England

leddy

^

I honestly didn't think England would progress much further. I really thought the USA would go further and maybe reach the semis.

Shame how it's worked out for both countries. :(

At least you guys have 4th July coming up. We just have Eastenders. Pass me that Boddingtons so I can get pissed.

^

I honestly didn't think England would progress much further. I really thought the USA would go further and maybe reach the semis.

Shame how it's worked out for both countries. sad.gif

At least you guys have 4th July coming up. We just have Eastenders. Pass me that Boddingtons so I can get pissed.

It sucks. Especially when you know the outcome would have been different if the damn refs had allowed that goal that was a goal. The coach should just catch the next plane to Rome where they might have him. Or to Toscano's house.tongue.gif England should have won. I still think a south american country or Spain will prevail. It will be interesting to see just how good Portugal really is. Brazil are always a handfull, but can be beaten. Argentina, it could be them? But Spain was picked at the start, so maybe they will come alive? Had Beckham been with England one has to wonder if it could have made a difference? How old is Rooney? Is it concievable he could be in Brazil in four years?

Oh gawd I hope not. Rooney still being around in 4 years that is. That's 2 World Cups he's played in and ZERO goals. He's only 24 but he's the kind of player who will be burned out before his time. England played every game with 10 men because Rooney was totally anonymous and contributed nothing. A wasted position. Personally I would have dropped him. He offered nothing. Defoe did more in 2 games than Rooney did in 4. Crouch should have been utilised more.

I think (like you) it might be Argentina's cup.

Oh gawd I hope not. Rooney still being around in 4 years that is. That's 2 World Cups he's played in and ZERO goals. He's only 24 but he's the kind of player who will be burned out before his time. England played every game with 10 men because Rooney was totally anonymous and contributed nothing. A wasted position. Personally I would have dropped him. He offered nothing. Defoe did more in 2 games than Rooney did in 4. Crouch should have been utilised more.

I think (like you) it might be Argentina's cup.

I guess I would say Argentina vs Spain perhaps. At 24 he certainly can retrun at 28 though as many have returned much older. So I would say its a safe bet he will be back if he is still good in your leagues there that I dont have a clue about. Dont know who has been winning? Manchester United? Chalsea? You have to dig hard to get any info in the States about soccer.

Now that England is out of the World Cup, its time to start thinking about London 2012! Should be a great event and the world will come together once again for the summer olympics. I would like to see some of the venues and where they will be other than just London? Im sure it will be going on throughout England.

From my personal experience most poeple are either indifferent or at least not crazy about the upcoming 2012 Olympics. I think most English people would prefer hosting the World Cup instead of the Olympics. The Olympics will mostly be just a London thing although like you said some other events will take place outside. There will be sailing off the south coast (Weymouth I think).

London is crowded enough at the lowest of seasons. Gawd knows what it's going to be like in the middle of summer during the Olympics. I'm not kidding when I say I would hate to be there in London then. :o

But anyway seeing as Great Britain came a credible 4th in the medals table last time around (behind the much bigger China, USA and Russia)there could be a lot of hope and expectation when the time does come for 2012. Right now, not too many people are excited.

From my personal experience most poeple are either indifferent or at least not crazy about the upcoming 2012 Olympics. I think most English people would prefer hosting the World Cup instead of the Olympics. The Olympics will mostly be just a London thing although like you said some other events will take place outside. There will be sailing off the south coast (Weymouth I think).

London is crowded enough at the lowest of seasons. Gawd knows what it's going to be like in the middle of summer during the Olympics. I'm not kidding when I say I would hate to be there in London then. ohmy.gif

But anyway seeing as Great Britain came a credible 4th in the medals table last time around (behind the much bigger China, USA and Russia)there could be a lot of hope and expectation when the time does come for 2012. Right now, not too many people are excited.

It will be interesting to see how they do it. In Sydney they swam the triathlon in open water. Wonder if they will brave the English channel for this event? It would be surprising to see Great Britain in the top four but I guess at home its possible. Given that the United States, Russia, China are probably going to be the top three in summer events. But its really never been about the medal count all together. Individual events stand respected on their own accomplishments.

ps Mangini, if you read this, I saw your shark comment in the other thread. Are there Great Whites in the waters off your Island? Or any big sharks?

London is crowded enough at the lowest of seasons. Gawd knows what it's going to be like in the middle of summer during the Olympics. I'm not kidding when I say I would hate to be there in London then. :o

Hi mangani,

I'll tell you about "Indifference" mate, my two youngest sons cant even get a job at the Olympic Site, they were told that they are only taking on Staff through Agencies, and the Agencies are only employing Poles, why you may ask? well its because the Polish owned Agencies gave the lowest bids and they are only going to take on their own countrymen, we help every other fcuker in this world but we cant help out our own folk and its a fcuking disgrace, fcuk the Olympics and fcuk the Government for not only allowing it but encouraging it, and "IT" being putting foreign labour before your own.

Regards, Danny

I can't wait for the Olympics, I watch all of it, and we wont have to stay up all night this time, I may even go and watch some live.. although i fear London will become a terrorist target angry.gif

It already is along with New York, but the security will be very high and I think it will be pulled off well. England will have any help they need with security also from other friendly countries. I was just thinking of trying to get over there myself. I don't know which events I would try and get a ticket for first? I would be very excited too if they were coming. I would love to see England and what better time than in the summer and for a once in a lifetime Olympic event. I am excited to watch them already regardless. The Olympics are far more popular than soccer here in the States. I would think many Americans will be going across the pond for this one. Its too bad the NHL games didn't take on there? I don't know how the attendance was but the fact they are not playing in England this year kind of tells the story. They are playing in Prague and Sweden. Two more years! It will be here before you know it!

It will be interesting to see how they do it. In Sydney they swam the triathlon in open water. Wonder if they will brave the English channel for this event?

Hehe at least they won't have to be protected by shark spotters.

It would be surprising to see Great Britain in the top four but I guess at home its possible. Given that the United States, Russia, China are probably going to be the top three in summer events.

Like I said, Britain came 4th last time so the expectations will probably be the same on home turf.

But its really never been about the medal count all together. Individual events stand respected on their own accomplishments.

Very true mate. :)

ps Mangini, if you read this, I saw your shark comment in the other thread. Are there Great Whites in the waters off your Island? Or any big sharks?

We have threshers and porbeagles (similar to your salmon sharks off the west coast of California) but they stay well out and are harmless anyway.

No 'great whites' recorded here but we do get the odd report of them from Devon and Cornwall from time to time. These reports are not 'verified' by science but I see no reason why great whites can't occasionally pop up. Makos are well known off Cornwall and (as I said) porbeagles all along the south coast and great whites are of the same family...i.e mackeral sharks that inhabit temperate and cool waters. If a great white has been allegedly spotted, there is no reason to automatically dismiss it. We have plenty of seals here.

As an aside only yesterday a sperm whale was sighted off Devon. They are not normal here. If a sperm whale can show up then so can a great white. :)

Many years ago there was an apparant 'report' of a great white shark off Swanage, Dorset...less than 10 miles from the western tip of the Isle of Wight. :o

Hi mangani,

I'll tell you about "Indifference" mate, my two youngest sons cant even get a job at the Olympic Site, they were told that they are only taking on Staff through Agencies, and the Agencies are only employing Poles, why you may ask? well its because the Polish owned Agencies gave the lowest bids and they are only going to take on their own countrymen, we help every other fcuker in this world but we cant help out our own folk and its a fcuking disgrace, fcuk the Olympics and fcuk the Government for not only allowing it but encouraging it, and "IT" being putting foreign labour before your own.

Regards, Danny

Hi Big Dan,

That is just crazy. You're right, what a digrace. Absolutely mental. :angry:

Its too bad the NHL games didn't take on there? I don't know how the attendance was but the fact they are not playing in England this year kind of tells the story. They are playing in Prague and Sweden. Two more years! It will be here before you know it!

Do you mean the NFL game? It's been here 3 years at Wembley (I think, or was it 2?) and was a sell out all times. Maybe the NFL just wants to branch out and see what else they can do?

Mind you there were many complaints that the Wembley pitch was ruined by the NFL game so that might have something to do with it??? :mellow:

snapback.pngsilvermedalist, on 29 June 2010 - 09:40 AM, said:

It will be interesting to see how they do it. In Sydney they swam the triathlon in open water. Wonder if they will brave the English channel for this event?

We have triathlon here quite alot, they will swim the Thames probably, mind you they will need to watch out for the Thames Trout ;)

Do you mean the NFL game? It's been here 3 years at Wembley (I think, or was it 2?) and was a sell out all times. Maybe the NFL just wants to branch out and see what else they can do?

Mind you there were many complaints that the Wembley pitch was ruined by the NFL game so that might have something to do with it??? :mellow:

Well that is a good point too but I meant the NHL. Hockey. They played a couple games in the same building that the O2 was in to my knowledge

Well that is a good point too but I meant the NHL. Hockey. They played a couple games in the same building that the O2 was in to my knowledge

Sorry. My mistake. I never heard of that. I didn't even know they played a NHL hockey game here. :(

That comment does not represent the sentiments of all of your countrymen!!angry.gif

The bit about the Olympics or the bit about Fabio Cappello (Fab Co)?. As for the Olympics i will do my best to avoid them. That will be hard though cos Wifey is looking forward to them...So i'm stuffed..ironic eh........

Sorry. My mistake. I never heard of that. I didn't even know they played a NHL hockey game here. :(

Yes they did. And it was televised back here in the US. I don't know how the "football" went? If you ask someone here who their favorite football team is they will say Buffalo Bill, Dallas Cowboy, NY Giants, etc. over there, Manchester, Chelsea, etc. Two completely different outlooks on what football really is. I know, soccer is the biggest sport in the world. But it has its flaws in getting places like the US to grasp it like other countries. The offsides are called too often. It makes it too tough to score. And just look what happened to England on that goal that was in the net! To make matters worse the US team loses to Ghana AGAIN!!! HOW????:heartbreaker:

Yes they did. And it was televised back here in the US.

I wonder why I missed that. The NFL games made some big news here but I heard nothing about the NHL games.

I don't know how the "football" went? If you ask someone here who their favorite football team is they will say Buffalo Bill, Dallas Cowboy, NY Giants, etc. over there, Manchester, Chelsea, etc.

*cough...Liverpool...cough*.

Two completely different outlooks on what football really is. I know, soccer is the biggest sport in the world. But it has its flaws in getting places like the US to grasp it like other countries. The offsides are called too often. It makes it too tough to score. And just look what happened to England on that goal that was in the net! To make matters worse the US team loses to Ghana AGAIN!!! HOW????:heartbreaker:

I think most of it has to do with America already being ingrained with gridiron, baseball, basketball, ice hockey etc. America already has it's own sporting passions that won't ever be overtaken. Just like here. We have football, rugby and cricket and we've been watching professional games in those sports for well over 100 years. Gridiron (though an interesting novelty with one off games at Wembley) could never hope to usurp any of those sports here. It's all about traditions and what people are used to. :)

I heard - and I don't know how true this is - Football is the most played sport in the US, but it won't take off as a "watched" sport as the TV channels don't get enough chances to show commercials.

Archived