England

leddy

tis a glorified pigeon in a tiger suit

great_bustard_0517_db.jpg

life wouldn't be the same without this exotic british gem to be sure

Like it ,a pi**taker too...cool....its Russian my old friend :slapface:

What type of bird is it? Interesting looking bird.

I am not sure, I just heard they were tring to introduce it to these shores after the were extinct here for a good while.:)

the "great bustard"......leddy's favorite

This seems interesting, this bird is being reintroduced to this country since the 19th century.......................................The Great Bustard, Otis tarda, is a member of the bustard family

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes Knebby go read Matt's very fine post in the London riots thread. I did not want to post over it. So it seems you are not entirely correct in your assumption the olympics are not that important. I suspected you were way off on that one. Hey, we all make mistakes. I do. I have made plenty. The Olympics are a VERY BIG DEAL;

Yes Knebby go read Matt's very fine post in the London riots thread. I did not want to post over it. So it seems you are not entirely correct in your assumption the olympics are not that important. I suspected you were way off on that one. Hey, we all make mistakes. I do. I have made plenty. The Olympics are a VERY BIG DEAL;

Go read my response. Or we could just talk about it here. If you really think the guy who gave his his son CPR to try to save his life was thinking about the Olympics, you're crazy. If you think the people who have lost family businesses that have been keeping people employed for over 100 years are thinking of the Olympics, you need help. And if you think the people cowering in their beds listening to the sirens and smelling the smoke on Monday night, and waking next day to the devastation and clear-up gave even a passing thought to the Olympics, this conversation is pointless.

Knebby. Why the Errr. I dont get you? I really hope they end this crap. Its ridiculous. Somehow England must put forth an image that it is safe to go there. Or else!!

Or else what???? Are you serious???

England had better do something about these looters "before next summer"?????

Actually I think we were all just thinking of letting them get on with it.

But then we would panic next year because, even though we were quite happy with the collapse of our society, some other countries might be disappointed with the way we handled the Olympics.

FFS. :slapface:

Or else what???? Are you serious???

England had better do something about these looters "before next summer"?????

Actually I think we were all just thinking of letting them get on with it.

But then we would panic next year because, even though we were quite happy with the collapse of our society, some other countries might be disappointed with the way we handled the Olympics.

FFS. :slapface:

Or else it will have negative repurcusions that may last a decade for all we know? It will be bad for England. Bad for the rest of the word and tourism in general. Lets just hope its resolved quickly. Thats all. I am off to the Misty Mountains to my daughters wedding. Goodbye.

All the rioting talk aside, I think tourists will still want to travel to London and see all those great cultural icons: like where they filmed To Sir With Love and the tower of London where they chopped off Marie Antoinette's head.

I must disagree. Paris is a prime example. It has lost its luster in recent times due to all the crap that has gone down there. Take Paris off my wish list for now. At least until things are settled if they ever are.

Good point! Even if I were going to travel that far from home, I don't know of anything in Paris that I couldn't probably see here in the states; like museums and statues and stuff like that. Vegas even has a mini Eiffel tower that you can actually ride up to the top in.

I'd love to visit Ireland again someday, and maybe even England. But I'm still not sure if I want to risk it right now with the current troubles over in London.... well, really across the whole country. Seems like a lot of bad blood running just under the surface of things. For now I'm just going to spend my vacation dollars here at home. No point in paying all those airline fees, and besides, the flight over to the London is such a killer from here on the west coast.

cheers,

Mr. Hamilton.

Er - the history of Paris and France is far more extensive than the United States - the museums etc. are going to reflect their culture. Which is one of the best things about traveling: learning about the history and ways of different countries :rolleyes:

Er - the history and culture in the western hemisphere is a bit older and more extensive than anywhere in western europe post Roman influence ;) .

chichen.jpg

1ec98c7159174cb4857f623f5e85892c.jpg

Yes I know Del, er Brad - I was talking about Paris as that was what you brought up and compared it to the history of the US.

Good point! Even if I were going to travel that far from home, I don't know of anything in Paris that I couldn't probably see here in the states; like museums and statues and stuff like that. Vegas even has a mini Eiffel tower that you can actually ride up to the top in.

Why not just go to the Epcot Center at Disney World in Orlando, FL? That way you're saved the trouble of never even having to leave the country and you get to see an incredible simulation of landmarks from around the world. Having seen the Eiffel Tower in person back in 1972, I'll opt for the real thing myself.

epcot1979.jpg

Er - I'm Brad nice to meet you Ninelives.

I don't think there is any comparison to the United States in regard to Paris. Paris is a city and the United States is a great nation.

Yeah right Del _ you're fooling no one. I was comparing the HISTORY of each in the sense of the United States having less, being a younger nation than Paris which is a much older city. Out :slapface:

I'd love to visit Ireland again someday, and maybe even England. But I'm still not sure if I want to risk it right now with the current troubles over in London.... well, really across the whole country. Seems like a lot of bad blood running just under the surface of things. For now I'm just going to spend my vacation dollars here at home. No point in paying all those airline fees, and besides, the flight over to the London is such a killer from here on the west coast.

cheers,

Mr. Hamilton.

If my wife runs off then maybe Ill consider a one way ticket to Paris.

Uh no, what she's saying is that Paris, being a medieval city and several centuries older than the United States, has a lot more history than we do. That is not the same as saying European cities have better history than the United States, or that European countries/cities are better than the United States.

It helps to read, Del Brad.

I have watched as the sun went down

I have crashed as the room spun around

Now she's gone, she can't be found

And I'm down where I've been before

Sat and watched as she walked out the door

Can't explain why the woman's so

It's gonna rain some more

Somebody told me the last word they heard her say was England

Somebody said that she mentioned the airline and the fare

Now I wonder if she's there

'Cause she took every cent of mine

Paid it all to the Pan Am line

Though she's gone, I hope she's fine

Fly love of mine

Somebody told me the last word they heard her say was England

Somebody said that she mentioned the airline and the fare

Now I wonder if she's there

So tally-ho

Jolly good show

My woman's gone to England

That is actually a good idea especially for Americans on a travel budget. For one you don't have to mess with all the annoying TSA inspections, but you also have a "taste" of the world right here in your backyard. And since at the EPCOT world pavilion everything is so close; if you don't like one of the nation's showcases, it's just a short walk over to another showcase that you do like.

When we were at EPCOT I especially liked the German showcase and the Canadian showcase but mostly because of the food. We had a great German buffet for lunch and then a steak dinner in the Canada showcase later. Afterward I felt like a real world traveler without ever having to leave the safety of the United States.

And I'm not just kidding about this. I strongly recommend visiting EPCOT before making other big travel plans, if only to get a feel for the nations that you might want to visit later. Plus you can't beat Disney for good family fun,

cheers,

Brad

Edited to add:

realizing now that this is very much off topic from the thread, sorry. However if Disney ever put park somewhere in England I think it would really popular. Especially if they made a really cool casltle with knights and princesses and stuff like that. Are there any theme parks in England right now?

cheers

I was at Epcot many years ago. Think I paid ten bucks for a draft. Bullshit. Rip offf city. I dont mind paying high prices in a tourist trap but being financially raped is another thing. They can take Epcot. I would rather go to the real place for those prices. I think I ate in Mexico. I was their with the ex strife. Maybe that is another reason the memories of it are not so good. I preferred Universal Studios to Disney anyway.

• 1 year later...

Archived