Your Christmas Food Day

chillumpuffer

Now you all know I am partial to my food and drink. So whether it's a traditional feast or a veggie BBQ what are your arrangements for the table for the big day?

We always spend Christmas day together with family duties being done on Boxing Day

Breakfast:

A light affair but stout nonetheless. Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon. Toast and Juice.

We then go for a walk (weather permitting) in the Peaks

Lunch:

We have tried all sorts of things from The Big Bird to Lobster and Chips. The most embarrassing was collecting a Goose from the butchers only for me to announce that there was only 2 of us!:blink:

This year is:

A starter of Pear, Blue Cheese and Pancetta on a Rocket Salad. A Chablis to accompany

Rolled and stuffed Guinea Fowl, Roasted Leeks in a wholegrain mustard sauce and Sprouts. Chipolata Sausage, Gravy and a Red Onion and Cranberry Sauce. A Pinot Noir from New Zealand.

Plum Pudding and Vanilla Ice Cream. Cheese and Biscuits. A Late Harvest Orange Muscat from Australia

Supper:

Ham Sandwiches and nibbles of Mince Pies and salad. A Light Riesling

Now you all know I am partial to my food and drink. So whether it's a traditional feast or a veggie BBQ what are your arrangements for the table for the big day?

We always spend Christmas day together with family duties being done on Boxing Day

Breakfast:

A light affair but stout nonetheless. Scrambled Eggs with Smoked Salmon. Toast and Juice.

We then go for a walk (weather permitting) in the Peaks

Lunch:

We have tried all sorts of things from The Big Bird to Lobster and Chips. The most embarrassing was collecting a Goose from the butchers only for me to announce that there was only 2 of us!:blink:

This year is:

A starter of Pear, Blue Cheese and Pancetta on a Rocket Salad. A Chablis to accompany

Rolled and stuffed Guinea Fowl, Roasted Leeks in a wholegrain mustard sauce and Sprouts. Chipolata Sausage, Gravy and a Red Onion and Cranberry Sauce. A Pinot Noir from New Zealand.

Plum Pudding and Vanilla Ice Cream. Cheese and Biscuits. A Late Harvest Orange Muscat from Australia

Supper:

Ham Sandwiches and nibbles of Mince Pies and salad. A Light Riesling

You should open a restaurant, seriously!

enjoy C.P. :) 

Since I am spending Christmas with others, I have no control over the cooking this year. My brother and sister-in-law are vegan, I think there's a gluten-intolerant or two among the guests and maybe even a vegetarian or two. Going by prior Christmas dinners, roasted ham and turkey will most likely be the centerpiece.

I will let you know the specifics after the fact. I will definitely be bringing wine to the festivities. Still narrowing the specific vintner and vintage selection, but a bottle each of rosé, zinfandel, malbec or pinot noir, and eiswein will be accompanying me on Christmas day.

Depending on time, I might make some treats to take along as well...some Magic Bars and Christmas fudge perhaps.

Edited by Strider

You should open a restaurant, seriously!

enjoy C.P. :) 

Agree, stz! :yesnod:  

Brunch will be French toast made with brioche, bacon, coffee and juice.

We will host my extended family in the afternoon and will have a variety of food that  we snack on throughout the evening, including duck-chicken-sausage gumbo, grilled ham, beef tenderloin and cheese/condiments for making small sandwiches on yeast rolls. A grape and cheese platter, broccoli and cherry tomato platter, several dips and an assortment of desserts. Oh, and only because I'm dying to make Sath's cranberry sauce: oyster dressing and cranberry sauce.  My son will be mixing us tasty cocktails, mine will include champagne. :) 

^ That sounds amazing, dd! :) 

Nothing too cray-cray going on.  We will have breakfast here with Mrs. Walter's parents.  Scrambled eggs, bacon, cinnamon raisin toast,  biscuits and sausage gravy.  

Later we're having everyone over for dinner.  Very simple:  Maple glazed ham, twice-baked potatoes, grilled asparagus, steamed green beans, Mrs. Walter's cornbread and French rolls.  

That does it. Party at the CPs! And Strider, I'll bring a Chianti and a Barolo to complement your fine list. 

We don't do formal Christmas breakfasts or lunches, but the dinners are feasts. Will post all about it after awakening from what will surely be a carb coma :D 

Entertaining the Tyrant Queen's mother, so I will be serving up roast chicken, sweet potato mash, parsnips in honey, roast potatoes and yorkshire puddings. And the occasional sprout, naturally.

I have chosen the wine for the Christmas feast.

20151223_122320.thumb.jpg.f1802856d4b1d8

Now all that's left is to make the desserts and the Grand Marnier Cranberry Sauce...here's the recipe, Dd:

Homemade Grand Marnier Cranberry Sauce
1 12-ounce package fresh cranberries
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Juice of two oranges (any kind -- about 1 cup)
Zest of 1 orange
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier liquor

Plop all the ingredients into a heavy stock pot. Simmer on low (be sure to cover!) for about twenty minutes. You will hear the berries start popping and that is OK. Stir occasionally and make sure heat is very low. Refrigerate. Can be made up to four days ahead.

Edited by Strider

Christmas lunch will comprise of Chana Dal (soaked in a Tomato and Onion based Korma, with oodles of Pav Bhaji Masala), Egg Fried Rice (I eat it with some Tabasco Sauce, much to my mom's horror! :P) and Rotis, courtesy of my lovely mom and myself. It's a family tradition! ;) 

Christmas dinner will comprise of Onion based Uttapams, Sambar, Idli Milagai Podi and Curd. 

My mom and I are also trying our hand, at making a Strawberry Smoothie. 

Oh and may I add, I'm (as usual), in charge of the booze department! :P

I must say that, New Year is when the real festivities begin in my household. It will be rather dessert-centric this year, with Apple Pie, Lemon Tea Cake, plenty of Vanilla Custard and of course, Strawberry Jelly (what you Americans refer to, as jello) :)

The savoury dish will be traditional Southern Indian style Onion Bonda. B) 

Oh and I will be spending boxing day watching test match cricket, with my dad :) I will be cheering for England, CP! :cheer: 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87
Last Minute Change In The Menu :P

Christmas lunch will comprise of Chana Dal (soaked in a Tomato and Onion based Korma, with oodles of Pav Bhaji Masala), Egg Fried Rice (I eat it with some Tabasco Sauce, much to my mom's horror! :P) and Rotis, courtesy of my lovely mom and myself. It's a family tradition! ;) 

Christmas dinner will comprise of Onion based Uttapams, Sambar, Idli Milagai Podi and Curd. 

My mom and I are also trying our hand, at making a Strawberry Smoothie. 

Oh and may I add, I'm (as usual), in charge of the booze department! :P

I must say that, New Year is when the real festivities begin in my household. It will be rather dessert-centric this year, with Apple Pie, Lemon Tea Cake, plenty of Vanilla Custard and of course, Strawberry Jelly (what you Americans refer to, as jello) :)

The savoury dish will be traditional Southern Indian style Onion Bonda. B) 

Oh and I will be spending boxing day watching test match cricket, with my dad :) I will be cheering for England, CP! :cheer: 

I have no idea what most of those foods are but I am sure they are lovely :)

We had a roast marinated chicken with roast potatoes, onions, sweet potato, butternut pumpkin,  gravy and garlic bread.  I made a simple dessert from chocolate biscuits, caramel and cream and topped with shavings of salted caramel dark chocolate. 

For snacking there is cabonossi, crackers, dips and my favourite cheese - mersey valley.  Also Lindt lindor chocolates, cadbury favourite mix chocs, fresh cherries, apricots, mangos and strawberries. ...

Hmmm I am hungry now......

Kiwi, I hope you will also be cheering for Australia on boxing day!

Lunch while watching the test will be left over chicken, tiger prawns and pasta salad. :)

Edited by slave to zep

I have no idea what most of those foods are but I am sure they are lovely :)

We had a roast marinated chicken with roast potatoes, onions, sweet potato, butternut pumpkin,  gravy and garlic bread.  I made a simple dessert from chocolate biscuits, caramel and cream and topped with shavings of salted caramel dark chocolate. 

For snacking there is cabonossi, crackers, dips and my favourite cheese - mersey valley.  Also Lindt lindor chocolates, cadbury favourite mix chocs, fresh cherries, apricots, mangos and strawberries. ...

Hmmm I am hungry now......

Kiwi, I hope you will also be cheering for Australia on boxing day!

Lunch while watching the test will be left over chicken, tiger prawns and pasta salad. :)

Thanks, Julie! :friends: These dishes have their origins in northern and southern India and are just bursting with flavour! Your menu is sure making me hungry! I hope you had a wonderful time! :) And of course I'll be cheering for Australia tomorrow! It's going to be a cracker of a game, I bet! B) 

I hope CP, too will be watching the 1st test between England and the Proteas tomorrow! :) 

Looking forward to two test cricket matches! Twice the cricket, twice the fun!! :D 

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

I have chosen the wine for the Christmas feast.

20151223_122320.thumb.jpg.f1802856d4b1d8

Hi Strider! :wave: 

That looks like a very intriguing selection of wine! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas! :santa: 

Since Jack Daniel's happens to be one of your favourite whiskies, I am dedicating my whiskey selection to you, this Christmas, by opening a bottle of Jack Daniel's, in your honour! :friends: Cheers to you, my friend! It's an absolute pleasure knowing a terrific guy, like you! :toast:

002_zpskawauvye.jpg

001_zpsoxxfr4f5.jpg

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87
To add photos

Man, after a 36-hour food frenzy I say "¡no más!"...

Amen to that! :yesnod: 

The dip and dessert table.

image.thumb.jpeg.65262938e1faffe590da4a4

Made Sath's cranberry sauce. My first time, and I had as much fun making it as eating it.  Will definitely become a tradition, along with oyster dressing, which was also a first for me.

image.thumb.jpeg.1362fb750150f602a20dbfb

image.thumb.jpeg.56051da7cbf122b26fe31e4

Almost forgot to take pictures of the Christmas spread...so a lot of it was already eaten by the time I remembered to take a photo. But here's a few...

Christmas fudge, lemon bars, magic bars.

20151225_143315.thumb.jpg.dad5e69d384c32

Pesto puff pastry tree.

20151225_142840.thumb.jpg.5df59ca6927df9

My Christmas dinner plate...ham, stuffed mushrooms, mash potatoes 'n' gravy, yams with pecan crunch topping, Grand Marnier cranberry sauce, asparagus.20151225_141211.thumb.jpg.29c833b94ba7a8

Edited by Strider
Brain fart.

Amen to that! :yesnod: 

The dip and dessert table.

image.thumb.jpeg.65262938e1faffe590da4a4

Made Sath's cranberry sauce. My first time, and I had as much fun making it as eating it.  Will definitely become a tradition, along with oyster dressing, which was also a first for me.

image.thumb.jpeg.1362fb750150f602a20dbfb

image.thumb.jpeg.56051da7cbf122b26fe31e4

Bella bella bella!!! Simply gorgeous...love your tableware Dd!

Bella bella bella!!! Simply gorgeous...love your tableware Dd!

Thank you, Strider! :) 

Almost forgot to take pictures of the Christmas spread...so a lot of it was already eaten by the time I remembered to take a photo. But here's a few...

Christmas fudge, lemon bars, magic bars.

20151225_143315.thumb.jpg.dad5e69d384c32

Pesto puff pastry tree.

20151225_142840.thumb.jpg.5df59ca6927df9

My Christmas dinner plate...ham, stuffed mushrooms, mash potatoes 'n' gravy, yams with pecan crunch topping, Grand Marnier cranberry sauce, broccoli.20151225_141211.thumb.jpg.29c833b94ba7a8

Wow!  That is a fine plate of food, Strider!  Perfect, and I do love a colorful plate of food. Your broccoli looks like asparagus! ;) 

The pesto puff pastry looks as beautiful as I bet it tasted.  I love seeing the food pics, thanks for sharing!

A pic of my table candles at the end of the night.  Didn't realize until this morning that the middle candle melted uphill.  Cool.

image.thumb.jpeg.5370327fe0e14531c69e26b

Hi Strider! :wave: 

That looks like a very intriguing selection of wine! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas! :santa: 

Since Jack Daniel's happens to be one of your favourite whiskies, I am dedicating my whiskey selection to you, this Christmas, by opening a bottle of Jack Daniel's, in your honour! :friends: Cheers to you, my friend! It's an absolute pleasure knowing a terrific guy, like you! :toast:

I do love the Jack, no doubt, but I stayed away from the hard stuff this Christmas. Just wine and eggnog with brandy. By the way, all the wine was fantastic. Special mention to the Cline Zinfandel and the Incanto Vino Nobile, as they taste better than their less than $10 price would suggest.