tournements. Look at Germany again not always the best team in the world but get to the latter stages of the tournements because they come good at the right time, so if We are ever to win it ever again then I think it doesn't matter if we are the best,\ just get it right in the tournements.

Well done on USA getting to the final\ of that tournement last month, again not the best team but you got to the final and thats what England have to do, forget about being pretty just get to the semis and finals and win one :)

I am a United supporter but I do care about the national team, if we won the World Cup it would be awsome and just the best feeling in the world, the same if not more than when United won the unprecidented treble in 1999 and that was just incredible in Manchester.

Dose anyone know how long there has been a Hard Rock cafe in London?

Not sure how long but it has been there, early 70's I guess, it was first one in the world though

World’s oldest man, one of the last WWI veterans, dies

300h.jpg

Henry Allingham

July 19, 2009

LONDON - The world’s oldest man, 113-year-old World War I veteran Henry Allingham, died yesterday after spending his final years reminding Britain about the 9 million soldiers killed during the conflict.

Allingham was the last surviving original member of the Royal Air Force, which was formed in 1918. He made it a personal crusade to talk about a conflict that wiped out much of a generation. Though nearly blind, he would take the outstretched hands of visitors in both of his, gaze into the eyes of children, veterans, and journalists and deliver a message he wanted them all to remember.

“I want everyone to know,’’ he said during an interview in November. “They died for us.’’

Only a handful of World War I veterans remain of the estimated 68 million mobilized. There are no French veterans left alive; the last living American-born veteran is Frank Woodruff Buckles of Charles Town, W.Va.

“It’s the end of an era - a very special and unique generation,’’ said Allingham’s longtime friend, Dennis Goodwin, who confirmed the death. “The British people owe them a great deal of gratitude.’’

Born June 6, 1896, Allingham left school at 15 and was working in a car factory in East London when the war broke out in 1914.

He spent the war’s first months refitting trucks for military use, but when his mother died in June 1915, he decided to join after seeing a plane circling a reservoir in Essex.

Only a dozen years after the Wright brothers first put up their plane, Allingham and other airmen set out from England on motorized kites made with wood, linen, and wire. They piled on clothes and smeared their faces in Vaseline, whale oil, or engine grease to block the cold.

“To be honest, all the planes were so flimsy and unpredictable - as well as incapable of carrying large fuel loads - at the start of the war that both British and German pilots would immediately turn back rather than face each other in the skies if they did not enjoy height supremacy,’’ Allingham would later write.

As a mechanic, Allingham’s job was to maintain the rickety craft. He also flew as an observer on a biplane. At first, his weaponry consisted of a standard issue Lee Enfield .303 rifle - sometimes two. Parachutes weren’t issued. He fought in the Battle of Jutland, the largest naval battle of World War I. He served on the Western Front.

After the war, he worked at the Ford motor factory and raised two children with his wife, Dorothy. She died in 1970, and when his daughter Jean died in 2001, friends say he waited to die, too.

That’s when he met Goodwin, a lay inspector for nursing homes, who realized that veterans of Allingham’s generation were not getting the care they needed to address the trauma they had experienced.

He encouraged Allingham to share his experiences and the veteran soon began talking to reporters and school groups, the connection to a lost generation. He found himself leading military parades. He was made an Officer of France’s Legion of Honor.

He met Queen Elizabeth II and wrote his autobiography with Goodwin, “Kitchener’s Last Volunteer,’’ a reference to Britain’s minister for war who rallied men to the cause.

Allingham remained outspoken until his death.

“I think we need to make people aware that a few men gave all they had to give so that you could have a better world to live in,’’ he said. “We have to pray it never happens again.’’

Edited by The Rover

^^^^ Man, that sucks. Amazing to have been there for both World Wars and lived through all that craziness. Must also be humbling to think that you were just one of the ones left that actually saw it and experienced it. To be able to say, "I was there". That is huge. RIP.

And in answer to one of the above questions...England is pretty cool. Lots of great countryside, plenty of decent people. You should visit if you get the chance. :thumbsup:

I'd love to visit England one day. Not only do I want to see London, I want to see Liverpool, Cambridge, William Shakespeare's birthplace...the list goes on. The thought of flying there scares me though because I've never been a huge fan of flying, and it's been 16 years since I've been on a plane.

He was a good actor. I liked Trevor Howard (no relation) too..

I love Leslie Howard and Trevor Howard.

My friend loves Michael Redgrave.

I also love David Niven. Especially in A Matter of Life and Death. Funnily, the American title was Stairway to Heaven long before the song!

I have also gotten to love Jessie Matthews. She seems like she was the British Elenor Powell.

Edited by aen27