tape/cdr/pressed cd /EVSP/Beezlebub/Antrabata does it matter?

Guest WD52

I listened to a cdr copy of Deep Striker in my car today and it got me musing about collecting...I don't really mind what format or bootleg producer, i just like hearing the music.  Am I alone in this? 

I listened to a cdr copy of Deep Striker in my car today and it got me musing about collecting...I don't really mind what format or bootleg producer, i just like hearing the music.  Am I alone in this? 

Hi 'WD52'. How's it going?

Beelzebub and it's CD-r's sound just as good to me, and sometimes better than some of the silvers from Empress Valley.

You're not alone. It's all about the music and how it sounds to your ears. Given the choice of an mp3 or flac, I will choose flac because it doesn't waste  room on a cd. I know I'm getting the most depth, but I can't really tell in listening. :lol:

Happy weekend to you. Rock On! :drinks:

Hi Zep Head-all good with me, hope you likewise. I'm all for the music rather than the format (but still can't resist 'upgrading' cdr to cd when I can), glad to hear I'm not alone on simply collecting the music rather than a medium :drinks:

Load an MP3 around 320 or so, or lower if you want, and then listen to it side by side with a high def wave file. The important part is not how much of a difference there is, sound wise, IMO, just in what the difference is. For me I admit that FLAC is best, mostly because a whole song sounds subconsciously better via flac, but the difference in sound quality exists. There are tests online and downloads online, and I seemed to be able to tell about 60%-65% of the time, but I can't speak for the accuracy of the random tests. I do prefer FLAC, and I prefer music in the highest quality possible. Because seeing a band live always sounds the best, and I want to be as close as possible to that sound.

Load an MP3 around 320 or so, or lower if you want, and then listen to it side by side with a high def wave file. The important part is not how much of a difference there is, sound wise, IMO, just in what the difference is. For me I admit that FLAC is best, mostly because a whole song sounds subconsciously better via flac, but the difference in sound quality exists. There are tests online and downloads online, and I seemed to be able to tell about 60%-65% of the time, but I can't speak for the accuracy of the random tests. I do prefer FLAC, and I prefer music in the highest quality possible. Because seeing a band live always sounds the best, and I want to be as close as possible to that sound.

Here's a few test samples:

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=storiesfromnpr

http://www.led-zep.info/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=530#p530

Depends what you play the file through I guess in the same way it depends what cd player you use? I can play a cd boot in a cheap system at work and it sounds nothing like when I play at home through my Musical Fidelity A5.5 cd player and Lumley Lampros speakers.

Archived