2016 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL THREAD

SuperDave

On Saturday, January 16, 2016 at 7:51 AM, LedZeppfan77 said:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14580503/chris-davis-agrees-deal-remain-baltimore-orioles

Chris Davis has signed on the dotted line and will stay in Baltimore!!!   $161 million dollar contract.  I think 7 years.    Love it

Really? You don't think it's too much money for too many years? How old is Chris Davis? At least it's not the size of Albert Pujols.

On Wednesday, January 20, 2016 at 9:44 AM, paul carruthers said:

^^ Bullpen is the Tiger's issue every year, is it not?

I believe Cespedes is still dangling out there on the free market--

Hell, every team has bullpen issues, hehe. AL Central definitely looking beastly...perhaps more than the AL East.

As for Cespedes, we kept hearing the Angels were interested in him but so far, nothing. Not sure I want the Angels to get him after his flameout in the playoffs.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:21 AM, LedZeppfan77 said:

What about your bullpen pal?

We traded for Francisco K-rod Rodriquez from the Brewers, Justin Wilson from the Yanks, and Mark Lowe came from free-agency.  Hopefully they can make a difference. 

I like the Upton signing for depth reasons.  Knocks someone to the bench that can run and situationally pinch hit.  Something we sorely needed.

50 minutes ago, Strider said:

Hell...Florida...same thing. Eat it, pc and Walter, hahaha. :P

If this is Hell, I'm stayin'! ;)  Except for this weekend, I'm going south!  52 with 24mph winds!  F THAT!!!! 

Mapping out our spring training plans too.  Pretty soon there will no longer be teams in the Central Florida area! :( 

Houston is leaving and after next year, Atlanta is too....

7 hours ago, Walter said:

If this is Hell, I'm stayin'! ;)  Except for this weekend, I'm going south!  52 with 24mph winds!  F THAT!!!! 

Mapping out our spring training plans too.  Pretty soon there will no longer be teams in the Central Florida area! :( 

Houston is leaving and after next year, Atlanta is too....

Leaving for where? Arizona? That's a damn shame. It still rubs me the wrong way the way the Dodgers left Vero Beach...and I'm not even a fan.

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Leaving for where? Arizona? That's a damn shame. It still rubs me the wrong way the way the Dodgers left Vero Beach...and I'm not even a fan.

I think Houston is going east.  Are they going to share West Palm with the Nats?  

Not sure about Atlanta.  I can't imagine them going to Arizona though.  And you're so right about Vero Beach.  That was the best!

Yes, Vero Beach "Dodgertown" was the best!  Sitting on top of the grass hill outfield fence area was the best as a kid!  Saw Reggie Jackson, Billy Martin, and Tommy Lasorda, etc there back in the day.  

Atlanta doesn't have any place to go, yet.  They just can't stay here because there won't be any other team in the area to play.  Houston is leaving Kissimmee after this spring.  So are the Nats in Viera.  

On 1/21/2016 at 6:29 PM, Bong-Man said:

We traded for Francisco K-rod Rodriquez from the Brewers, Justin Wilson from the Yanks, and Mark Lowe came from free-agency.  Hopefully they can make a difference. 

I like the Upton signing for depth reasons.  Knocks someone to the bench that can run and situationally pinch hit.  Something we sorely needed.

I saw your sig, your Zepp experience.  April 30 1977.  so I saw them exactly one month later on May 30th in Landover  Back to baseball, your bullpen sucks and you will have to win games 8-7, and if we do not make any moves, we may be in just as much trouble with our starters.  But I expect them to make some kind of moves unless they are banking on guys like Bundy and the other kid that came up and did pretty well making a splash?  Tillman must do better and I know Gausman is going to have a big year.  We need to go out and get a big name pitcher.  As for bullpen, I wonder if Andy Miller has been picked up by anyone yet?  I hear from a Red Sox friend they could lose their Japanese stud?  

This is my first post for this 2016 MLB topic and it, of course, is regarding the "Mighty" Saint Louis Cardinals. 

I read a couple a days ago in a magazine devoted to the 2016 Major League Baseball and all the MLB teams and the magazine had to say this about the Saint Louis Cardinals: 

"The Saint Louis Cardinals would not be the Saint Louis Cardinals if the Cardinals did not make it to the Post-Season every year and the Saint Louis Cardinals have made it to the Post-Season 5 years in a row".

With a World Series Championship in 2011 and another World Series appearance in 2013, there is hardly a team in all of baseball that can beat or match this except for the San Francisco Giants.  At least since the year 2000.  And as much as I despise the San Francisco Giants, I have tremendous respect for them. 

The Saint Louis Cardinals are one of the best and most respected professional teams in the history of professional sports (and that is a fact and not just my opinion). 

I have no doubt that the Saint Louis Cardinals will continue to dominate the National League Central again this soon to be 2016 baseball season and be in the playoffs and the 2016 World Series.  This is something that every Saint Louis Cardinals fans expect.  If, for any and whatever reason this fails to happen this season, I still have faith the Saint Louis Cardinals will always be a heavy favorite to win it ALL in the future.  This is a claim that not many MLB teams can make or bolster about, year after year.  The Saint Louis Cardinals are an exception and will always be a winning and very classy and respectful Organization. 

2 minutes ago, kingzoso said:

This is my first post for this 2016 MLB topic and it, of course, is regarding the "Mighty" Saint Louis Cardinals. 

I read a couple a days ago in a magazine devoted to the 2016 Major League Baseball and all the MLB teams and the magazine had to say this about the Saint Louis Cardinals: 

"The Saint Louis Cardinals would not be the Saint Louis Cardinals if the Cardinals did not make it to the Post-Season every year and the Saint Louis Cardinals have made it to the Post-Season 5 years in a row".

With a World Series Championship in 2011 and another World Series appearance in 2013, there is hardly a team in all of baseball that can beat or match this except for the San Francisco Giants.  At least since the year 2000.  And as much as I despise the San Francisco Giants, I have tremendous respect for them. 

The Saint Louis Cardinals are one of the best and most respected professional teams in the history of professional sports (and that is a fact and not just my opinion). 

I have no doubt that the Saint Louis Cardinals will continue to dominate the National League Central again this soon to be 2016 baseball season and be in the playoffs and the 2016 World Series.  This is something that every Saint Louis Cardinals fans expect.  If, for any and whatever reason this fails to happen this season, I still have faith the Saint Louis Cardinals will always be a heavy favorite to win it ALL in the future.  This is a claim that not many MLB teams can make or bolster about, year after year.  The Saint Louis Cardinals are an exception and will always be a winning and very classy and respectful Organization. 

This is why the stupid folks in Vegas have the Cubs as the favorites to win it all.  Madden took them to the NLCS the first year he had them.  He beat your Cardinals and will again.  This time he will get them to the Series.  I believe it.  As for baseball, I am not yet in the mood as its early Feb.  And many moves yet to be made.  Nobody can match the Yankees if you want to talk history like you are.  Are you going to compare your damn red birds, which I love the real birds, just not the St louis ones, to the Yankees?

4 minutes ago, LedZeppfan77 said:

This is why the stupid folks in Vegas have the Cubs as the favorites to win it all.  Madden took them to the NLCS the first year he had them.  He beat your Cardinals and will again.  This time he will get them to the Series.  I believe it.  As for baseball, I am not yet in the mood as its early Feb.  And many moves yet to be made.  Nobody can match the Yankees if you want to talk history like you are.  Are you going to compare your damn red birds, which I love the real birds, just not the St louis ones, to the Yankees?

I will say this:

The New York Yankees have the most World Series Championships in the history of the sport of baseball.  27, I believe (I know I could easily look it up but I choose not to, at this moment). 

The Saint Louis Cardinals are very far behind them, but the Saint Louis Cardinals have the second most World Series Championship with 11. 

No disrespect intended to any other baseball fan who posts on this baseball topic, but what other team can beat or match the 11 World Series Championships that the Saint Louis Cardinals have? 

Certainly not the Orioles, Cubs, Pirates, Dodgers, Mariners, Red Sox, etc..

I know that you would love a Chicago Cubs versus the Baltimore Orioles 2016 World Series and I admit that that would be an interesting series but, like I said, love them or hate them, the Saint Louis Cardinals can never be counted out.  You have to at least admit this.  Regardless of whatever differences we have had in the past, I implore you to at least admit the Saint Louis Cardinals are a team to fear and give proper and due acknowledge as such regarding a team of such a winning and noble stature.

I would give the Baltimore Orioles such props, but they haven't had the same level of success as the Saint Louis Cardinals.  Am I wrong in my assessment? 

On February 3, 2016 at 7:32 AM, kingzoso said:

I will say this:

The New York Yankees have the most World Series Championships in the history of the sport of baseball.  27, I believe (I know I could easily look it up but I choose not to, at this moment). 

The Saint Louis Cardinals are very far behind them, but the Saint Louis Cardinals have the second most World Series Championship with 11. 

No disrespect intended to any other baseball fan who posts on this baseball topic, but what other team can beat or match the 11 World Series Championships that the Saint Louis Cardinals have? 

Certainly not the Orioles, Cubs, Pirates, Dodgers, Mariners, Red Sox, etc..

I know that you would love a Chicago Cubs versus the Baltimore Orioles 2016 World Series and I admit that that would be an interesting series but, like I said, love them or hate them, the Saint Louis Cardinals can never be counted out.  You have to at least admit this.  Regardless of whatever differences we have had in the past, I implore you to at least admit the Saint Louis Cardinals are a team to fear and give proper and due acknowledge as such regarding a team of such a winning and noble stature.

I would give the Baltimore Orioles such props, but they haven't had the same level of success as the Saint Louis Cardinals.  Am I wrong in my assessment? 

In recent years no,  they have had success, but the great teams the Orioles had I would take over any St Louis team ever.  I mean the team with 4 20 game winners and Brooks Robinson.   Jim Palmer was better than any pitcher you had and Gibson is the only one that is close.   The Cubs will win the NL IMO.  We will see

• 2 weeks later...

Where I work I am able to read any and all magazines that are currently "on the newsstand" when there is a lull in operations.  I have been reading 3 different current mags about the 2016 Major League Baseball season and all three of them have pretty much said the same thing and that thing is this:

Never bet against the Saint Louis Cardinals and never ever count them out because, despite any injuries or rough patches they may have, the Saint Louis Cardinals are a team that knows how to win and win big despite any adversity.  It only takes the past five years to prove that the editors are very correct in their acknowledgement of such fact. 

Love them or hate them, the Saint Louis Cardinals are and will always be a team to be feared and respected.  That is why I have high hopes for them year after year, regardless if the Redbirds make it to the World Series.  Just to consistently be winning team and the best in their National League Division is good enough for me...

... and that will not and cannot be said of over 75% of the Major League Baseball Teams.  It just so happens that my favorite baseball team, the Saint Louis Cardinals, happen to fall into the most prestigious category. 

I too Strider am with you regarding Tim Raines.

With Piazza taking four years to make the HOF is that so many from that era are under suspicion of whether they did or didn't use PEDs!  Especially, many power hitters. 

I think Piazza considers himself more of a Met than a Dodger as I think he enjoyed NY more.  Plus the 9/11 stuff too.  I was at that game when he hit that HR against Atlanta.  It was quite a feat and so electric at Shea when it happened!

The major media networks, and Vegas do indeed love the Cubbies chances to win it all this year.  I must say they have  a heck of a chance.  I am not ready to hand the Red Sox the AL East like many of the so called experts are.  But I am wondering what my team is doing to address the pitching now that Chen is gone also?  We have a good lineup.  Pitching will make us or break us.  Pretty soon someone can start another contest but I would say we are a month early at least.

Well, last season I don't know if there were any big expectations on the Metropolitans--all the "experts" had the Nats running away with the NL East. So, I'm left to wonder how the Mets will respond now that they are the prohibitive favorites to clinch the East again--having the best rotation of anybody in baseball. I would have to think if they can score a good amount of runs on the offensive side, things way go well again for the Mets...

Archived