Celebration Day - Eight Years Gone

Agreed!  My son and I were singing "Good Times Bad Times" as we rode into downtown this morning, after I informed him today was the anniversary of the show.  This is also my 8 year anniversary of officially joining this awesome community.  

8 years ago today, the mighty Zeppelin took flight once again! :) 

:thumbsup: 

Another year! Per tradition (well, at least since year 5) I've put C' Day DVD on and relived the night.

My other enjoyable LZ experience this year (utilizing the USB audio input on my upgraded vehicle and having loaded a "high rotation" drive) was twice on long trips listening to the studio tracks in order from GTBT to I'm Gonna Crawl. Very rewarding!  

• 2 months later...

I just re-watched it again. I'm a huge Page-Zep fan, and I'm glad they did it. But I was disappointed in Jimmy's playing. He made no attempt to pull off those blistering solo's from the past. It's quite alright if he no longer has the chops he once had. Hell, it's been a few years. And it sounds as if he just  stomped on the O/D pedal and left it cranked up all night. His playing just sounded so flat and mundane, when compared to his playing from the earlier days.  Oh well...

• 2 weeks later...
On February 27, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Kiron Kid said:

I just re-watched it again. I'm a huge Page-Zep fan, and I'm glad they did it. But I was disappointed in Jimmy's playing. He made no attempt to pull off those blistering solo's from the past. It's quite alright if he no longer has the chops he once had. Hell, it's been a few years. And it sounds as if he just  stomped on the O/D pedal and left it cranked up all night. His playing just sounded so flat and mundane, when compared to his playing from the earlier days.  Oh well...

Did Page play it safe? Of course he did, and for good reason. They practiced the shit outta this gig and it shows. The whole gig is pretty nearly flawless, Jimmy makes almost no mistakes and is in no way sloppy, in fact he is overly tight this night. His solo's were all very well rehearsed and he stuck to that formula. They wanted to go out on top in a positive light and they did in spades. Now if they would have went on tour we would have seen a very, very different band. Jimmy would have been improvising and the tight but loose mentality brought back. Unfortunately this was not meant to be.

On 2/27/2016 at 5:44 AM, Kiron Kid said:

I agree with you. The best songs of the night were Kashmir, For you Life and those that didn't rely on him being a virtuoso, a la 1968-73. 

Unfortunately he hasn't had the fluency since 1973.

Page has tried to wing it twice before at Live Aid and, to an extent, The Atlantic Reunion and both were awful.

I think it was the best Page could have done on the night. Sadly, he just isn't as good as he was in the early '70s. 

• 1 year later...

Well, the idea that they rehearsed so much is all well and good, but i can tell you from my own hands that there is nothing like doing a bunch of dates, it is just so much more demanding to take it out in public, and it builds the stamina and pads.  The other thing is the detuned guitars to accommodate a natural reduction in range by Plant.  Again, when you do this a lot, your ear and your hands work together in ways that are extremely hard to change if you always played in concert pitch.  Plus, you are typically going to have to increase the string gauge, and that also messes with the feel of things.   I think some nerves were also involved, in the past he had a reputation for some rather strong doses of whatever he thought might keep him steady.  It isn't like they came off a tour and now play a show recorded for posterity, etc.  The other thing that sort of hit me was how he seemed to become an old person overnight, it wasn't that long ago that he did some shows with the Black Crowes that appeared on Youtube.   He almost looks ill, that kind of flop sweat omigod i am going to keel over from a heart attack.  I cut this last year at age 60, Jimmy was just a few years older in 2007, one take on all the instruments, my buddy Pete put some words to it and on- passed the vocal.  Hope I die before i get old, but so far i haven't.....hahahahaha.    And Jimmy can do no wrong anyway, we are just lucky to be able to hear him play, in his prime or whenever....    https://goo.gl/photos/aTt65isbP6RxEU9x5

• 1 month later...

I watched it again...,and over time i appreciate the controlled intensity more and more. Its like a different band...and that it was.  They could have had a whole second career and life as artists. 

Archived