Jimmy Page Responds to Keith Richards

Strider

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Led Zeppelin disbanded nearly 40 years ago.

The Rolling Stones are about to launch another massive South American tour.

I think Mick Jagger said it best when he sung "Time is on my side, yet it is!"

^yes, and still, time is Led Zeppelin's biggest friend in terms of the point I believe Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 was making. When both are a distant memory in a few decades or so from now, Culturally, The Stones will be celebrated more.

But consuming the music because it remaining fresh and timeless/modern sounding, or at least holding something "new" or relevant to those distant future generations? Led Zeppelin all the way. I can imagine their legacy just growing and growing like mad.

3 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Rape and murder are always relevant.  :drumz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChONufP0FEs

That is indeed a crazy good song.

I have no doubt a few stones songs will remain AS fresh and relevant as the almost all Zeppelin offerings. I just think (from my completely biased viewpoint) Zeppelin will grow immensely when they are "legend" (history)

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Mick trains like a world class athlete. He and Keith will be just fine.

Ooooh! Well, aren't we thorough! :P 

But surely, even the fittest of athletes, especially the old(er) ones, need at least an occasional nap, just to let all the excitement die down? ;)

I also hope that old Mick isn't thinking of attending any soccer matches that involve Argentina! :drumz:

IMG.jpg

2 hours ago, rm2551 said:

^yes, and still, time is Led Zeppelin's biggest friend in terms of the point I believe Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 was making. When both are a distant memory in a few decades or so from now, Culturally, The Stones will be celebrated more.

But consuming the music because it remaining fresh and timeless/modern sounding, or at least holding something "new" or relevant to those distant future generations? Led Zeppelin all the way. I can imagine their legacy just growing and growing like mad.

Many thanks for summarizing my post, perfectly! Cheers! :beer: 

On February 2, 2016 at 9:43 PM, Patrycja said:

Stones can have their radio friendly, familiar song structure format (and don't get me wrong, I like them) to get you through a car ride, but epic Zep masterpieces make you pull over and listen. Forever captivating, hypnotic, layered, and so unpredictable. Each a completely different journey. I feel that these songs are still ahead of their time

:yesnod:

On February 2, 2016 at 10:06 PM, Mithril46 said:

Richards speaks nonsensically far too often. However, as a few have mentioned, the Stones by any standard have

probably 50 + excellent to great songs both from the 60's and 70's. Modern corporate rock radio has created a

situation where even the greatest rock bands basically have 8 to 10 songs played over and over. The Stones have

many classics that I have not heard for at least 25 to 30 years. The Beatles are still played all over because even if

they were innovating, much of their output still had pop undertones, hence non-rock stations often play them.

And forget about Richards being just a "good" guitar player; he rarely made a mistake live, jammed often with blues

and R&B greats onstage with no rehearsal, and used a battery of alternate tunings to customize his work.

Rarely made a mistake live? Are you kidding? Kieth has always been one hell of a sloppy player, even when restricted to the simple, three chord structure of most Stones songs. Mick Taylor was the Stones saving grace at the time and Woodie fills in pretty well (though not a guitarist like Mick). Kieth Richards is without doubt a great songwriter and the Stones have some of rocks best songs, that being said, Kieth is a shitty guitarist.

I agree though that many Stones songs have not held up well, nor has just about all Beatles songs pre-Rubber Soul IMO. I can listen to songs like Angie, Gimmie Shelter, Tumbling Dice, and Sympathy for the Devil forever, but I would still say a good 60+ % of their catalog sounds dated and will not last the test of time. Still, 40% of a catalog written in the 60's & 70's still sounding fresh is damn impressive.

It is a shame Kieth has to act the impetuous child like this as he is legend and part of one of the greatest songwriting teams in history. For him to shit on other bands really makes no sense

35 minutes ago, middlezep said:

Page should respond to keith, he should respond to keith, this is absolute blasphemy on the led zeppelin name....

He did. Page handled it perfectly. I would guess he couldn't care less what Richards thinks. 

5 hours ago, The Rover 75 said:

I'm not so sure about Keef, Steve. Have you seen his documentary that has been floating around on cable outlets? He doesn't look so good.

Keith will be ok for South America, but I agree there is every reason to be concerned about how much longer he can continue to tour.

20 minutes ago, the chase said:

He did. Page handled it perfectly. I would guess he couldn't care less what Richards thinks. 

Let's not forget they've worked together quite amicably in the studio many times. Keith just doesn't dig Led Zeppelin's music.

17 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

This is in response to Walter's and Patricia's posts in particular (with whom I most wholeheartedly agree!) and to all other posters who are engaging in the whole Zep vs. Stones debate (with regard to whose music will stand the test of time). 

Here's how I feel about the matter. 

I am a very casual fan of The Rolling Stones (my dad is the one who is nuts about them, while my mom, on the other hand, can't stand them!).

Back when I was 17, there was something so exciting when I listened to songs like The Last Time, Jumping Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man, Brown Sugar and Gimme Shelter, for the first time. But that was 11 years ago. Nowadays, if I am being very honest, there are times when I feel so bored when I re-visit those songs. These songs sound so dated! The only albums that I seem to be enjoying at the moment are Exile On Main Street and England's Newest Hitmakers (since I'm a blues buff). 

When it comes to Led Zeppelin, well, it is a completely different story! I crave to listen to songs like Tea for One, Achilles Last Stand, The Battle of Evermore, Stairway To Heaven, The Rain Song, Carouselambra, Kashmir, In My Time of Dying, Bring It On Home (which by the way, happens to be the ringtone on my phone), (and so many many more!!!) even today , as much as I did when I first really began exploring the band's catalog seriously, when I was 16. I first discovered Led Zeppelin, thanks to my dad and my dentist (it's a long story :lol: ) when I was 12 and began exploring the music, in depth when I was 16.

Why?

Because almost all songs by Zep have the power to take the listener by the collar and shake them and smack them HARD!! I mean, anyone young, old or middle-aged will be gobsmacked and awe-struck when they listen to the mighty Led Zeppelin (either as a newbie or as a veteran)! With Jimmy's timeless and blazing guitar riffs, Robert's incredible and out of this world vocal abilities (there were times when I thought that he wasn't from this planet!), the magic of JPJ's bass and synths and of course, the THUNDEROUS Bonzo! Not to mention the band's innate ability to tell a fascinating story in so many songs, all conveyed through beautifully crafted lyrics! 

Is it any wonder then, that future generations will continue to appreciate and love Led Zeppelin as time passes by, while The Stones  as 'culturally important' as they may seem, will eventually fall by the way side? I don't mean to offend anyone, but at the same time, I would like to say that no matter what anyone says, I will never change my mind about this! :P 

All in all, time is and will be one Led Zeppelin's biggest friends, but will serve to be the biggest foe of The Rolling Stones! Again, just my two cents. :peace: 

Edited to add: A few friends of mine from Vietnam, Malaysia and South Korea, whose music tastes were completely different from mine, marveled at the magic of Led Zeppelin, when I played albums like Led Zeppelin I, Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin III, IV, Physical Graffiti and Presence, one day while celebrating a friend's birthday (I was in charge of the music! ;) ). I also played a few albums by The Stones and let's just say that they all wanted to listen to Led Zeppelin, again! B) 

Oh and another friend of mine, who used to be obsessed with 'artists' like Demi Lovato, Taylor Swift and Jason Mraz :blink: , is now a huge fan of Queen, Rush and Led Zeppelin (all thanks to her cool older brother, to a certain extent myself and of course, her dad). Her dad and brother are massive Stones fans too, but to this day, she remains pretty blasé, about the kind of music that Jagger and Co., produced!

So basically you're saying ..... "Tiiiiiiiiime is on Zeppelin's side? Yes, it is!"! ;) 

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Keith will be ok for South America, but I agree there is every reason to be concerned about how much longer he can continue to tour.

Let's not forget they've worked together quite amicably in the studio many times. Keith just doesn't dig Led Zeppelin's music.

Agreed. I think Page knows Richards respects him, but doesn't care too much what he thinks about LZ. 

On 2/2/2016 at 10:22 AM, Walter said:

That's close to the point I was making.  The Stones have reigned as one of the top bands since the 60's, but their fan base is dwindling because their music is very dated.  Zeppelin on the other hand, continues to get waves upon waves of new fans and their music does not sound dated, with a few exceptions.  Whenever I wear a Zeppelin shirt, I always get comments from younger fans.  Whenever I wear a Stones shirt, comments only come from older than me fans.  Never from younger.   

Yes and evidence in addition to yours keeps surfacing. Scorsese uses Stones songs to succinctly position scenes for viewers. These scenes capture an era or movement or sweeping mood. That has its purpose and it's valid. When Jimmy was in Toronto to promote his book, I was surprised at how many young fans there were in the line-up, and at how young and knowledgeable and passionate they were. 

Stones are of a time; Led Zeppelin transcends it.

Richards speaks nonsensically far too often. However, as a few have mentioned, the Stones by any standard have

probably 50 + excellent to great songs both from the 60's and 70's. Modern corporate rock radio has created a

situation where even the greatest rock bands basically have 8 to 10 songs played over and over. The Stones have

many classics that I have not heard for at least 25 to 30 years. The Beatles are still played all over because even if

they were innovating, much of their output still had pop undertones, hence non-rock stations often play them.

And forget about Richards being just a "good" guitar player; he rarely made a mistake live, jammed often with blues

and R&B greats onstage with no rehearsal, and used a battery of alternate tunings to customize his work.

8 minutes ago, Mithril46 said:

^ You wrote the same post a few posts up... :blink:

Well if this isn't some malfunction I hope whatever or whomever is creating chaos at least gets some laughs or satisfaction

out of it. Then again some of the iPad updates have kinks or bugs so if my further communication is erratic, I really

don't know if this is malevolent or gremlins in my Pad.

11 hours ago, Patrycja said:

Yes and evidence in addition to yours keeps surfacing. Scorsese uses Stones songs to succinctly position scenes for viewers. These scenes capture an era or movement or sweeping mood. That has its purpose and it's valid. When Jimmy was in Toronto to promote his book, I was surprised at how many young fans there were in the line-up, and at how young and knowledgeable and passionate they were. 

Stones are of a time; Led Zeppelin transcends it.

Agree with this so much Patrycja! They spoke with fans at that event and chose what looked
like 2 teenaged girls. They were so appreciative for what Jimmy and L Z had brought to the
table as far as the music goes. There were all ages obviously there, but very cool that they
spoke with younger fans and put them on the clip.

Ooh and on Twitter, Tumblr and Instagram, I can't tell you how many L Z fans I come across
that are under 25.  They've definitely captured a lot of young kids who love their music.  And
not music related - but their L Z sigils for the members for some reason almost get worn in a
fashion sense like a name brand designer logo does.  Probably not what the band had in mind,
Ha-ha it's still people wearing their "brand/product". It's an attraction to younger people which I
am sure the band members admire.

I'm a Stones FANATIC............but..............."KEITH YOU ARE 70 YEAR OLD WASHED UP JUNKIE,THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES ,NOW PLEASE GET YOURSELF IN A RETIREMENT HOME AND CHANGE YOUR DIAPERS"

Archived