led zeppelin and the osmonds?

sk8rat

On 9/10/2018 at 2:05 AM, Bozoso73 said:

I never knock people for their tastes but Im already in a foul mood so beat it troll and take your Osmonds toys and posters and catch the dam short bus out of town. . 

Oh and PS FWIW Led Zeppelin would have NEVER been caught dead putting that crap on a bill let alone on stage with them. . 

I never knock people for being rude when they honestly don't know what they are talking about. Thank you for proving my point Zep Head.  Led-Zeppelin and The Osmonds became cool friends over the years.  Most cool bands respect other cool bands when they realize they are master musicians and that is how Led Zeppelin, Ozzie and all the cool bands felt about the Osmonds who rocked.  In fact, it's cool how many recorded some of The OSMOND tunes, especially Crazy Horses which Ozzie Osbourne is quoted as saying "Crazy Horses is the best rock song ever written".

The toys were for the younger Osmonds.  A different band. Not you fault if you haven't heard them, Like my first note said the first 4 wanted to rock but upper management pushed them in the back.  Jimmy Page was a big fan of Wayne Osmonds playing, Jay Osmond was and still is on to the best drummers in the biz, etc.., etc.. I have some cool stories on tape discussing some very cool times when Led Zeppelin & the Osmonds would hang together. Sorry your in a foul mood dude, just kick back and enjoy the tunes and be happy!  It's all good Dude!

Wayne & Merrill Osmond.jpg

On 9/10/2018 at 2:37 AM, SymphonyX said:

every 4th Thursday thru Sunday on THE OSMOND HOUR

September 27th should be the 4th Thursday of the month.  Will there be discussion of Led Zeppelin ?

Thanks tor the question. There have been several shows regarding Led Zeppelin.  In fact The OSMONDS played a remake of a Led Zeppelin song. This month the show is having a contest allowing fans around the world pick the songs for the show so chances are there will be a lot of the bubble gum songs as the teenage girls loved those songs.  But, you gave me a great idea SymphonyX! (cool name by the way!)!  I will make a couple of calls to see if I can set up some interviews (An Hour With Led-Zeppelin & The Osmonds)!  Thank you SymphonyX!  If the show works out I will be sure and give you credit for the show idea and a copy of the show!

This sounds really interesting and would love to hear different stories.    It's kinda expected for people to jump on you and having only 1 post.   LOL, you basically entering a wolves den here and going to get ripped apart.

I saw one of your videos and it seems you're definitely a verified source when you have members of the Osmonds mentioning your name !!   This sounds really cool and fascinating.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 1:37 AM, SteveAJones said:

A single post newbie with no proof, what's not to believe?

Everyone was a "Newbie" at one time or another. I'm certainly not here to argue, I read several folks asking if it really happened or not so I posted to help solve the mystery once and for all.  I do have proof and will be happy to share.  I just need to convert the software so I can download it here. Have a great weekend!

Thank you Zep Head, you're cool.  I have no problem entering a lions den when I know the facts.  I am here to help, not be rude and call anyone names. Usually the ones who make childish rude comments are just insecure and frustrated because it' sucks to not know your music history.   In this case THE OSMONDS hanging out backstage with Led Zeppelin then being invited to join them on stage to perform a tune with them.  What many don't know is that it doesn't stop there.  The next night one of the members of Led Zeppelin went to THE OSMONDS concert.  I'll be happy to share more if anyone wants more facts. Peace.

I have some serious doubts about any stage collaboration.  I avidly followed LZ in real time and I never heard of this.  While I will acknowledge that press stories back then were a lot easier to control than they are today, what with social media and the just about anybody in the world being able to film/record/post about major events, I just can't see this even being one of those hidden (by Grant) stories.  The Osmonds were pretty big back then and the media were all over them.  Even for Zep, just about every sliver of mundane information about them has found its way into books, magazines, documentaries, interviews, etc., that this would surely have come out.

It didn't happen.

Defending your favorite band is under stable but, there is nothing to be ashamed of.  If you really heard the Osmonds perform, not just hear a bubble gum song on the radio and assume all Osmond songs sounded the same then you would know just how good they were.  Just because you never read it, doesn't mean that it didn't happen.  The Osmonds were fans of Zep and Zep were fans of The Osmonds. The Osmonds spent time back stage with Zep the last night of their gig in England (throwing frisbees) while waiting to go back onstage to perform an encore, when it was time to go back on stage Zep told The Osmonds "come on!" and The Osmonds joined Zep on stage.  The Osmonds performed the following night at the same venue using Zeps sound system and amps so they could be heard over the screaming fans. In fact, John Bonham took his son Jason to The Osmonds concert the following night.  It did happen.

2 hours ago, Osbro said:

Defending your favorite band is under stable but, there is nothing to be ashamed of.  If you really heard the Osmonds perform, not just hear a bubble gum song on the radio and assume all Osmond songs sounded the same then you would know just how good they were.  Just because you never read it, doesn't mean that it didn't happen.  The Osmonds were fans of Zep and Zep were fans of The Osmonds. The Osmonds spent time back stage with Zep the last night of their gig in England (throwing frisbees) while waiting to go back onstage to perform an encore, when it was time to go back on stage Zep told The Osmonds "come on!" and The Osmonds joined Zep on stage.  The Osmonds performed the following night at the same venue using Zeps sound system and amps so they could be heard over the screaming fans. In fact, John Bonham took his son Jason to The Osmonds concert the following night.  It did happen.

Wow, this thread is 3 years old!?? Looks like the Osmond's were in London in late May 75 and did play Earl's Court right after Zep. I don't disbelieve any of what you've said except that you claim Zep invited them onstage...however, there is no film footage, no photos and the bootlegs don't bear that out....so where is your proof?  🤔😕

On 10/17/2018 at 10:51 PM, porgie66 said:

.so where is your proof?

There is none. .The last 2 shows of EC are filmed and The Osmonds are nowhere to be found.  Do I believe they were fans and got preferential treatment backstage or great seats?  Sure.  Percy says before NQ on 5/25 that the Osmonds will be here next week but thats it.  I went on Osmondmania and it says nothing in the timeline about jamming or hanging out with LZ.    

1 minute ago, Bozoso73 said:

There is none. .The last 2 shows of EC are filmed and The Osmonds are nowhere to be found.  Do I believe they were fans and got preferential treatment backstage or great seats?  Sure.  Percy says before NQ on 5/25 that the Osmonds will be here next week but thats it.    

:thanku:

• 2 months later...

yeah but you can find it online. He tells a little story about being back and onstage with zep and bonham bringing his son to see them but seeing as there is absolutely no photographic evidence or audio of said encore I doubt it happened the way he remembers it.   If it happened the way he said it did one would think there should be a mountain of evidence.

From Osmaondmania timeline.

The Osmonds were in London on May 24th probably promoting their Single "The Proud One", then, they played France on the 26th. After that, they played Earls Court on the May 28th and 9th

On 10/13/2018 at 1:52 AM, Osbro said:

The next night one of the members of Led Zeppelin went to THE OSMONDS concert.

I am one of the people that can't understand why this is a thing for the Osmundites.  I own both the 24th and 25th on DVD.  There is a moment when RP says something about the Os being at Earls Court next week.  And that's it.  There is the video proof of each show that there is no one from the Os anywhere on that stage.  And if you are going to say the next night they were on stage, do your reasearch.  The very next night the Os were in PARIS. http://www.osmondmania.com/Timeline/1970s/1975.html  By the time the Os took the stage at EC on the 28th, my guess would be that 3 days after the last concert the boys in Zep had scattered back to their parts of England. Of course I could be wrong.  . Is there video of the Os at EC?? A SBD or AUD?  If there is proof don't just say it and not back it up.  Im not just gonna take the word of the Os drummer.  Sometimes people remember what they want to remember.    

What? I vividly remember both Donny & Marie Osmond singing STH with Robert at the 24th show. However Marie promptly ran off the stage when Jimmy produced a whip and Bonzo muttered something about a bit of the old in out, in out.

In other words, never happened. AS mentioned above there is too much complete documentation  of both the 24th & 25th to prove no such situation occurred. Now regarding a member from LZ joining the Osmond's onstage at one of their shows on the 28th or 29th is a different story and could have happened but again...proof?

14 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

This has been part of folklore for years and always just been wrong. 

Somehow Osmonds being at a Zep concert turnt into Osmonds being on stage with Zep

EC is so well documented I'm pretty sure we'd know if the Osmonds came on

Thank you.

7 hours ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

What? I vividly remember both Donny & Marie Osmond singing STH with Robert at the 24th show. However Marie promptly ran off the stage when Jimmy produced a whip and Bonzo muttered something about a bit of the old in out, in out.

In other words, never happened. AS mentioned above there is too much complete documentation  of both the 24th & 25th to prove no such situation occurred. Now regarding a member from LZ joining the Osmond's onstage at one of their shows on the 28th or 29th is a different story and could have happened but again...proof?

LOL. . the ol in out in out:)  We would have never heard the end of it if Percy was on stage for a Os song singing a duet or Bonzo doin maracas. . 

Due respect to all, the Osmonds onstage with Zep at EC never happened.  Those concerts were covered extensively by the UK music press and no mention was ever made of anything like that.

Further, Dave Lewis has written extensively about these concerts for decades (he was at all 5 gigs, and was present at the after party on the final night), and he has never mentioned, much less written about, a Zep/Osmonds onstage jam at the EC concerts.  If that had taken place he certainly would have chronicled it.

Taking everyone at good faith, this story is just a case of faulty memory.  After all, the period in question was only 43 years ago...

Maybe Jimmy has the show in the vaults, and since the bootleggers did not get to it first, he has no excuse not to release it. Maybe they were on the Moby Dick intro/outro with tambourines in hand.  Joking aside, Jimmy and Led Zeppelin seemed incredibly opened minded for being the biggest rock band in the world. Expressing fondness for Punk, when Punk was spitting on Zeppelin, Jimmy in that one interview saying he loves all guitar playing, its all good, I think when Steely Dan was brought up. I think that was why they were so great and successful, nothing was completely out of the question for them and they soaked it all in.

Not to disrupt this absurd thread, but I happened to watch a bit of the recent Donny Osmond special on PBS.  Holy crap !....The guy has turned into the Wayne Newton of his generation, all the way down to the outfits, the plastic surgery, the reminiscing, and the old ladies in front swooning over him.  I watched with jaw down, unable to change to the channel for a bit due to the 'car wreck effect'. 

The thought of Peter Grant allowing any of The Osmonds on stage in 1975 is truly absurd. 

7 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Not to disrupt this absurd thread, but I happened to watch a bit of the recent Donny Osmond special on PBS.  Holy crap !....The guy has turned into the Wayne Newton of his generation, all the way down to the outfits, the plastic surgery, the reminiscing, and the old ladies in front swooning over him.  I watched with jaw down, unable to change to the channel for a bit due to the 'car wreck effect'. 

The thought of Peter Grant allowing any of The Osmonds on stage in 1975 is truly absurd. 

This brings up a good point, I would think as tough as Grant was, he would bend to Jimmy's whims, especially on the artistic side of things, and vice versa for Jimmy on the business side.

Archived