Jason Thinks Led Zeppelin Will Play Again

Whigged

Jimmy once said IF he did write an authorized autobiography, that he expected that there would be lawsuits. And so, he said he would release it posthumously, to avoid the drama.

Can you sue a dead person's estate for libel or defamation of character in the UK?

I can't answer your question Disco, but I think he'd be wise to make sure all his i's were dotted
and all t's crossed. In other words speak with his attorney about the subjects and events he
wants to talk about in his book. Find out if anything even 40+ years old could create a shit storm.

A candid book about the skeletons in Jimmy Page's closet could leave a hot hellish mess for his kids.
I assume his estate is being left to them. I'm a Pagey fan, but it's no secret to some there are eyebrow
raising details about his life. And who knows what lawsuits or legal action can stem from them. It's a
damn shame because it would be so cool if he could just sit down and spill without any worries about
lawsuits and shit being flung after his death.

My opinion is Led Zeppelin couldn't get back together proper because Robert insisted on buying back his publishing rights, and the new owners (Jones?) refused. 

Well, frankly speaking that just doesn't add up. First of all, Robert retained his publishing rights (he sold his rights to receive royalties from Led Zeppelin's back catalog). Secondly, if he were to pursue reacquiring his rights to receive royalties that would be between him and Atlantic Records--other band members really have nothing to do with it. 

He eventually finds his solo career isn't all that hot, and is talked-into the whole MTV Unplugged thing with Page

Talked into? MTV offered the Unplugged slot to Robert as a solo artist...it was Robert who then contemplated and ultimately invited Jimmy to get involved (according to Robert).

Jimmy is going to be age 72 in few days.   Jimmy was age 36 when Zeppelin disbanded.

...and as I've pointed out before, aside from the 02 show essentially no one under the age of 30 has EVER seen Page deliver a concert length performance. That, my friends, truly puts into perspective just how done this guy is as a performer!

What a sad fact to acknowledge :( however it definitely hasn't hurt the mans popularity
or Zeppelin's with people under 30. The Led Zeppelin re-mastering projects have been
greatly welcomed and appreciated by younger generations. A poll on here about average
age Zep fans on this board showed 16-23 as the majority. They may not post much *cough*
no comment why
-_- but there are always lurkers and guests on a daily basis. Twitter, Tumblr,
Instagram show a lot of Pagey and L Z love too. For those people the thought of seeing Jimmy
play live isn't even a  reality for them. They're content downloading the latest L Z re-master and
making Jimmy gifs and memes haha :D:P

Regarding Jason's interview. If Jimmy was popping up here and there as a guest guitarists -
some with Robert, or a few shows with Jason etc. then MAYBE a teeny weeny micro amount
of me would ponder the idea, but he's not, so it brings me back to why Jason said what he did.
It just seems so off the wall. Click bait like somebody said I guess.

...and as I've pointed out before, aside from the 02 show essentially no one under the age of 30 has EVER seen Page deliver a concert length performance. That, my friends, truly puts into perspective just how done this guy is as a performer!

I'm 30, saw him in 1995 on the unledded tour. when I was 9 at the Tacoma dome in Tacoma, WA

I'm 30, saw him in 1995 on the unledded tour. when I was 9 at the Tacoma dome in Tacoma, WA

Nine eh, bet you didn't go on your own though, family outing was it, your parents giving you a musical education. Anyway, nice one.

I can't answer your question Disco, but I think he'd be wise to make sure all his i's were dotted
and all t's crossed. In other words speak with his attorney about the subjects and events he
wants to talk about in his book. Find out if anything even 40+ years old could create a shit storm.

A candid book about the skeletons in Jimmy Page's closet could leave a hot hellish mess for his kids.
I assume his estate is being left to them. I'm a Pagey fan, but it's no secret to some there are eyebrow
raising details about his life. And who knows what lawsuits or legal action can stem from them. It's a
damn shame because it would be so cool if he could just sit down and spill without any worries about
lawsuits and shit being flung after his death.

What else is there to tell in either Page's and/or Zeppelin's story that hasn't been revealed so far?  It strikes me that Jimmy wants to retain some modicum of mystique to Led Zeppelin; despite everything we know from various books and articles and interviews down the years, he wants people to concentrate on the music not the mayhem... and I agree, I'm pretty tired of hearing the same old recycled stories of debauchery, drugs, and drinking, it wasn't interesting then (in fact much of it was tawdry, sordid, and frankly repulsive) and it sure isn't interesting now; I sorely wish Hammer of the Gods  had never been published to begin with because it's deliberately salacious tabloid contents have often been the thing many people remember about Zeppelin.  Yes, both Page and Bonham and Cole and Grant and Bindon all behaved pretty despicably at times - drugs, fame, wealth, power, and ego combined will do that to most - but none of that is important, what is important is the music, it's the only thing that matters and that's what I think the three surviving members want people to focus on, it's what keeps me coming back to their music time and again, the recent remasters were the success they were because of the music not because of the notorious mudshark incident (ugh!).

My Led Zeppelin books are gathering dust on the shelf, likely never to be opened again, and an autobiography from Jimmy won't be joining them in the result one is ever published (which I would put money on that it won't), but as for the albums... they're going to be played 'til they fall apart...

Well as we are seeing now there will always be some "core crust" Zep fans, probably even in 50 years. The thing is,

and obviously this is my subjective view, the "golden age" for rock'n'roll was the 60's and 70's. Certainly there are very

good  and excellent bands around from the 80's on, but not the Titans like Zep, Floyd, Hendrix, The Stones, The Allmans

etc.  who put on legendary live shows AND  release 4, 5 great albums  in row with few filler tracks. Of course over time

there will be some erosion of popularity and awareness, but just like some classical music  which is timeless, some tracks

from the  aforementioned bands will still be in wide circulation. Don't think so ??  Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, and John

Coltrane all have tremendous amounts of Jazz material that originated in the 40's  that is still burning strongly today.

Just now, The Old Hermit said:

What else is there to tell in either Page's and/or Zeppelin's story that hasn't been revealed so far? 

Quite a lot I think.  IMO, the real test of Zeppelin's musical merit and cultural importance will come after the band and its members has passed out of living memory; say in another fifty years or so.  Future scholars of popular music or culture might find the whole rock star phenomenon quite strange.   

I guess  for some strange reason  many fans are still unaware that for the 07' show Plant could not sing  a good amount

of the songs even close to the original key. Despite the very  good  performances, quite a few of these songs sounded

rather strange. Sabbath is a band known for its' heaviness in part because of the heavily de tuned guitar, if  the guitar

was tuned back to normal or higher that trademark sludge would  vanish. Another words, like a de-tuned Zep, it 

wouldn't sound right. Plant would have even more trouble now. Page would probably be alright, but Plant simply

CAN'T SING the songs. It is amazing how this thread somehow refuses to die.

20 minutes ago, Mithril46 said:

IIt is amazing how this thread somehow refuses to die.

Then let it die, and rejoice the legacy that's left.

PS........sorry you weren't in the O2 in 2007, you missed the magick no dvd could transmit.

9 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

I guess  for some strange reason  many fans are still unaware that for the 07' show Plant could not sing  a good amount

of the songs even close to the original key. Despite the very  good  performances, quite a few of these songs sounded

rather strange. Sabbath is a band known for its' heaviness in part because of the heavily de tuned guitar, if  the guitar

was tuned back to normal or higher that trademark sludge would  vanish. Another words, like a de-tuned Zep, it 

wouldn't sound right. Plant would have even more trouble now. Page would probably be alright, but Plant simply

CAN'T SING the songs. It is amazing how this thread somehow refuses to die.

Is there any reason why you refuse to let this myth die? That the songs for O2 were in different keys is not in dispute, and neither is the fact that this was done at least in part to accommodate Robert's voice. The issue - once again - is that you're linking it to quality (and by extension why a 'reunion' really isn't happening, which was addressed already) because it 'sounds rather strange' when the songs aren't in the same key as on the Zep records. The quality of the songs performed at the O2 was better than some shows Zep did singing-wise and playing-wise. So the fact that he can't sing in a higher key has nothing to do with whether or not the songs were sung well. Did Zep always play the songs in the same keys as on the records? Has Robert not been singing Zep songs - some reshaped, some not - for many years live after the O2? Should all singers who feel more comfortable singing their songs in different keys just hang it up because it's not exactly the same as on their records? What an absurd idea. It's another aspect to the jukebox notion of a tour that Robert said he wanted no part with. It's no wonder...

Isn't it strange how threads about what may be or what won't be are longer than the ones about what is? People get great music and tours and concerts yet what they don't get has more attention, like they're looking to the next thing for satisfaction rather than appreciating what has been given. 

Believe it or not, I basically agree with 95% of  what was responded to my posts. I have said countless times in many

threads that Robert is still an INCREDIBLE  singer. If Robert wanted to play with Jimmy, and  the  rest, there are

countless creative options available. But Robert doesn't want to do it. And in Zep, almost 100% positive only the 

Rain Song was played  in a different key. If  fans like the extremely tuned down songs, great. Everybody is entitled

to an opinion and possibly because I'm a musician there is a much different feel to songs  when keys are changed.

Just as a sort of example, I grew up on classic rock, and  although I like certain aspects of some thrash  metal, some of

the bands tune so low that now they are half percussion instruments. Iv'e never quite gotten use to this, my ear

is very sensitive and my frames of reference for guitar tuning  go back to Page, Richards, Winter, etc.(who all used some

unusual tunings). Plant I agree sounded great in 07'.

You have to ask yourself what would be the motivation for Zep to reform again? 

Financial - they are all wealthy (although more money never hurts).

Promote a new album - they have no new material.

Make amends for all the shoddy post-zep reunions  - they did this at the 02

Boredom - Maybe for Page, but Plant and Jones are musically active.

They are all old men now. I think they did the legacy justice at the 02. It's time to let it go.

Plant has only comeback to Zep when his solo career has faltered. Basically for selfish reasons. 

Page should make the most of his time left with some kind of substantial statement in the studio.

When you look at the 72 year old musicians out there, most are in bands, or have solo careers, that have been around for eons, and they want to keep their investment alive. On the flip side, we rarely see musicians who have been on extended hiatus,  suddenly get active when they turn 72. This does not speak well for the chances of Jimmy doing something new. His need to BS, continually, allows some people to hang on his every word, hoping that it will be different this time, but it's a fools errand to wait on Jimmy, and apart from the fact that he is full of baloney, I'm okay with him not being active. He has a great body of work for us to enjoy.  As for a Zeppelin reunion, why would they jeopardize the perfect bookend that they wrapped around their career in 2007? Anything of that scale, or at all, for that matter, is highly improbable. They ended with a great final concert, a great final live album, and a great concert film. There isn't much else for them to achieve, in the name of Zeppelin, and playing together. 

I think that Robert has a fear that Zeppelin could end up being classed as a nostalgia band and that may be staying his hand. I think Jimmy misses the passion of the old days; performing, partying and other stuff that comes with being a rock god, plus the great creative input he had to the albums alongside Robert. I get the impression that Jimmy's life is a bit underwhelming now that it's been over 35 years since the band were still in their prime. JPJ appears nostalgic for the good old days - he, like Jimmy, dabbles a bit here, dabbles a bit there and it does seem a little aimless. Robert is the only member that has had a consistently career since the end of the band and that must obviously make it harder for him to commit time and energy  to the band. Jason I think would love to spend some time as Bonzo II, to make his dad proud (which I'm sure he is!). OK, rambling over. The point about Robert's voice is spot on; he would increasing struggle to do justice to many of the old songs. Taking all things into account, if there is any future for the band then they should look at making a new album, one where the new songs are written to accomodate Roberts vocal limitations these days. It would the band a chance to exit on a creative high rather than as a nostalgic tribute band. If they decided to promote the album with some dates then they would mostly play numbers from the new album that does not force them out of their relative comfort zone, plus older songs that were more suitable for Roberts voice. Personally, if I had to choose between some more live dates or a new album, I'd be in the album line every time. I'm just imagining a scenario where the band could create and perform again without risking their legacy.

I think besides the necessary adaptations to Plant's voice if JPJ  was given much freedom with his computer music

explorations(present on his solo albums), things could be very interesting. But at this point the original 3 seem in

different universes let alone on different pages(no pun intended). And, I hate to say this, but even at 72, I am

not too convinced that Jimmy wouldn't mind  going on a world tour and a never ending party. In the interviews

of the last year and a half Jimmy certainly looked rather old in some, but expression and animation-wise IMO

he seemed full of vitality. In fact I'm not sure Iv'e seen anyone that age sparkling like that. Perhaps I'm seeing things.

Jimmy will do something. Don't know what. But something. And will probably tour. Most likely the "something" will contain tons of Zep material mixed with a bit of whatever he is creating nowadays or has created in recent years.

Most likely, guest musicians and singers will also appear to compliment a group he puts together.

If I am wrong, he will go back to Zep. This time attacking the live material and a release or releases will follow.

For the life of me I cannot understand how there is not a full, uncut, Royal Albert Hall release. But I digress.....

Yes, Jimmy will always be doing something Zep-related for the rest of his life, but that something will always be factored against his own time constraints, his enthusiasm, what will be the most financially rewarding, and what will be realistically "do-able".  I don't think he is going to waste any more years of his life chasing the Zep reunion enigma.  Despite that being his Holy Grail, he sank way too much time and emotion into that elusive dream. 

12 hours ago, Jukkin said:

I think that Robert has a fear that Zeppelin could end up being classed as a nostalgia band and that may be staying his hand. I think Jimmy misses the passion of the old days; performing, partying and other stuff that comes with being a rock god, plus the great creative input he had to the albums alongside Robert. I get the impression that Jimmy's life is a bit underwhelming now that it's been over 35 years since the band were still in their prime. JPJ appears nostalgic for the good old days - he, like Jimmy, dabbles a bit here, dabbles a bit there and it does seem a little aimless. Robert is the only member that has had a consistently career since the end of the band and that must obviously make it harder for him to commit time and energy  to the band. Jason I think would love to spend some time as Bonzo II, to make his dad proud (which I'm sure he is!). OK, rambling over. The point about Robert's voice is spot on; he would increasing struggle to do justice to many of the old songs. Taking all things into account, if there is any future for the band then they should look at making a new album, one where the new songs are written to accomodate Roberts vocal limitations these days. It would the band a chance to exit on a creative high rather than as a nostalgic tribute band. If they decided to promote the album with some dates then they would mostly play numbers from the new album that does not force them out of their relative comfort zone, plus older songs that were more suitable for Roberts voice. Personally, if I had to choose between some more live dates or a new album, I'd be in the album line every time. I'm just imagining a scenario where the band could create and perform again without risking their legacy.

To say that JPJ has dabbled here and there aimlessly is I think a disservice to his hugely creative and prolific body of work over the last 30 plus years.

Archived