Copenhagen 24.07.79 Oh yes!!

Crimson Avenger

11 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I thought horse was the problem, not the solution. Maybe something a little more "up" That night?

Horse is the solution when you're hooked on it. Why do you think Jimmy played better in Copenhagen and L.A. in those days than elsewhere? It's because he was getting good quality goods. When you are getting bad shit or nothing at all, that's when your body gets sick and you suffer withdrawals and that is when Jimmy's playing suffered.

Obviously it is better not to become a heroin addict, but once you are, it's the only way your body can survive. So the nights your body gets the craving it needs, those are the nights it will be able to function.

Good cities with good heroin equals a good concert. Those cities without will get a more erratic performance. It happened with Jimmy Page, Keith Richards, Johnny Thunders, Dave Navarro, and countless other horseheads.

• 5 months later...
On 12/14/2015 at 4:31 PM, Sathington Willoughby said:

Conneyfogle has the first 9 songs uploaded, best I've heard on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL22E68779B35677F1

^Full playlist. 

Thanks for posting these. Does anyone know which version/release of this show Conneyfogle used for these videos? I recently downloaded a vinyl transfer of the Geiko-Sukui LP and these videos have more bottom end (which is a godsend when you're talking about a recording like this).

Don't know what version the YouTube ones are, but IMHO the best-sounding version of the 7/24 Copenhagen show is a fan remaster done in 2016 or 2017. If it's circulating, it likely will be called the Pseudonym remaster. This remaster is not extreme, but rather tastefully done and remedies (or at least improves) all the original sources' shortcomings remarkably well. It brings a little more presence to counter the super-echoey hall ambience (apparently the 24th was taped from the balcony while the 23rd was taped closer, from the floor). It provides a bit more low-end oomph and overall frequency balance. And it somewhat tames the clackety-clack of Jones' alembic bass. Highly recommended.

Edited by tmtomh

16 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Don't know what version the YouTube ones are, but IMHO the best-sounding version of the 7/24 Copenhagen show is a fan remaster done in 2016 or 2017. If it's circulating, it likely will be called the Pseudonym remaster. This remaster is not extreme, but rather tastefully done and remedies (or at least improves) all the original sources' shortcomings remarkably well. It brings a little more presence to counter the super-echoey hall ambience (apparently the 24th was taped from the balcony while the 23rd was taped closer, from the floor). It provides a bit more low-end oomph and overall frequency balance. And it somewhat tames the clackety-clack of Jones' alembic bass. Highly recommended.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for it. Thanks!

On 12/11/2015 at 12:38 AM, Nutrocker said:

Give me the July 24 '79 Copenhagen show over either of the Knebworth performances any day of the week, and twice on Sundays!

LFZ !!!!

A future release, sometime in the next 10 years!! Hope so.

Edited by The Rover

On 2/2/2016 at 2:15 AM, Nutrocker said:

The band probably disregarded -or forgot- about the Copenhagen gigs because they considered them to be live rehearsals, and not necessarily the 'intimate club gigs' us fans consider them to be.

I attended a live dress rehearsal once.... in Dallas, on April 1st, 1977.

Edited by The Rover

1 hour ago, The Rover said:

I attended a live dress rehearsal once.... in Dallas, on April 1st, 1977.

Yes, give us the scoop, the skinny, the 411 !!! From what I have heard this was actually a pretty damn fine show, then again, my sources were likely stoned out of their gourd at the time.

Anyway, for a "live rehearsal", 24-7-79 was one of their top 10 shows and the best show post-77'.

6 hours ago, tmtomh said:

+1 Sue's remaster is tops.

Edited by johnlennon696

6 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Incredible! Can you share your memories of that experience? Maybe in a new thread? 

5 hours ago, IpMan said:

Yes, give us the scoop, the skinny, the 411 !!! From what I have heard this was actually a pretty damn fine show, then again, my sources were likely stoned out of their gourd at the time.

Anyway, for a "live rehearsal", 24-7-79 was one of their top 10 shows and the best show post-77'.

5 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Were there cameras there?

I've posted previously on this forum that a source, close to SHOWCO, told me he viewed 20-minutes of high quality rehearsal footage from 1977.

Come on guys... I said that tongue-in-cheek.

April 1st was the first date of their rescheduled NA Tour.

They were rusty, Page not having picked up a guitar for month.

So it was "like" a dress rehearsal. It was a very "average" performance --- for Led Zeppelin....

Plant even jokingly said at one point... "Welcome to our rehearsal!"

Cameras... No, at the April 1st gig, there no cameras... Just Neal Preston snapping photos, for the '77 Tour Book that would be printed a little later.

When the band all came out front for the acoustic set, and started Battle of Evermore, the volume for Jimmy's guitar wasn't loud enough. I yelled out from my 10th row seat "LOUDER"... and then once again, "LOUDER." I then saw Robert look to his right, and motion with his right hand, index finger pointed up, to raise Jimmy's volume. And Jimmy's guitar volume was raised.

I believe the band rehearsed in England before the expected start of the '77 tour, originally due to being on Feb. 27th in Ft. Worth.

I saw the rescheduled Ft. Worth and Houston shows, and they were no rehearsals. They were both excellent shows to be at!!

Edited by The Rover

10 hours ago, The Rover said:

Come on guys... I said that tongue-in-cheek.

April 1st was the first date of their rescheduled NA Tour.

They were rusty, Page not having picked up a guitar for month.

So it was "like" a dress rehearsal. It was a very "average" performance --- for Led Zeppelin....

Plant even jokingly said at one point... "Welcome to our rehearsal!"

Cameras... No, at the April 1st gig, there no cameras... Just Neal Preston snapping photos, for the '77 Tour Book that would be printed a little later.

When the band all came out front for the acoustic set, and started Battle of Evermore, the volume for Jimmy's guitar wasn't loud enough. I yelled out from my 10th row seat "LOUDER"... and then once again, "LOUDER." I then saw Robert look to his right, and motion with his right hand, index finger pointed up, to raise Jimmy's volume. And Jimmy's guitar volume was raised.

I believe the band rehearsed in England before the expected start of the '77 tour, originally due to being on Feb. 27th in Ft. Worth.

I saw the rescheduled Ft. Worth and Houston shows, and they were no rehearsals. They were both excellent shows to be at!!

Boy am I a sucker!  Ha....very cool story though!

• 3 months later...

Great gig. without a doubt; I'll still take the 1st Knebworth--sometimes it enhances the experience to actually see them onstage. That being said, I won't be too burnt up about people liking these 2 shows better....

:D

'

Edited by paul carruthers

• 5 months later...
On 9/11/2017 at 3:55 AM, rm2551 said:

hey all, what are the best songs from the 24th? Any that are among best ever? (sorry - no doubt covered already)

There was a version of this on YouTube that had mercilessly been split into 2 parts. I learned how to use an editing program a few weeks ago so I could splice them together and give it the dignity it deserves. There is a couple seconds missing but not much. I have yet to hear music better than this gem. Like others in this thread I also bought the album in the early 80's with rent money I "shouldn't" have spent ($60). I actually bought it off of someone who is now a little bit famous...Marc Emery...the Canadian "Prince of Pot". The guy most heavily responsible for getting weed legalized in Canada last month. He was in his early 20's back then and ran a used clothing and record store called The Layman House, in London, Ontario.

• 8 months later...
On 12/11/2015 at 1:57 AM, Strider said:

I heard the July 24 1979 Copenhagen Warm-ups before I heard anything from the Knebworth Festival, so this was one fan who definitely didn't write off 1979 when it came to Led Zeppelin. It was the summer of 1981 in a record shop in the tiny town of Killeen, Texas where I bought the bootleg "copenhagen warm-ups - the second night" triple-vinyl release by Geiko-Sukui of the July 24th show. Couldn't believe how good the show sounded when I played it that night.

Two months later, at the same record shop I found "Last Lead", a double-vinyl set from the Monomatapa label. Nothing on the packaging outside or inside gave any clue that this was August 4 Knebworth. In fact, the only clue it was a post-1977 concert was the inclusion of "Hot Dog" among the song titles listed on the back...all the other songs listed were older songs pre-1977. Being a double-album, it was not a complete concert, but listening to the record you could tell it was Knebworth, due to the sound and size of the audience. It sounded like a fairly decent show to me, too. 

So, with both those two bootleg records in my collection, I went along on my merry way through the 80s with the belief that 1979 was a good year for the band. It was not until the late 80s, when I first got a hold of the August 11 Knebworth VHS tape and some 1980 Euro tour boots, that I heard the unevenness that had seeped into the band's performances of that period.

Which store in Killeen? Wasn't "Renaissance", was it? 

On 7/27/2019 at 10:33 PM, Miinsane1971 said:

Which store in Killeen? Wasn't "Renaissance", was it? 

Ha! If only my memory could remember. Were they around in 1981-82? If so, then that's probably a "yes" as I doubt Killeen had more than one record shop. Austin yes...and then there was the PX at Ft. Hood, but they did not carry bootlegs.

10 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

No he hasn’t. Sue’s is bloody good though

That's odd. I went through my collection last night and found that I did have a Moonchild release of this show and that it says "Winston Remaster" on the cover. Of course, this wouldn't be the first time a bootleg label lied about its product.

ledzep-2dazzling-daze-mc1.jpg.a343a41e1a91a75029699cfab573144e.jpg

While we are on the subject of July 24, 1979 Copenhagen, as a change of pace I sometimes play Disc 2 first, then Disc 1 (or Sides 4-5-6-1-2-3 on my vinyl set) so that the concert starts with "White Summer-BMS-Kashmir" and ends with "Rain Song". It gives the show a different pacing. I imagine "Ten Years Gone" being the climax of the main set and "Hot Dog" and "Rain Song" being the encore.

4 hours ago, Strider said:

That's odd. I went through my collection last night and found that I did have a Moonchild release of this show and that it says "Winston Remaster" on the cover. Of course, this wouldn't be the first time a bootleg label lied about its product.

ledzep-2dazzling-daze-mc1.jpg.a343a41e1a91a75029699cfab573144e.jpg

If memory serves, Sue believed that their release was her remaster