World War II

apantherfrommd

2 hours ago, redrum said:

Last night I watched 'The Victors' (1963). It was an all star cast and the women were all beautiful. Eli Wallach played the tough sgt. Peter Fonda played a replacement and none of the squad took to him because he was 'new' and  he was trying to keep a stray dog. This really brought on the wrath of the squad and they threw him and the dog out of the tent. When Fonda tried to sneak the dog on the truck the sgt. (George Hamilton) tossed it to the side. Now this part they cut from the movie. As the truck left the dog began to follow and one of the guys says: "50 bucks I get him on the first shot." Bang! "That's 50 bucks you owe me!" Fonda, heartbroken, just hung his head after this. The movie is filled with great scenes and humor. 5 Stars on the Redrum-O-Meter. :)

THE VICTORS.jpg

I've never seen the Victors. I'll have to check that out.

Hey, Red. Have you ever seen Unbroken?

Just about everything in that was true. Last movie I saw with my dad and lady a couple years back.

18 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

I've never seen the Victors. I'll have to check that out.

Hey, Red. Have you ever seen Unbroken?

Just about everything in that was true. Last movie I saw with my dad and lady a couple years back.

We saw that. Great movie. :)

• 7 months later...
On 1/1/2016 at 5:33 PM, chef free said:

WWII is the biggest, most important social and political event in human history.  The remaking of the boarders of Europe, the Holocaust and the eventual establishment of Israel, the invention of the computer, the atomic bomb and the Cold War.

I saw a documentary and one historian said the greatest result was to bankrupt the British and the french and transfer their wealth and power to other countries. He blamed the imperialism of the UK for most of the conflicts around the world.  not sure if this is correct or not, but he said WW2 could be blamed on England and France for how they treated Germany after WW1.  This guy also said Japan did what they did for the same reason, to protect itself from the european empires that had invaded asia for centuries

2 hours ago, kipper said:

I saw a documentary and one historian said the greatest result was to bankrupt the British and the french and transfer their wealth and power to other countries. He blamed the imperialism of the UK for most of the conflicts around the world.  not sure if this is correct or not, but he said WW2 could be blamed on England and France for how they treated Germany after WW1.  This guy also said Japan did what they did for the same reason, to protect itself from the european empires that had invaded asia for centuries

Well, nothing happens within a vacuum. No one can exclusively blame Germany, Italy, and Japan for WWII as some of that shit was a long time coming not to mention behind the scenes political chess which the victors tried to erase from history post-WWII.

Indeed the Treaty of Versailles is blamed for helping to cause the conditions which lead to the war, but there were many other including the Great Depression which had destabilized Europe.  

English imperialism led to a lot of suffering for a lot or people for a lot of years, they spread slavery to the United States, and spread tobacco and opium around the world, we're still digging out from that!

3 minutes ago, chef free said:

Indeed the Treaty of Versailles is blamed for helping to cause the conditions which lead to the war, but there were many other including the Great Depression which had destabilized Europe.  

English imperialism led to a lot of suffering for a lot or people for a lot of years, they spread slavery to the United States, and spread tobacco and opium around the world, we're still digging out from that!

Ive always wonders why Britain gets a pass today like they are squeeky clean and everyone looks at America as the bullies. I mean just look how badly England treated Ireland and how so many Irish died or had to come to America.  Not trying to be political here and out of line but history is facsinating to me especially when you figure out the history we learn in school isnt the entire story.

13 hours ago, kipper said:

I saw the movie dunkirk and they made it seem like the English were heroes. Weird.

Every country makes their own into heroes. Disasters like Dunkirk get spun into a heroism. The rescue at Dunkirk was heroic but the fact that the English and French were retreating isnt really dwelt on. I'm sure the French think that the war was won by the efforts of their underground.... every country has its own spin on events. The English at Dunkirk and the French were outgunned, out manoeuvred etc etc. The fact they were not winning doesnt make their actions any less heroic. 

14 hours ago, Victor said:

Every country makes their own into heroes. Disasters like Dunkirk get spun into a heroism. The rescue at Dunkirk was heroic but the fact that the English and French were retreating isnt really dwelt on. I'm sure the French think that the war was won by the efforts of their underground.... every country has its own spin on events. The English at Dunkirk and the French were outgunned, out manoeuvred etc etc. The fact they were not winning doesnt make their actions any less heroic. 

Meh, everyone knows America won the war, for everyone. That is common knowledge! If not for us Yanks, the Japs & Krauts would be running the whole show. We alone, all by ourselves saved the worlds collective ass from the evils of Hitler, Tojo, & Mousolinni.

USA! USA! USA!!! #1

7 hours ago, redrum said:

80e86f68330d493078d27a97be42dcc2994b47f4

The victors were just as bad as the Nazi's.

What do you mean? Are you suggesting the Soviet soldiers actually raped over 2 million German women? Nah, they just took them on mandatory dates. Are you suggesting that American & British soldiers were running black market supply lines in post-WWII Europe which caused the deaths of thousands simply for some sweet profit? Surely sir you jest...

4 hours ago, IpMan said:

What do you mean? Are you suggesting the Soviet soldiers actually raped over 2 million German women? Nah, they just took them on mandatory dates. Are you suggesting that American & British soldiers were running black market supply lines in post-WWII Europe which caused the deaths of thousands simply for some sweet profit? Surely sir you jest...

Have you seen the film?

3 hours ago, redrum said:

Have you seen the film?

No but it looks interesting. I figure they likely address those two (out of many) issues that occurred from 1945 - 1948, and to a degree to 1952. My uncle who passed away a few years back was in the Army and stationed in Germany from January 1945 to sometime in 1947. My uncle was a world class Ferengi if you get my meaning. He was part of a large black market ring and made a fortune in the process. He never gave a single shit about anyone, only cared about himself and his money. He was a born con-man, cheat, and scumbag in general. He had mafia connections (not a made guy, an associate) and could charm the britches off of a cadre of nun's if given the chance. Everyone loved my uncle...until he screwed them over, which he always did. I asked him about his shenanigans during reconstruction and if he had any regrets, he said hell no. If anyone got hurt or even died he simply did not care, considered everyone a potential sucker and believed if you got swindled or were a victim you deserved it. I told him he reminded me of Harry Lime's character in The Third Man...he agreed.

6 hours ago, IpMan said:

No but it looks interesting. I figure they likely address those two (out of many) issues that occurred from 1945 - 1948, and to a degree to 1952. My uncle who passed away a few years back was in the Army and stationed in Germany from January 1945 to sometime in 1947. My uncle was a world class Ferengi if you get my meaning. He was part of a large black market ring and made a fortune in the process. He never gave a single shit about anyone, only cared about himself and his money. He was a born con-man, cheat, and scumbag in general. He had mafia connections (not a made guy, an associate) and could charm the britches off of a cadre of nun's if given the chance. Everyone loved my uncle...until he screwed them over, which he always did. I asked him about his shenanigans during reconstruction and if he had any regrets, he said hell no. If anyone got hurt or even died he simply did not care, considered everyone a potential sucker and believed if you got swindled or were a victim you deserved it. I told him he reminded me of Harry Lime's character in The Third Man...he agreed.

It's pretty grim. I only posted so that others may want to see how the 'conquered' became murderous animals themselves with the reprisals.

Your uncle sounds just like Henry Hill in 'Goodfellas.' Harry Lime would have been proud.

On 1/16/2018 at 12:27 PM, kipper said:

Ive always wonders why Britain gets a pass today like they are squeeky clean and everyone looks at America as the bullies. I mean just look how badly England treated Ireland and how so many Irish died or had to come to America.  Not trying to be political here and out of line but history is facsinating to me especially when you figure out the history we learn in school isnt the entire story.

Because England doesn't exist anymore. America is circling the drain as fast as it can, but not fast enough for leftists.

5 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Preposterous. Let me guess, this film is more left-wing revisionism?

:hysterical:

Oh man Steve, THAT one is priceless. My uncle was a dyed in the wool republican, which was not very popular among his Chicago goomba Goodfellas buddies I will tell you that. The conversations I had with him not only confirm the documentary, but far exceed it in terms of horror. He told me of how they would make the German women & girls beg for food like dogs, give them a little, then piss on the rest and give it to them. They were starving so they ate that right up. My uncle said he never raped anyone, but he did say he made starving girls and women "work" for their food if you get my drift. 

The fact is Steve is this documentary is not bashing any side, that is if you actually listened to it, but was an indictment of the horrors of just about any reconstruction under such circumstance. Human beings are brutal animals when left to their base instincts and this was simply the first time film and detailed photography was available to capture this. Talking about film, as this documentary contains actual footage, how exactly can you call this revisionism? Further, this is not some expose regarding information no one knew, pretty much anyone over the age of 45 knows this as it was taught in school, or at least everyone I have known, both right and left know this. Where have you been? The horrors of reconstruction were documented by such ardent left-wingers as Gen. Marshall himself, Gen. Patton, Gen. Eisenhower, Gen. Bradley, and Gen. Beedle Smith to name just a few.

This is not an American thing or a Soviet thing, it's a HUMAN thing. Just another example of how absolute power combined with a boiling desire for revenge can lead to atrocities and horror, regardless of ones political leanings or attitudes.

Archived