What live song do you skip or endure?

Guest WD52

Missed this thread when it first started - it's an interesting one though.

To each their own of course. But I'm a little surprised that In My Time of Dying even was mentioned, let alone the impetus for the entire thread. It's one of my very favorite Zep tracks, and on the available recordings the band plays it well most of the time - in fact, of all the longer tracks they played from '75 onwards, it might be the most consistently well-performed.

As for which tracks I tend to skip, I must admit that I skip Moby Dick a lot, and often the Noise Solo too. Sometimes I also skip partway into the '77 versions of White Summer if Page is having an off night, although I don't skip it entirely because the final couple of minutes are a really cool intro to Achilles. And while some of those very long 1977 No Quarters are cool, a lot of them are... not so much. So I skip those if it's not a strong night for that song.

I also tend to skip Kashmir, Hot Dog, and White Summer when listening to the 1980 shows, because they f*** up Kashmir with alarming frequency on that tour, and by my count Page nails the Hot Dog solo exactly once (6-21 Rotterdam), and White Summer exactly never, out of the 14 shows on that tour .

Edited by tmtomh

9 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

only one,  Black Dog. Love the album version hate the live.

Even the '71 versions?!  The 8/21/71 LA version is SO good!  Bonham's bass drum sounds like a cannon, and Jimmy does this thing near the end of his solo that takes the intensity to a whole other level.

I think the '72 & '73 versions are mostly good too, although '75 was definitely not a good year for it.  There are a few versions from that year that are ok.  I don't skip the bad ones though...

6 hours ago, Cashmere said:

The Ocean is an absolute powerhouse live, but I usually skip that doo-wop bit at the end. It's a bit lame.

Really?  I love that part!  My band has been closing with "The Ocean" for about a year now, and the crowd loves that part.  Such a happy way to close things out. 

On 2/19/2018 at 10:42 AM, Bonzo_fan said:

Really?  I love that part!  My band has been closing with "The Ocean" for about a year now, and the crowd loves that part.  Such a happy way to close things out. 

The question is what lyrics do you guys use lol. I’ve racked brain to get the real lyrics in that song It’s a great song I play it as well

12 hours ago, Roberto said:

The question is what lyrics do you guys use lol. I’ve racked brain to get the real lyrics in that song It’s a great song I play it as well

So far, we haven't had any vocals in that section because we've had a couple vocalist changes over the past year, but I think now that we have that settled, I'll try to get the singer we have now to do something there.

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

I don't usually listen to shows past 75. Pre 75, I usually don't skip any except for Moby Dick or unless I already know it's gonna be a boring version of a certain song (like Black Dog could be in 73, for instance). Listening to 75 shows, I almost always skip Trampled Underfoot. I just find the live version tedious compared to the studio for some reason. I also usually skip the encores for 75 shows unless I know they'll be good/fun (which was not often in 75).  

I don't skip specific tracks but by 72/73 I'm skipping shows here and there as the set lists within each tour became nearly identical. Mind you, there was a reason for this. As the stage presentation became more extravagant, the lights/sound/effects crews had to know what was coming in order maintain the choreography. It may sound repetitive to us but the idea was they were performing to a different audience each night. Not unlike a stage play or even a stand-up comedian. I've often used the timeline as a reading companion as I'm listening. Contemporary reviews and fan experiences give a window into what it was like to be there. We get to listen to nigh on 200 shows but the feedback from those who were there reminds of the visual and physical - damn there they were loud! - aspects of a Zeppelin show. A bit of context never hurt! 🙂

Skip the Guitar Solo in 1977 for certain. Not crazy about the WLL/RAR encores from that tour either with the harmonizer effect Plant uses. Most years of Moby Dick but I do enjoy the Blueberry Hill version from 1970 as only 11 minutes at that point. Also Dazed from 1975 as way too long at 40 minutes plus. There may be some others I'm forgetting but most everything else I'll listen to.

19 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Skip the Guitar Solo in 1977 for certain. Not crazy about the WLL/RAR encores from that tour either with the harmonizer effect Plant uses. Most years of Moby Dick but I do enjoy the Blueberry Hill version from 1970 as only 11 minutes at that point. Also Dazed from 1975 as way too long at 40 minutes plus. There may be some others I'm forgetting but most everything else I'll listen to.

Yeah, D+C from 75 is f***ing tedious lol. I usually skip straight to the Woodstock/SF section then straight to the outro - or just skip the song altogether. There are a handful from that year that are killer and fly by for me, but they are rare. 

4 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Yeah, D+C from 75 is f***ing tedious lol. I usually skip straight to the Woodstock/SF section then straight to the outro - or just skip the song altogether. There are a handful from that year that are killer and fly by for me, but they are rare. 

I agree. One of the Seattle versions is very good from 1975, even though so long.

Moby Dick is the only song I consistently skip unless I am driving long distance in which case I skip it only 99% of the time 😉 

RnR from 73'-75'. Just horrible with Robert's voice issues. 

Kinda going off-topic a bit here but I also skip most boots from 75' where Robert's voice is bad regardless of the quality of the playing though there are exceptions such as Montreal where the playing is so damn good I endure Robert's attempt at singing. Case in point the famed 2-12 NY show. Sorry, I hate it because Robert is just really bad.  

1 hour ago, BobDobbs said:

Moby Dick is the only song I consistently skip unless I am driving long distance in which case I skip it only 99% of the time 😉 

RnR from 73'-75'. Just horrible with Robert's voice issues. 

Kinda going off-topic a bit here but I also skip most boots from 75' where Robert's voice is bad regardless of the quality of the playing though there are exceptions such as Montreal where the playing is so damn good I endure Robert's attempt at singing. Case in point the famed 2-12 NY show. Sorry, I hate it because Robert is just really bad.  

We have similar listening preferences - I do the same thing, regarding Robert's voice with Montreal being one of a few exceptions due to the band sounding so incredible and the vibe of the show. And Robert does get warmed up and sounding much better towards NQ. I hate 2-12 too for the same reason lol. But OTHAFA on that one is still great because he's really holding back and singing in a a more restrained way ... he really didn't wanna f--k that one up and it shows. His vocal performance at the beginning of the song has a vulnerable quality to it that really adds something special. And of course Jimmy's solo is fantastic. 

It's ok to go a little off-topic, I think we're still in the ball park of the discussion. It's not like these threads get a ton of responses. 😂    

The same as most folk it seems.
D&C should have been dropped after ‘73. WS/BMS too long on the 77 tour, if it had have been two minutes long, just as everyone sits down and contemplates going to the bar, thinking it’s going to go on for a while,  and then straight into Kashmir, it would have been a great intro. And it should never have even been allowed on the 80 tour, terrible.

the 77 noise solo: without its context within D&C, I find it too long and boring. It has good bits obviously but they’re buried by indulgence instead of dynamism.  Any MD/ OTT over 15 minutes from song start to end. I’m not a drummer, but it doesn’t matter, I don’t want to watch a bloke on stage alone twatting about for up to half an hour, even if it is John Bonham, or Jimmy Page. I’m a guitarist and Page is my favourite but FFS,  30 minutes is a long time 

30 - 35 minutes is the length is the length of a standard vinyl album. For the hour that Page & Bonham spent alone on stage on the 77 tour, they could have played nearly all of Zeppelin 2 & 4, or two of any of their albums you fancy. 

having said that, I want there to see any of these shows and maybe being there was probably the key element,